997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Build for autocross and track - the Warthog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
We have an autocross coming this weekend, will get some outside video there. The car sounded a bit deeper on the dyno, but that was with the bumper off which may affect the tone a bit.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:21 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Webspoke
We have an autocross coming this weekend, will get some outside video there. The car sounded a bit deeper on the dyno, but that was with the bumper off which may affect the tone a bit.
Interested to see how she sounds now

Old 02-22-2017, 12:04 PM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
great thread.. looking forward to seeing how you do this year.

best of luck!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Good luck Stan and team!

Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Grantsfo will become famous soon enough
You should have bought a GT3. . ...just kidding love the turbo build! You just have some tough competition. In early season FP Cayman is doing ok. Was only a second off Andys RX7 and beat his co driver at an event!

Old 02-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Grantsfo
You should have bought a GT3. . ...just kidding love the turbo build! You just have some tough competition. In early season FP Cayman is doing ok. Was only a second off Andys RX7 and beat his co driver at an event!
Good job progressing with the race Cayman. Very tough standards of competition in your region. As for GT3's, we looked hard at securing a GT4, but GT3s were too far out of the budget. 997 Turbo's are a bargain in comparison, and allowed a lot of re-use of our cayman parts. It is the most challenging car to drive fast I have ever competed with. Under acceleration it gets a bit wild. This 2nd season hopefully will be the crest of the learning curve

Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Some exhaust note in the video from this weekend. The car felt great, noticeably quicker onto boost.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Haha "oh...WWWOW"
Nice work Stan!

Old 02-27-2017, 05:36 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Sounds really good! Looks fast also

Old 02-27-2017, 10:51 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Love the reaction at the end!

Stan,,,,,duh, duh, duh, With the new fastest time of the day.

Didn't he hear your exhaust note?

Nice job!

Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Ha, the time got beat about 5 cars later. Was driving a bit conservatively, and did an unneeded 2-3 upshift in the 2nd half od the course, and you can hear the slow 2-3 coming to the finish line.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 AM
PPower is on a distinguished road
Nice job! And the car sounds great too!

Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Our first Pro Solo of the season is now done. 1300 mile tow down to Fort Myers FL, after just a couple of test events fine tuning. It was a great opportunity to run the '17 season updates in anger. The team at Cobb Plano got all of our prep done well ahead of schedule:
- do88 inlets
- SRM intercoolers
- wrapped headers
- 5" fans on intercoolers (to help with low speed cooling)

- Stronger brv valve springs
- revised mapping for improved low speed spool, and non-sport mode performance
- 18x13 rear wheels (used to be 18x12)
- Re-align and corner balance - perfect 50% cross weights!

Getting loaded up to go...

The 1300mi 1.5 day tow down to Florida was mostly scenic. No time to sight see though, we had a schedule to keep. So only drive by photos allowed

We had to make a few extra practice starts on Friday, as there was some confusion on sound limits at the this site, normally it is 100db, but were told 97db. The meter was at the 60ft line after the launch, and we were blowing around 102, probably from the 'pop' on the 1-2 shift. We installed our exhaust turn-aways to get below line - 1st issue solved

Ended Friday with a nice sunset course walk, enjoying the warm weather and starting to relax

Saturday morning runs were fun, the course was a fast out, lots of slaloms, but some good space between elements to use the power. Handling had a bit of understeer, so we made a front sway bar and shock adjustment to dial it in.

Had another Porsche in out class, a fast 991 turbo S, with some good champion upgrades. It was driven hard, and has great potential.

The motor response and consistency was great, no more effects of heat soak on runs 3-4 (we take 4 at a time) like we saw before, here in the high 80's, and boost buildup from low speed was noticeably better. Boost drop off between shifts was also reduced. I was leading the class after 1st runs, but some event delays pushed the afternoon runs to Sunday morning. No problem, we thought....

One thing we found in winter testing, and have now proven to ourselves on the track - 'SPORT' mode 'OFF' has better, more consistent AWD performance. We ran all last season in 'SPORT' and 'PSM off'. The car was very RWD, and had challenges putting down power. Seems like it was always oversteering.

The Cobb team re-worked our 'SPORT' mode 'OFF' mapping to provide the same throttle response, and power level as 'SPORT'. We tested this back to back, and our times are faster, and the car is more stable under power, and can put down power off the corners and in transitions much better. I can go to full throttle much earlier, and use full throttle in more places

Sunday morning, I was the first car out on the left side, this happened....

Driver side inner CV came apart - left some nice bits and ***** in the belly pan. We have been tracking the axle life, this was after 53k miles, at least 1yr of track days before we bought the car, and 220+ launches, most with Boost Off the Line enabled.

I was able to swap in our spare axle in just over an hour, but that meant my wife lost her morning runs, and my competition jumped ahead, moving me to 2nd, crap

When I ran later on Sunday, I used more clutch slip off the line. The 60ft times were just as good, 1.6's, so I guess Ineed to modify my launch technique. and drove hard to squeek ahead for the win. It was undecided until the very last run, as my competition, a well driven BMW kept matching my improvements run for run. This qualified me for the challenge round, where I was promnptly knocked out in the first round - I will claim fatigue from the drama earlier in the day

We had to start the drive home at 5pm Sunday. Just needed to get 300mi down to make Monday easier. Stopped for our traditional winner chicken dinner and found this on the menu - score

Next stop is College Station TX at the end of March. Need to get more seat time and raise the driving intensity aggression level now that the chassis is more stable. Oh, and get another spare axle

Last edited by Webspoke; 03-22-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:11 PM
marzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of light
well done, congrats, looks like the car suspension setup is really well sorted, very little movement on corners, very neutral in under/over steering,
what tire sizes and camber are you running now please?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:58 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I am guessing that was the left rear axle. If so, do you think the 13's may have contributed to the failure? Have your fronts been holding up okay? Once my alignment spec's got a bit too aggressive, my fronts would only last 150 miles (max). Most would fail in less than 100 miles for install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build for autocross and track - the Warthog