997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just a few video's from No Fly Zone Midwest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:22 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
Cool thanks ok so basically you have a 997.1 Tip with stock turbos, tune, exhaust and intercoolers? 163 traps are awesome for that mod combination, congrats. My guess is that's what like 520-530 wheel HP?

It will probably be over 100 degrees at Gila Bend this weekend so I'm not counting on seeing those traps even though my M3 likely makes more power in a relatively cool sea level situation. But at 100+ I'm guessing high IATs will kill power.
Great....Have fun....Will look for the videos. Good luck..

DC

Also...Here are my best and worst slips:

Last edited by therock88; 09-30-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Somy has a spectacular aura aboutSomy has a spectacular aura about
Nice pulls!! Was that GTR even racing??

Not to thread jack, I'm just excited about Saturday!

Name:  1001151806a-1_zpsmkaf1vcp.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  145.6 KB

Old 10-01-2015, 08:39 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Nice runs!

23-24psi on a pump 93 tune !! Wow seams like a lot of psi's for pump, unless they have timing way down on that tune!

Just thinking out loud, my tune doesn't even run that on E85!

22-23 psi on E85
18-19 psi on 94 pump

Either way your machine seamed like it was moving out!

Todd's older tunes used to do 22psi on pump but later on he backed off on boost and upped the timing. When I had the 63s it was 22psi on the 94pump.

Nice runs Rock! I was impressed how it pulled on the Hellcat and the M5.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Todd's older tunes used to do 22psi on pump but later on he backed off on boost and upped the timing. When I had the 63s it was 22psi on the 94pump.

Nice runs Rock! I was impressed how it pulled on the Hellcat and the M5.
Thanks....and to be clear, if you are refering to those first videos, they are the OP's. Mine is the later post...Don't want to steal credit for his good runs

DC

Old 10-02-2015, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by Obb
therock88 how do you like the tranny inserts? Nvh?
I like them a lot...I installed them at the same time as the RSS motor mounts, so hard to isolate, but the combo does add a little nvh...nothing bad...and it actually feels a little racier to me...depends on taste I guess...But I like!

With the two installed I love the much more solid feeling....no sloshy feeling on hard acceleration, shifting point, or in hard turns. And not bad to install.

Good luck...
DC

Old 10-02-2015, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by Obb
Do you daily your car? Would you mind the added nvh in a daily driver?
Hi,

Again, very subjective and personal preference to be clear. So speaking only for myself...I do daily drive (mostly) during summer, spring months (as long as it is not snowing, salty, etc.) and do not mind it at all.

You definitely feel the slight vibration, but not terribly harsh...it just makes you feel the motor more (remember I have the trans and motor mounts). It feels very tight when it shifts...use to feel sloppy. At certain speeds, the main thing you notice is the items in the rear view look a little fuzzy Let off the gas and it clears up...no biggie.

I feel it is worth the slight vibration, some may not. Also, pretty easy to switch back if you hate it.

Hope that helps.

DC

Old 10-03-2015, 08:14 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
Thanks....and to be clear, if you are refering to those first videos, they are the OP's. Mine is the later post...Don't want to steal credit for his good runs

DC
whoops. yes the OPs runs were nice but I liked your run against the Trans Am too. The other runs were nice but it looked like you were alone since you were always ahead.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
whoops. yes the OPs runs were nice but I liked your run against the Trans Am too. The other runs were nice but it looked like you were alone since you were always ahead.
Haha...No problem, and thanks...Just did not want to steal his thunder. And yes, maybe next time I will get more sophisticated with the camera/angles/etc.. A learning experience. Afterwards, I thought about that. Sad part is, we have multiple fancy cameras and camcorders and ended up just using my LG phone and my wife's iPhone

The group did ask to install GoPro's in my car for a few runs, so I assume once they have time to edit their media, there should be more. I also have more, and if I get time, will likely put together more clips etc...

Take care
DC

Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 PM
993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !
Seems your tip is hauling the mail. Congrats! Could you give me your.02 on the transmission feel? Seems a lot of people don't like the tip and others do. Just hard to get a sense of feel on it. Debating on a Tip or 6Speed.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by 993Godspeed
Seems your tip is hauling the mail. Congrats! Could you give me your.02 on the transmission feel? Seems a lot of people don't like the tip and others do. Just hard to get a sense of feel on it. Debating on a Tip or 6Speed.
HaHa...Well.That is a hot potato So I will start with "it is a very subjective topic"...And definitely two camps...Some people love to "row through the gears",
and to many in that group the Tiptronic may be referred to as a "slushbox". So to each his own....

My opinion and experience is ...I really like the Tip, and find it very durable, responsive, and no worries about changing (or slipping) clutch. Now, if I had my wish, it would be a PDK hooked to a 997.1 TT Mezger ...But, short of that I really do like the Tip. I have installed 75A Durometer RSS/Torque Solutions semi-solid motor mounts, transmission mounts respectively and find it helps it feel more snappy and less sloppy. Adds a little NVH, but not much, and feels a lot more like a race car to me.

I do have a 987 Boxster S, tuned with a few mods also and a Porsche OEM 6 Speed Short Shift option, and will say, I absolutely can not shift as fast as tapping through the Tip...No way! Partly maybe due to me being 6'4" and big feet, but I just cannot tear through the gears like the Tip does. Still fun, but not as easy to get through them.

Again, that is my opinion. Everyone has one. I would suggest you try them both out and see what works best for you. Another consideration is sitting in traffic (we don't have much), but if you have a lot...kind of sucks having to keep fiddling with the manual.

Another consideration, is that some feel the Manual will one day be worth much more than the Tip? Will have to wait that out and see...You never know how things will change/evolve. Because people keep saying that on the forums, you kind of get a sense there is an immediate false escalation to some extent right now...like a run on a bank, when someone says they will have no more money...Poor Jimmy Stewart ....There was a time when cell phones just made calls...now they are about to overtake PC's ....

Hope that helps, or at least entertains...

DC

Last edited by therock88; 10-06-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:18 PM
AZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really nice
No Fly AZ- Gila Bend

Had a great time Sunday, said hello to a few of the people who were there, but mostly made a lot of passes. 19 in 3 hrs. I have had this car a month, after trading in my 996T. And this was basically the first drive at WOT.

I seemed to be pretty matched against cars in its HP range, but of course not up against 650HP Z06 or 1000HP 996T or 600HP BMW. But you run who shows up. Had a great time with a bunch of guys who love there cars.

Top speed 148.3 on a completely stock car. No Passenger. 93 oct pump.

I think the wind was a factor for some of the higher HP cars on Sunday. I got nervous 1 or 2 runs with a 20+ cross wind. Temp was mostly in 80's while I was there.

Tony puts on a great event.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:24 PM
AZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by 993Godspeed
I am on my 2nd Porsche Turbo Tip. I was more interested in the rest of the car,than the trans decision. My daily driver is a 6MT Mini S. So, I shift every day. I really like the Turbo TIP. It is fun to play with in most situations.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. If either one that I have had, would have been MT, I would have got it. But it wasn't a decider.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AZ996TT
Had a great time Sunday, said hello to a few of the people who were there, but mostly made a lot of passes. 19 in 3 hrs. I have had this car a month, after trading in my 996T. And this was basically the first drive at WOT. I seemed to be pretty matched against cars in its HP range, but of course not up against 650HP Z06 or 1000HP 996T or 600HP BMW. But you run who shows up. Had a great time with a bunch of guys who love there cars. Top speed 148.3 on a completely stock car. No Passenger. 93 oct pump. I think the wind was a factor for some of the higher HP cars on Sunday. I got nervous 1 or 2 runs with a 20+ cross wind. Temp was mostly in 80's while I was there. Tony puts on a great event.
Nice to meet you! You seemed to have in a great time and I saw you make a lot of passes. 148.3 was a fantastic MPH for a stock 997.1 congrats.

I noticed after looking at the video of our race that it appeared you weren't accelerating at the starting cones. I think you floored it there but because you have some lag you didn't start accelerating until after the cones. Maybe you figured this out as the day progressed that on a laggy car you need to time it such that you go WOT a bit before he cones so that at that point you reach the cones you are at full acceleration.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by longboarder
Nice to meet you! You seemed to have in a great time and I saw you make a lot of passes. 148.3 was a fantastic MPH for a stock 997.1 congrats.

I noticed after looking at the video of our race that it appeared you weren't accelerating at the starting cones. I think you floored it there but because you have some lag you didn't start accelerating until after the cones. Maybe you figured this out as the day progressed that on a laggy car you need to time it such that you go WOT a bit before he cones so that at that point you reach the cones you are at full acceleration.
Yes, this is absolutely what was happening, and I was on a learning curve. I was trying to hit cones at 40ish, which was below turbo boost point, and then I wasn't on boost till past cones. When I came off the start a little harder, probably hitting 50 at cones, then was on boost without the lag issue.

Hope you and the SoCal crew all had a good trip back!

Old 10-07-2015, 12:22 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AZ996TT
Yes, this is absolutely what was happening, and I was on a learning curve. I was trying to hit cones at 40ish, which was below turbo boost point, and then I wasn't on boost till past cones. When I came off the start a little harder, probably hitting 50 at cones, then was on boost without the lag issue.

Hope you and the SoCal crew all had a good trip back!
Ok you will be dialed in for next time

By the way the McLaren 12C was trapping 151-ish so you were flying out there. I bet your 148 was pretty close to the stock 997.2 Turbo S that was out there on Saturday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just a few video's from No Fly Zone Midwest