997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Time to sell my car? @115,000KM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:11 AM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Time to sell my car? @115,000KM

2007 997.1TT 115,000KM OR 71,500 Miles

Well Guys, I love my car. This past summer I spent ~30K on repairs. Is the car simply worn out? I love driving the car every second but I cannot keep on paying these outrageous prices to keep it running.

This summer alone I replaced the passenger side cam shaft, blew up the driver side turbo right out of the exhaust, busted a non pinable coolant line and converted to RWD because my front diff broke.

Needless to say the car was also in the shop the whole summer. Whats your opinion? Keep or sell..

Mods:
GT2 Intercoolers
No cat exhaust
H&R Spring
Cobb stage two flash
TPC suspension Computer
RWD

Old 11-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Man so sorry to hear about that! What is so frustrating is spending that type of money just to keep it running, but to also not drive it during the prime season and then winter sets in!! Been there done that more times that I would like to admit!

Two ways you can look at this.

The first is you love the car and you just spent ALOT of money fixing it to get it running well, so you keep it.

The other is move it before it costs you more.

Usually these cars are pretty reliable and have members here with over 100000MILES and are pretty modded!
Another thing is where are you getting your car serviced?

If you can find a reputable shop that would not charge the Porsche tax, that would help dramatically in the overall cost of ownership.

Dzenan at PTF knows some of these shops that supposedly know their Porches tech and are reasonable.

With that much $$ in your car, only you can really answer that question weather to keep or sell.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:05 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Hey Mike,

Where was that "Non Pinable coolant line" at? Did you end up pinning everything else at this time?

When you lost your turbo, was this at the track? Did you replace both?

If you pinned and replaced both turbos, I would think that the worst is behind you.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:28 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by elite1
Hey Mike,

Where was that "Non Pinable coolant line" at? Did you end up pinning everything else at this time?

When you lost your turbo, was this at the track? Did you replace both?

If you pinned and replaced both turbos, I would think that the worst is behind you.

The non pinable line was basically a 2 foot rubber line on the passenger front side of the engine.. All my coolant lines were already pinned when this happened. I lost the turbo while datalogging a new tune. I still have one "old turbo" and yes i should probably replace it.

Basically the major components left to break down are the transmission, engine and rear diff and the potential of spinning my driver side cam shaft..

Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Mine has done 118k km and has cost me a fair bit due to the coolant lines being pinned, but nowhere near $30k!! You've had a hard time that's for sure.

The reality is that these cars are starting to get a little older and worn, and the pressures of modifications will exacerbate any underlying weaknesses.

That said, plenty of others out there driving there's hard on a regular basis.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I think you fixed all the worse potential issues with this car, I would keep it and enjoy it because at that mileage you prolly get between $55 to $65k max.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:00 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Mike did you pin the camshaft or just replace it? I would have pinned both sides if the engine had to come down for the one side.

I love my car and it hasn't been cheap to buy and run but it brings me the kind of joy that keeps me coming back. Much more joy than the 30k I lost this year on an oil and gas stock, d'oh! Shhhhh...don't tell my wife.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:36 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Mike did you pin the camshaft or just replace it? I would have pinned both sides if the engine had to come down for the one side.

+1, I even swapped to upgraded pinned camshafts at this point 2 years ago.

I love my car and it hasn't been cheap to buy and run but it brings me the kind of joy that keeps me coming back. Much more joy than the 30k I lost this year on an oil and gas stock, d'oh! Shhhhh...don't tell my wife.
Lol Asher, same for me, shhhh with my wife!

More seriously Mike, I believe your have been unlucky but your car must be "de-bugged" for now.
I had this kind of issues with my 993TT when bought it in 2004, I spent about 30000€ to fix all the problems and profitted to upgrade it to make the "pill sweeter"...
I still own it and it makes 567hp/820Nm since 2006, runs from 50 to 300 like a 997GT2 and never had any problem for the last 10 years!
If you sell it now all the money spent is definitely lost.
I wish you the best!
P.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Obb
Oh man 30k? What damn shop did you have do those repairs? Was it a dealer? What you listed shouldn't come anywhere near 30k. I would say definitely keep the car and change the shop doing your work asap.
All work was done by the dealer, my ex-indie tried to rip me off on a half shaft replacement. That being said the know the dealer is expensive but honestly it is worth it, These guys are top notch and I get two years warranty on any work they do.

Originally Posted by The Bogg

I just replaced the one side, and didn't pin it. The tech says the new cam shafts are updated and it will not happen again. Driver side spun shafts are not common at all. Plus I had a rally that I was going to miss!

Originally Posted by K24F
Lol Asher, same for me, shhhh with my wife!

More seriously Mike, I believe your have been unlucky but your car must be "de-bugged" for now.
I had this kind of issues with my 993TT when bought it in 2004, I spent about 30000€ to fix all the problems and profitted to upgrade it to make the "pill sweeter"...
I still own it and it makes 567hp/820Nm since 2006, runs from 50 to 300 like a 997GT2 and never had any problem for the last 10 years!
If you sell it now all the money spent is definitely lost.
I wish you the best!
P.

Yea that's what im thinking! Hopefully she is done breaking down, for a little while at least.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:20 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Mike, which shop was your ex-indie? PM me if you don't want to post. Just curious. On my latest cel issue I ended up back at the dealer after giving the indy a chance first. It was a bit costly but it did get fixed. I went to Pfaff in Woodbridge.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Hi Bogg,

Pfaff is the best dealership I have ever worked with bar none.

I will PM you the ex-indie as im in the process of bringing them to court.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 AM
It looks like there are a few of us with similar opinions on that indy unfortunately.

Apart from the wallet-beating I've had decent experiences with Pfaff. I paid for 6 hours labour for diagnosis and replacement of a camshaft actuator and one of the other members here mentioned it was a 15 minute job. The true time is probably somewhere in the middle, lol.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Rengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really nice
Originally Posted by mikestyle
Hi Bogg,

Could you also PM me the ex-indie as well? Now I'm curious. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Hi Bogg,

Can you please PM me your ex-indie as well? I had a situation with one locally and was wondering.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 12-03-2015, 01:35 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
2007 997.1TT 115,000KM OR 71,500 Miles

Well Guys, I love my car. This past summer I spent ~30K on repairs. Is the car simply worn out? I love driving the car every second but I cannot keep on paying these outrageous prices to keep it running.

This summer alone I replaced the passenger side cam shaft, blew up the driver side turbo right out of the exhaust, busted a non pinable coolant line and converted to RWD because my front diff broke.

Needless to say the car was also in the shop the whole summer. Whats your opinion? Keep or sell..

Mods:
GT2 Intercoolers
No cat exhaust
H&R Spring
Cobb stage two flash
TPC suspension Computer
RWD

Kind of surprised to hear you dropped this kind of coin AND left the old turbo and old camshaft in there.

How much was the turbo? I definitely would have addressed the camshafts as a pair.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time to sell my car? @115,000KM