997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Update to "Substantial oil in Turbo Outlet Hose" Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Finnegan is a name known to allFinnegan is a name known to allFinnegan is a name known to allFinnegan is a name known to allFinnegan is a name known to allFinnegan is a name known to all
Smile Update to "Substantial oil in Turbo Outlet Hose" Thread

***Update***

Looks like Tom (see Tom's response from the original thread below) nailed it! Thanks Tom! The dealer didn't note that an overfill of oil might be a cause or offer the simple "fix" of changing the oil.

I drained the oil and refilled it to the halfway point. After just over 500 miles post change, the only oil I can find is what I'd consider residual oil (maybe 1 tsp). I'll chalk that up to what was in the intercooler still draining.

Now I'll clean out the system and install a few new goodies while I'm at it.

This is the second Porsche I've bought that was overfilled. Not to mention having to stand on my head to get dealers to use the right fluids on a break in service on an E90 M3 and a Z4M. DIY and it's done right!

Original thread

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Double check to make sure the car was not overfilled with oil. On the 997.2's the passenger side turbocharger outlet will accumulate excess oil that overflows when the car is overfilled. Maybe do a fresh oil change, put on a few miles, then check again.

We see a lot of customer (and unfortunately sometimes shops) that will read the oil level in the dash, and when they see it says "fill", they'll automatically start with a full quart. I recommend 1/4 quart increments, and never go to the top line in the digital gauge, to make sure you don't overfill.

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-07-2015 at 10:14 PM.