997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

RWD Turbo= BEAST

Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 AM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
RWD Turbo= BEAST

I was having a vibration issue with my front diff. The tech disconnected the front drive shaft and told me to try it out. Well the vibration is gone and the car feels better than ever!!

Positives:

The car feels much much faster
The car feels more agile
The steering is less twitchy
The steering is lighter
The car itself feels more of a go cart, very raw.

Negatives:
Obviously less grip from a stop
Will go through tires faster

I know a lot of people seem to think RWD total destroys the the car, however I think the benefits of RWD outweigh the negatives. My car has H&R lowering springs and TPC suspension computer.

Could it be the TPC module making my RWD Turbo into a beast?

*My shafts are still connected to the front diff. The only component that was removed was the front drive shaft. There are no cells associated with this mod, my traction/ abs work as they should. (Update on post 25 - FWD drive-train has been removed)

Last edited by mikestyle; 07-15-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
TPC module is certainly doing its thing, always, as its in control of your dampers. You've also gained some power/acceleration by removing the front driveshaft as the car effectively doesn't incur a loss from using the front drive and all the power is shifted to the rear, at the expense of loss of overall traction which may somewhat play into placebo effect of gained power/rawness. Great to hear you're having fun out there as temps are starting to dip here in the GTA.

Dzenno@PTF

Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikestyle
I was having a vibration issue with my front diff. The tech disconnected the front drive shaft and told me to try it out. Well the vibration is gone and the car feels better than ever!!

Positives:

The car feels more agile
The steering is lighter

Negatives:

I know a lot of people seem to think RWD total destroys the the car, however I think the benefits of RWD outweigh the negatives. My car has H&R lowering springs and TPC suspension computer.

*My shafts are still connected to the front diff. The only component that was removed was the front drive shaft. There are no cells associated with this mod, my traction/ abs work as they should.
What year is the car? I thought it would trigger a cel if you just disconnect the front shaft in a 997tt? Which shop do you use, just curious.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Slate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant future

Positives:

The car feels more agile
The steering is lighter

Negatives:

*My shafts are still connected to the front diff. The only component that was removed was the front drive shaft. There are no cells associated with this mod, my traction/ abs work as they should.
Wonder how long the rear diff. will last this way, does it make a difference? looks like fun though, also a pro is that you could probably use any tire combination with no ill effect?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:23 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by The Bogg
What year is the car? I thought it would trigger a cel if you just disconnect the front shaft in a 997tt? Which shop do you use, just curious.
Car is a 2007, this was done by the dealer. No cel at all. Contrary to what you read.. However if i were to remove the front diff and axle shafts then a cel would be present as the car would be missing some speed sensors.

Originally Posted by Slate997TT
Wonder how long the rear diff. will last this way, does it make a difference? looks like fun though, also a pro is that you could probably use any tire combination with no ill effect?
From what I hear there are some track enthusiasts that have done the conversion with no ill effects. However considering im also running stage 2 Cobb tune, time will tell. As per the tire spec im sure I can run any size I want as the system is now effectively disconnected. GT2 RS spec here I come!

Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
TPC module is certainly doing its thing, always, as its in control of your dampers. You've also gained some power/acceleration by removing the front driveshaft as the car effectively doesn't incur a loss from using the front drive and all the power is shifted to the rear, at the expense of loss of overall traction which may somewhat play into placebo effect of gained power/rawness. Great to hear you're having fun out there as temps are starting to dip here in the GTA.Dzenno@PTF
Yes I find in 2nd gear when it is cold out I cannot just cram WOT as I would do before, anything mid 2nd gear and up there are no traction issues. Some fresh and wider tires in the future and im sure traction will not be an issue. That being said 1/4mile will certainly not be as quick but im sure anything with a rolling start I will be a lot quicker! I have not been on the track yet but from how the car feel and handles right now on the street I do not think a LSD is necessary.

Last edited by mikestyle; 10-05-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:49 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Anyone Track their car without the Driveshaft attached?

Any issues? Any improvements?

Old 10-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Car is a 2007, this was done by the dealer. No cel at all. Contrary to what you read.. However if i were to remove the front diff and axle shafts then a cel would be present as the car would be missing some speed sensors.
if thats the case possibly like the 996 turbo you simply disassemble the front axles remove the stub and reinstall it into the spindle with the sensor wheel.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
Anyone Track their car without the Driveshaft attached?

Any issues? Any improvements?
Aye! I smell a rwd conversion in your future. My bet is 1-1.5sec at HPR. All you need to do is add an LSD and start breaking rear hubs.... Come on... do it!!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Aye! I smell a rwd conversion in your future. My bet is 1-1.5sec at HPR. All you need to do is add an LSD and start breaking rear hubs.... Come on... do it!!

Haven't hit pro status just yet. Bank account just cant keep up with that..

Curious on this though..

Would be nice to test a free mod excluding the weight loss. Would hate to test it on the road only to find out, at the track, 150mph, the ECU forgets that the car has brakes in the front.

Doesn't this mod give dash errors on the dyno? I only assume that this is due to the front wheels not moving but, under extreme driving conditions, how does the car react?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
Would be nice to test a free mod excluding the weight loss. Would hate to test it on the road only to find out, at the track, 150mph, the ECU forgets that the car has brakes in the front.

Doesn't this mod give dash errors on the dyno? I only assume that this is due to the front wheels not moving but, under extreme driving conditions, how does the car react?
I bet Chris could make it work. No doubt in my mind. He loves a good challenge. Any way you'd slice it, you'd need to do a LSD when ditching the front drive..

Old 10-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
check the guibo in the driveshaft. its probably ripped

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Interesting approach. I would be curious to see/hear how the car behaves on a road course when pushed to the limits...???

Hmmmmm.........

Old 10-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Gem Mook is on a distinguished road
how is this holding up? very keen on road course feedback as well

Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 AM
This mod great, I have pushed it into the 240kmph mark without issues. Again no codes, I find the car is more stable at high speeds as the front wheels do not follow road imperfections as much. Handling definitely less twitchy when at and over the limit. Again I do not have any experience on the track with it yet. I know there are a couple local guys that do the RWD conversions for the primary concern being track days.

If you guys want to try it, I would suggest pulling the front drive shaft out. Simple cost effective mod and is easily reversible.

From what I read the 996 guys suggest to keep the front diff in the vehicle (but not connected) so you do not have any negative handling issues. With the front diff removed the front end of the vehicle becomes to lite and then you need to play with suspension settings to fine tune the vehicle. With the weight of the front diff in place, the car is already balanced and there is no need to play with suspension settings.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Gem Mook is on a distinguished road
This mod great, I have pushed it into the 240kmph mark without issues. Again no codes, I find the car is more stable at high speeds as the front wheels do not follow road imperfections as much. Handling definitely less twitchy when at and over the limit. Again I do not have any experience on the track with it yet. I know there are a couple local guys that do the RWD conversions for the primary concern being track days.

If you guys want to try it, I would suggest pulling the front drive shaft out. Simple cost effective mod and is easily reversible.

From what I read the 996 guys suggest to keep the front diff in the vehicle (but not connected) so you do not have any negative handling issues. With the front diff removed the front end of the vehicle becomes to lite and then you need to play with suspension settings to fine tune the vehicle. With the weight of the front diff in place, the car is already balanced and there is no need to play with suspension settings.
and, if you could please clarify,(as I also own a 2007 997.1TT) what year is your car?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RWD Turbo= BEAST