997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tips with out of state sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:28 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Tips with out of state sale

Hey everyone,

I found a 997tt out of state for sale by a private owner. Seller seems like a straight up honest and good guy; he has answered all of my questions and then some. Car is currently scheduled for a PPI. But I would still like to get some sort of "protection" as a buyer.

Pending PPI, a few questions: how would you recommend doing the financial transaction so it's fair to both parties? Would be all cash purchase. I just don't have the time to fly out of state due to work and family commitments.

Could I do some type of wire transfer via Paypal or my bank and "hold" payment until the shipping company picks up the car? What about the title transfer? Seller has the title clear and free. How do we ensure I get the title?

What have some of you done in the past that has worked?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
the only way i would do a cash transfer and not be there in person for the sum of a porsche would be to retain an attorney in the state your purchasing the car and do the transaction thru him. send the attorney the cash he gets the title and paperwork to send to you.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
I wouldnt trust a PPI either. What is that mechanic going to do when you bring it home and something happens? Oh nothing.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I bought mine not just out of state but out of country, but it was at a non-Porsche dealership. Managed to do the transaction through the P dealership nearby and was able to buy the cpo warranty that way. But if I was buying a car private sale I would have probably taken the time to go get the car in person. heck we are all busy and have family commitments but it's a lot of money! If you really can't go in person but know this car is the one maybe get a lawyer involved, I think it's called escrow. Peace of mind is worth the fee...

Old 11-19-2015, 05:53 AM
Sobrut911 is on a distinguished road
I sold my Ford GT to a buyer in CA and he had me take the signed title to my bank and instruct them to send it upon receipt of the wired funds. He then called the bank to make sure they had it and no lien holders. He then wired the funds to my account. I had my bank wait until funds cleared before sending title. To my amazement he didn't do any ppi. In addition to a ppi, I would get an authorization for release of information from the buyer and the name of dealer/mechanic who serviced the car and obtain service records directly from dealer/mechanic. If buyer is not willing to give you direct access to the service records I would be very concerned. I would also find the time to take a look at it and take test drive.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:11 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Get a broker or escrow service. Roy Cats in Seattle can help you out

Old 11-22-2015, 02:46 PM
cats is on a distinguished road
I could not buy a used car sight unseen, undriven.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
I bought my 997.2TTS without seeing it in person. At the time it was in the possession of its second owner, with a little over 5000 miles. So the car was pretty pristine. My seller gave me a lot of information about the car that I was able to verify via a local, independent mechanic who performed the PPI. (Someone in this thread asked what the mechanic can do for you once you get the car home. Well, nothing of course. If you are looking for a PPI, you shouldn't expect any guarantee. That kind of thinking is what makes shops less and less inclined to do PPIs. Anyway, I digress...)

PPI provided me a report over the phone along with about 100 different pictures, DMI report, pretty much from soup to nuts. Again, it was a low miles car and it was pretty pristine.

Since the inspection was satisfactory, we entered into a written contract which spelled out the terms of the sale, recapped below...

1.) Seller sends me pictures of the title, front and back. Purpose was to verify no liens against the car.
2) I wired 50% of the money to Seller's bank account.
3) Seller signed the title over to me and Fedex'd it to me.
4) I wired the balance
5) I arranged for transport to pick up the car in Florida and deliver to Oklahoma.

You will also want to agree to and execute a bill of sale, complete with an odometer statement. It should be executed by seller and sent with the title.

In my case, my seller was a prominent businessman in the Miami area, and was very researchable. I also am fairly savvy, and spent so much time on the phone with him that I got a good feel for him. (This shouldn't be taken lightly in my opinion--trust your gut) As it turns out, there was absolutely NOTHING misrepresented about the car. It was a fantastic deal. Smooth, honest, and I still am loving the car!

Good luck to you, sir! PM me if I can be of any help. I don't pretend to be an expert, just someone who has been in your shoes.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
I have done many deals sight unseen, short answer is your always taking a chance. PPIs don't catch everything. I have a buddy who just purchased a carrera gt and an Enzo in the same month without ever seeing the cars !

Old 11-25-2015, 09:04 AM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Domer911
I bought my 997.2TTS without seeing it in person. At the time it was in the possession of its second owner, with a little over 5000 miles. So the car was pretty pristine. My seller gave me a lot of information about the car that I was able to verify via a local, independent mechanic who performed the PPI. (Someone in this thread asked what the mechanic can do for you once you get the car home. Well, nothing of course. If you are looking for a PPI, you shouldn't expect any guarantee. That kind of thinking is what makes shops less and less inclined to do PPIs. Anyway, I digress...)

PPI provided me a report over the phone along with about 100 different pictures, DMI report, pretty much from soup to nuts. Again, it was a low miles car and it was pretty pristine.

Since the inspection was satisfactory, we entered into a written contract which spelled out the terms of the sale, recapped below...

1.) Seller sends me pictures of the title, front and back. Purpose was to verify no liens against the car.
2) I wired 50% of the money to Seller's bank account.
3) Seller signed the title over to me and Fedex'd it to me.
4) I wired the balance
5) I arranged for transport to pick up the car in Florida and deliver to Oklahoma.

You will also want to agree to and execute a bill of sale, complete with an odometer statement. It should be executed by seller and sent with the title.

In my case, my seller was a prominent businessman in the Miami area, and was very researchable. I also am fairly savvy, and spent so much time on the phone with him that I got a good feel for him. (This shouldn't be taken lightly in my opinion--trust your gut) As it turns out, there was absolutely NOTHING misrepresented about the car. It was a fantastic deal. Smooth, honest, and I still am loving the car!

Good luck to you, sir! PM me if I can be of any help. I don't pretend to be an expert, just someone who has been in your shoes.
That's great info to know, thanks for the post! Rep points for you good sir. I'll definitely PM you should any questions arise.

Congratz on the 997.2TTS! I'm sure it puts a smile on your face each time you see it in your garage

Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I don't have the stomach to purchase sight unseen. Aside from the paperwork details, I would throw a request to those on this forum who might be local to your purchase and request he or she look at it on your behalf. This happens all the time and IMO is added security to the condition factor.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by PSTT07
I don't have the stomach to purchase sight unseen. Aside from the paperwork details, I would throw a request to those on this forum who might be local to your purchase and request he or she look at it on your behalf. This happens all the time and IMO is added security to the condition factor.
Looks like we are in the same area Did you lose power during last week's wind storm?

Mind me asking whereabouts did you acquire your 997tt? Not too many 911 turbos for sale in the NW.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:47 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Originally Posted by docboy
Looks like we are in the same area Did you lose power during last week's wind storm?

Mind me asking whereabouts did you acquire your 997tt? Not too many 911 turbos for sale in the NW.
I sold my turbo in April and picked up a '13 Lambo. I originally purchased the car in '09 when I was living in Phoenix. Lots of options there as you know. Let me know what you end up doing.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:54 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
I've purchased almost every car I've ever owned out of state. Never had an issue. Talking to the seller on the phone is a great way to determine their character, IMO.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I would not trust a ppi. A simple boost leak test and a scan of codes as well as a datalog of a 3rd gear is more important to me then a ppi. Has he car been beat up. Put back to stock ? Hoes the clutch as most tunes will fry the clutch. Etc.
Markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL