997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GMG WC-GT Roll Bar = Leg Room? False. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 06:00 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
GMG WC-GT Roll Bar = Leg Room? False. Suggestions?

I picked up a 997 GMG World Challenge bar as it offered (quoting from GMG's site) - "Designed to work standard reclining seats or GT3 fixed back seats offering drivers the ability to move the seat all the way back (Not possible with the factory Tequipment Rollbar) " Perhaps "standard" means non-sport adaptive, which could be the issue here? However, I am not sure if the standard seats have a thinner base & backing in comparison.

While I am familiar with the limitations of the tequipment bar, this statement as I interpreted it is false.

The factory seat is unable to move all the way back, in fact, I've lost a good 4-5" of movement, forcing my knees to touch the steering wheel unless i move it as close as possible to myself and in the highest upright position.

I am 6'3" and I do not have a problem fitting in factory sport seats without the bar, in fact, it'm quote comfortable in the car without it. However, after going through the torture of installing it myself, it's really ruined the ride for me as I am not even comfortable in the car and safety is compromised because if my foot is on the clutch (depressed) during a turn, my hands hit my knees, making it difficult to turn.

I also tried a Recaro SPG-XL on Brey Krause sliders and had EVEN LESS ROOM!

My next option is to try a Brey Krause floor mount and see if that makes any difference with a Recaro Seat. If this doesn't fit it, I'll be removing the bar as it's made the ride unsafe and uncomfortable.

Has anyone experience something similar with the GMG WC / WC-GT bars?

Happy Holidays!

Loss of room, pictured for reference.

Last edited by dhahlen; 11-26-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
darrin i don't have any answers but if you decide to remove it i likely have a buyer for you

glad to see you have the new beast back! how does it feel at 7000 rpm!!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:59 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Feels great! Just wish I could stretch my damn legs. LOL

Old 11-27-2015, 06:36 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
Feels great! Just wish I could stretch my damn legs. LOL
Probably easiest to just cut part of your legs off?

Old 11-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Raider89 is on a distinguished road
I installed the GMG LMS Harness roll bar instead of World Challenge for concern of seat movement. I can tell you the Harness roll bar does allow full seat movement. Obviously not the same roll bar, but may offer you the additional protection you desire. I chronicled by roll bar installation experience several months ago on the forum, it was murder, but great finished product.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Raider89
I installed the GMG LMS Harness roll bar instead of World Challenge for concern of seat movement. I can tell you the Harness roll bar does allow full seat movement. Obviously not the same roll bar, but may offer you the additional protection you desire. I chronicled by roll bar installation experience several months ago on the forum, it was murder, but great finished product.
I was curious about the LMS bar. Good to get confirmation. I may have to pick one up swap the WC bar. Appreciate the input!

Old 11-27-2015, 03:10 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
I have the RSS 930 bar and its the same thing. The top inset of the bar is only good for thugging it as the lower brace mount stops the seat from sliding to its back limit.

Maybe the Brey Krause top strut mount bar would be best.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by elite1
I have the RSS 930 bar and its the same thing. The top inset of the bar is only good for thugging it as the lower brace mount stops the seat from sliding to its back limit.

Maybe the Brey Krause top strut mount bar would be best.
Haha thugging it, nice!

Yeah I am going to call up GMG tomorrow and pitch a fit. I'll likely just drive out to their facility and have them install the LMS bar, though I prefer the look of the WCGT, the lack of leg room is a bummer.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
just remember that the harness bar won't help you in the case of a rollover

Old 11-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
just remember that the harness bar won't help you in the case of a rollover
It's still a roll bar:

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/other...-roll-bar.html

Looks like the mounting point on factory seat would still cause the same seat travel limitation. I'll get clarification next week.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dhahlen
It's still a roll bar:

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/other...-roll-bar.html

Looks like the mounting point on factory seat would still cause the same seat travel limitation. I'll get clarification next week.
i agree . it mounts in the same position just doesn't have any structure across the front. its all in the back of the bar. for you it will have to be bent close to the edge of the rear seat bottom and mounted via a plate thru the floor. any seat belt mount hole will impede the seat as it moved rearward. even my ap bar has this issue

Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Your statement about seat belt mount is not correct. As noted above, the Harness bar allows COMPLETE movement of stock electric seat, fully rearward. It is bent is such a manner that it does not interfere. As for not helping in rollover, don't agree with that comment. the geometry of the x-brace compared to two front legs is substantial and IMO would offer substantial additional rollover protection if needed above and beyond car's hard top.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Your statement about seat belt mount is not correct. As noted above, the Harness bar allows COMPLETE movement of stock electric seat, fully rearward. It is bent is such a manner that it does not interfere. As for not helping in rollover, don't agree with that comment. the geometry of the x-brace compared to two front legs is substantial and IMO would offer substantial additional rollover protection if needed above and beyond car's hard top.
This is only the case with the LMS bar, correct? The seat belt mounts on the WCGT interfere with rearward seat movement. Would you be able to provide a pic of the seatbelt mount in relation to your seat with the LMS bar? I would really appreciate it.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Banned
regarding a rollover i was thinking he was going to a simple harness bar. i was incorrect there.
as for the seat belt mounts, heres every bar omg makes. it appears (and i could be wrong ) that they all share the same front geometry but differ in front bracing that can be added and /or the mounting point off the rear mounts either shock tower mount or seat belt mount hole.
the angle of each front downtime appears to be the same regardless of the bar. to much angle it will collapse to little angle to won't meet up with the hole
https://www.gmgracing.com/store/inde.../interior.html

i had a gmg world challenge bar in randys old 996 turbo and it would not allow full seat slide either. i have a a/p racing rear cage with removable front horizontal and diagonal braces and its the same thing. bottom edge of the seat will hit the bar before full rearward movement

Old 11-28-2015, 10:31 AM
I stand corrected upon further inspection. The stock seats lower plastic trim actually touches the lower front bar mount for the last 1/4" of seat travel only - slight rub, but does not inhibit movement. I would highly recommend getting GMG to install as very difficult and does require small amount of trimming contrary to website description. See attached photos.

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GMG WC-GT Roll Bar = Leg Room? False. Suggestions?