997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Build for autocross and track - the Warthog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
I'm also with the opinion that the stock vtg's is the best for you because it is the setup that provides the best low/mid power. Besides a tune and decat exhaust to improve even more this range, i advice you to look at my intake pipe setup that is a copy of esmotor kit. This improves throttle response because it provides high amounts of air flow to vtg's. DO88 pipes has larger diameter but faces the same problem as oem pipes with lack of space between engine and chassis. Porsche fix it on the 991TT with a similar setup running the intake pipes out of the engine bay.

Last edited by Tiago; 03-12-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:22 AM
marzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of light
We run castles on track and it's easy under noise limits, what's increasing the noise is running straight out short pipes with no centre x section

Old 03-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
We will try catless in a couple of weeks. Tiago I will check out your intake for sure, we do have the 997.2 ICs installed.

One of our great local photographer snapped these - pulling a bit of Gs

Last edited by Webspoke; 03-12-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by marzz
We run castles on track and it's easy under noise limits, what's increasing the noise is running straight out short pipes with no centre x section
Kline exhaust is awesome and produces a civilized sound with decat setup. But you can't compare the exhaust note of the metzger with dfi engine. DFI is alot more quiet with same exhaust setup.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tiago
I'm also with the opinion that the stock vtg's is the best for you because it is the setup that provides the best low/mid power. Besides a tune and decat exhaust to improve even more this range, i advice you to look at my intake pipe setup that is a copy of esmotor kit. This improves throttle response because it provides high amounts of air flow to vtg's. DO88 pipes has larger diameter but faces the same problem as oem pipes with lack of space between engine and chassis. Porsche fix it on the 991TT with a similar setup running the intake pipes out of the engine bay.
Have you got link to details on your intake system buddy?

Old 03-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Pics look great OP. I can see now how you're managing to use those wheels / tyres.

May be worth also widening the track out front with TPC or bbi front widening kit and having a go with regular 245 and 325 slicks running at GT2 RS type or lower ride height. The lower your COG the better surely as you're ferreting around quite technical courses with very fast directional changes and key is to stay flat. Remember even on 235 and 305 section rubber a 997 turbo has 4wd hence almost too much grip. I'd also upgrade the driveshafts at some stage as you're pulling loads of G there!

Those supersize tyres would come into their own at high speed tracks like Hockenheim GP circuit lol - with wide wheel arches it will look like a DTM refugee but not sure they're needed if many of the courses are similar to the one in the vid.

Just a few random thoughts!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by 9e 28
Have you got link to details on your intake system buddy?
80mm intake piping link

I upgraded months ago the aluminium pipes with a smother version. Right now it looks like this both sides:

Old 03-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tiago
80mm intake piping link

I upgraded months ago the aluminium pipes with a smother version. Right now it looks like this both sides:

Gotchya! My tuner tried to fab something like this for me with a cone system but unfortunately my 325 tyres were rubbing. Only option was to go back to stock wheels and I wanted to keep my BBS. I went with do88 turbo inlet pipes in the end. Pretty sure OP's gigantic rear tyres would also rub!

What sort of 60-130mph are you now running?

Old 03-23-2016, 01:37 AM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Test with 345 rear tires
We mounted up the 345's on 18x12.5 with more inboard offset. Fender clearance was now good, but the car lost some of it's handling nimbleness, and also seemed to be slow to get into boost from the tall tire gearing impact. When we got home we saw some rubbing evidence on the inner fenders:

Overall that event was not a good result as we were fighting with the car, and the changes made to compensate for the big rears. So we were convinced to return to the 335 rear setup.

Cobb Plano also worked on our tuning on VP c85 with our new decat configuration. The cooling effects of the fuel, and its high octane gas base, make it a strong choice for competition. The numbers may be common place in this forum (600/650), but it is by far the most power I have ever driven. The smoothness and response of this calibration are extremely impressive.

We spent the next event, a mock pro solo at Mineral wells, getting a handle on the new power. What a rush it is to drive now!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:51 AM
Banned
Thumbs up

Wow what an improvement in boost and throttle response. Night and day!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:40 AM
marzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of light
Looks like the car handles pretty well, what alignment/tire combination are you guys running now?

Old 03-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Looks like the car handles pretty well, what alignment/tire combination are you guys running now?
Here is the current spec - all the secret sauce info:

Tires - 295/30/18 and 335/30/18 Hoosier A7
Wheels - 18x10.5 ET41 18x12 ET47
Spring rates - 750/1000
Sway bars - Tarett blade front @ 50% and GT2 rear in mid setting
Camber - 3.4 front, 3.0 rear
Toe - 0.25" front toe out, 0.25" rear toe in
Ride height - 106/130 measured GT3 style at the subframes
Precision corner balance with driver by Cobb Plano - we spent hours on this!

The car handles quick transitions and sweepers as well as our Cayman used too, but puts down power much better. it does not drive like its heavy, awd, or rear engined, it just drives like a GREAT car!

Last edited by Webspoke; 03-23-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Webspoke
Here is the current spec - all the secret sauce info:

Tires - 295/30/18 and 335/30/18 Hoosier A7
Wheels - 18x10.5 ET41 18x12 ET47
Spring rates - 750/1000
Sway bars - Tarett blade front @ 50% and GT2 rear in mid setting
Camber - 3.4 front, 3.0 rear
Toe - 0.25" front toe out, 0.25" rear toe in
Ride height - 106/130 measured GT3 style at the subframes
Precision corner balance with driver by Cobb Plano - we spent hours on this!

The car handles quick transitions and sweepers as well as our Cayman used too, but puts down power much better. it does not drive like its heavy, awd, or rear engined, it just drives like a GREAT car!
you've done nice trick, went 1" smaller wheels in diameter, so you were able to fit the 295s, did you need to push in the radiator brackets at all?,
I guess you didn't load it with any castor and left it neutral?
Despite seating higher on suspension the car overall seats much lower due to wheel size so you kept the geometry the same, nice.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM
you've done nice trick, went 1" smaller wheels in diameter, so you were able to fit the 295s, did you need to push in the radiator brackets at all?,
I guess you didn't load it with any castor and left it neutral?
Despite seating higher on suspension the car overall seats much lower due to wheel size so you kept the geometry the same, nice.
Actually the front tire diameter is close to original, at 25.2". The rear diameter is a bit shorter, 25.6" vs around 26" for OEM. The Wheel diameter change was just for weight and tire availability.

No changes to caster or the radiator brackets, but clearance is very close, there are some scuffs on the wheel well liner in that area. We will test the increased caster position on the plates soon.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Webspoke
Actually the front tire diameter is close to original, at 25.2". The rear diameter is a bit shorter, 25.6" vs around 26" for OEM. The Wheel diameter change was just for weight and tire availability.

No changes to caster or the radiator brackets, but clearance is very close, there are some scuffs on the wheel well liner in that area. We will test the increased caster position on the plates soon.
The 0.8" and 0.4" difference is not small in a world of wheels fitment, depending on how low your car seats there is a particular spot on inner arch where you can safely push in the radiator brackets and gain even close to an inch of clearance allowing full lock and no rubbing of an outer edge for much wider tire,
The half an inch of additional clearance should allow for at least an inch wider tire
I'm not a suspension tuning expert but combination of additional caster/camber done properly made world of difference on turn ins and late braking on my car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build for autocross and track - the Warthog