997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Front plate holder holes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 PM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
Front plate holder holes

So, the previous owner of my car installed a front plate holder into the bumper. Although obviously unnoticeable with the front plate in place, it bugs me that there are holes in the bumper behind the plate. The question is - do I fix/repair it to have a nice clean bumper, or just leave it? Down the road if I ever do sell the car, is it worse to have to disclose paint work, or to have an "all original, no paint/no bodywork" car with holes in the bumper behind the plate?

Old 12-13-2015, 07:27 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Bumperplugs.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...gory&path=1_11

I've used them on 3 of my P-cars.. Paint matches perfectly so you hardly notice unless you are looking for them..

On my turbo the dealer had 4 mounting holes, so I had to order 2 pairs..

Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 AM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
A Repainted bumper makes no difference for future value.
Metal should be original paint.

Drilling holes makes the bumper anyway 'non original' as they didn't come with holes from factory. So repaint or holes, you decide.

I would prefer a repainted bumper with no holes if your state does not require a front license plate.

Alternative, buy a used bumper, there cheap.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:16 PM
RON1X will become famous soon enoughRON1X will become famous soon enough
I'm in the same position... It drives me insane to have the holes, but fortunately on Atlas Gray they are pretty concealed somehow. I'm wanting to wrap my car, possibly, but feel I'd have to get the holes taken care of for the vinyl to stick properly, and I think wrapping over the bumperplugs would look weird. I probably will try the bumperplugs first and think about it more

Old 12-14-2015, 03:00 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
imho, on a car with more than ~20k miles, repainted plastic bits are not a concern, so long as you can't see a bad match or something. The bumper covers aren't even terribly expensive to replace if someone wanted unmolested.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:52 PM
AZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really nice
I have used the bumper plugs on a couple of different cars here in AZ, as we don't have front plates req'd. They would be a good start prior to going to a replacement plan.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:20 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Funny to ask the question.

Would you ever buy a car that had holes in the bumper?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:21 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
I had a friend who took European delivery of his GT3RS several years ago & when he picked it up at the factory in Stuttgart it had a European plate drilled to the front bumper ,so when he got it home it had 2 holes spaced really far apart for the Euro plate that wouldn't even coverup with a US plate,needless to say he was pretty pissed.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 PM
mfawaz is on a distinguished road
I just purchased my first 997.2 and did not realize I had the same issue until I saw this thread. Sure enough I pulled off the decractive plate and there is the pathetic solution. I ordered the plugs. The plugs arrived today and they were installed. Looks much better than leaving them exposed or having a decractive plate to cover them up. I can't believe holes are drilled in the bumper to install front plates. How does Porsche develop some of the best performing vehicles in the world and come with such a crappy solution to install front plates. I still can't understand it! Hopefully, they wake up and come up with a better solution.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:11 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
My GT3 came from New York and had the front bumper drilled. I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, bumper plugs are on the way as we speak. Absolutely drives me nuts to see that.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
We're here for you....one and all. Many thanks.

(long time 6speed original sponsor)

Old 12-20-2015, 11:01 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
Just ordered bumper plugs for my 09 TT.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:32 PM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll be ordering those plugs too. Nice option.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:41 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
BumperPlugs is the way to go. I once refused to take delivery on a new car because it had a dealer paper plate and frame on the front bumper even after I told the salesman several times that I didn't want the bumper drilled. They offered to take off the bumper and repair it but I refused. The dealer wasn't too happy but the sale didn't go down and I had to wait for another car. I think a front plate ruins the look of a Porsche, just my 2 cents...

Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 PM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
When I picked up my European delivery car in Leipzig in 2012, they put the front plate on with zip ties through the holes in the grill--which still remain! No holes drilled
Originally Posted by twturbo
I had a friend who took European delivery of his GT3RS several years ago & when he picked it up at the factory in Stuttgart it had a European plate drilled to the front bumper ,so when he got it home it had 2 holes spaced really far apart for the Euro plate that wouldn't even coverup with a US plate,needless to say he was pretty pissed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front plate holder holes