997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

ProEFI Problems to be AWARE of

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr6tee
112 = dash lights
True

Originally Posted by Swole Powell
My Proefi is going on this week, I wanted syvecs but thought I would give the proefi a shot since D3 in local. I sure hope I dont have any lights, my car is flawless and I dont want it to look like it needs to go to the dealer when people look at my dash. Little nerves after reading this thread.
Let me tell you what's wrong with the 112 (in relation to dash stuff):

-Coolant gauge flashing light (coolant temp sensor doesn't read with the 112)
-Coolant gauge dead zone doesn't function (the oem coolant sensor has a dead zone that keeps the gauge centered, as a result the needle sits off center on the actual temperature, which makes you think it's running hot, when it's not.)
-PSM Light as PSM does not work, because, well, they haven't figured out the Canbus ID's for the PSM modules in the 997
-Coolant warning on display every 5 minutes. If you acknowledge the error, it comes back again 5 minutes later. I've learned to leave it alone.
-PSM failure on display
-Fuel gauge does not work lower than 1/3 of tank. The factory ECU calculates the remaining amount of fuel based on mileage, but the floater actually bottoms out before it actually hits the bottom of the tank as it's not possible due to tank design. The ProEFI does not calculate remaining fuel, which means when you're down to the last 1/3, you have to track the mileage yourself or fill up.

Prodigymb might have the fuel stuff solved, but I could be wrong. A couple of these may have been resolved as well, but as of now, on my car, they are still present.

Aside from all it's flaws, it's a very powerful ecu. It simply lacks finesse.

Last edited by dhahlen; 03-09-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Lovely, I went with the 112. I installed the 128 on my brothers car and had nothing but problems, but that was back in 2011. We pulled the 128 because of problems, I should have learned and stayed away. We installed the Syvecs on my brothers car in no time and had no issues, but I didnt want to have to fly Wayne in to tune it. The reason for the Proefi was since D3 is local, and I figured they could deal with the bugs. I wish this thread was a week ago, so I could have save time and money. I will rip it out if I have these problems and go Syvecs, not sure why anyone would want something not to work right.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:39 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Lovely, I went with the 112. I installed the 128 on my brothers car and had nothing but problems, but that was back in 2011. We pulled the 128 because of problems, I should have learned and stayed away. We installed the Syvecs on my brothers car in no time and had no issues, but I didnt want to have to fly Wayne in to tune it. The reason for the Proefi was since D3 is local, and I figured they could deal with the bugs. I wish this thread was a week ago, so I could have save time and money. I will rip it out if I have these problems and go Syvecs, not sure why anyone would want something not to work right.
Here is what my take is, FWIW:

The dash stuff will get ironed out if enough people (you, me, others) complain about the issue to the point where it gets some attention. I don't think they have any intention of not fixing it, it's just not high on their list.

The ECU itself is wonderful, sure it has it's flaws with flashing and some other stuff, but it has a ton of failsafes and features that make it worthwhile.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:12 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
No reason to fly a tuner in. I wired in a wireless access point to my syvecs. I can tune the car from a city block away. I had Ryan tune the car via 3G stick from the UK. Was equally as effective as if he was there in person.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
I had a few attemps on ProEfi a few years ago. (128 version) 997tt kit and BMW E46 kit.

Software was a complete mess, freezing out, slow responding etc...

The worst was the support from the company, they just dont care.

I have met Ryan from Syvecs about 2 years ago, they really know what they are doing,
and their support can't be beaten.

They are always helpful, and they back up their product.

They are also very enthusiastic about developing new things, a few example,
we needed standalone tiptronic transmisison controller, they were kind enough to accept our request and collaborate developing it.

Its very nice to work with people who carry the same level of enthusiasm with us.

Ryan, Wayne, Boyan, all the crew is top notch.

Tuning SW interface is very simple and has quick response, which is very important while tuning, and new firmware is fully customizable, they can even change the coding and add new features per your needs.

I have installed more than 12 Syvecs kits worldwide and im supporting my overseas customers over internet even while they are racing

btw, only 2 of them are race cars, all others are daily driven cars running without a single error on the dashboard, using all the functions of the car.

IMO, Syvecs and ProEfi cant be compared.

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 03-10-2016, 07:37 AM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
We haven't had experience with a proefi yet but we have had a ton of experience with the AEM Infinity over the past year or more and their plug and play setup for the 997.1 6MT Turbos (no Tiptronic support). It is truly plug and play and you are starting the car with all OEM sensors in place as soon as its plugged in. There's no extra wiring needed at all or sensors. Harness and connectors are top notch quality and ready to plug in out of the box. There were some issues with the end user tuning software when we just started with it but that's been fixed since then and the numbers we've been posting have been done with the AEM Infinity on the car first and foremost as we have additional sensors wired in for datalogging and failsafes as we're pushing on the stock motor and need to do so carefully and with full visibility to data which the factory ECU on its own doesn't provide unfortunately (e.g. fuel pressure, exhaust back pressure, lean run fail safety, to name a few). Solid experience with AEM's tech support staff as well and happy to recommend the product and custom tune with it anyone local or remote.

We haven't yet had a chance to play around with Syvecs. Its in beta for the BMW N54 and we'll be among the first tuners there to run with Syvecs on the BMW DFI platform as soon as we have connectors ready for the DME

Dzenno@PTF

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 03-10-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:01 AM
BR996tt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by prodigymb
one thing people should know is that a ProEFI should be purchased thru an authorized dealer who is experienced in your platform, be it supra, vette, porsche, M3...... it really should be installed by one too. the expectations from Jason/ProEFI are that your authorized dealer is who is responsible for supporting you as a customer.

I think people would agree that as a customer it's only reasonable to expect that ProEFI supply a quality product and that they take responsibility for fixing or replacing quality issues.

Last edited by BR996tt; 03-13-2016 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2016, 04:18 AM
BR996tt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dhahlen
My wiring harness was also done custom by SRM, the stuff ProEFI ships out usually done improperly anyway. I'm sure D3 is working on correcting these issues, but it's never a "plug and play" setup as advertised.

I agree with this more than you know.

-Harness quality is crap
-Subcontracting and lack of QC is just an excuse, it's ****-poor business
-D3 is helpful, Jason directs everyone to them - even locals.
-The product is not plug n play
-Canbus ID's are still missing for multiple things

Jason did offer to take my car and fix all the canbus ID / values. he said he needed a stock ecu car and a mine and a few weeks to work it all out. Quite frankly, I don't see why I'd have to give up my vehicle to fix a problem that should have never been a problem to begin with.

As frustrating as it all is, the ProEFI is a very solid ECU and I'm happy with the features and performance is provides. SRM has been instrumental, along with assistance from Undercover / Garth and D3 Performance to make sure it was done right on my car, at least to the best ability given the limitation of knowledge surrounding all the canbus codes. Sad it didn't work out better for you. Good luck with the Motec!

Clearly there is some good innovative stuff about the ProEFI, it's just a shame that it has so many issues.

And thanks, I'll post my experience on the MoTEc when it's done.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 PM
abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !
I agree that proefi tech support isn't the greatest , but From what I Know Jason is not longer handling tech support and has authorized D3 performance to do so . Garth is my guy who wired up my car and tuned it. I trust him and recommend him to anyone .

For anybody who's reading this and worried.. Just understand there is a lot of biased opinions online and everyone has a bone to pick at .. Some of the vendors are sponsored and need to bash another to rise .. It's apart of the game .. It's up to you to see feedback from actual users and come to a conclusion... I'm running the 128 proefi box in my Porsche 996, I got no dash light what so ever , running 1700cc injectors and my car idols and runs better than stock.. It's honestly flawless and it dose more than I want ..

Old 03-13-2016, 07:41 PM
abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !abe_911 Is a GOD !
Ohh , forgot to mention that Garth is also a Syveccs dealer and was tuning a 996tt when I was down in NJ .. I got to see the syveccs in action and it is a impressive ECU ..

If you guys want a non biased answer .. I suggest you guys contacting Garth as he supports both ECus and he's feedback to me was nothing but positive towards both ECUs . He will brake down the differences and tell you what's what .

Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by abe_911
Ohh , forgot to mention that Garth is also a Syveccs dealer and was tuning a 996tt when I was down in NJ .. I got to see the syveccs in action and it is a impressive ECU ..

If you guys want a non biased answer .. I suggest you guys contacting Garth as he supports both ECus and he's feedback to me was nothing but positive towards both ECUs . He will brake down the differences and tell you what's what .

Very well worded response and as un biased as your going to get.

Are you on the streets yet with your ride in the GTA?

I was out last night for a cruise with a couple of friends in the evening/night taking advantage of the early spring 18degree weather!

We should try to link up this season with some of the GTA guys and go for cruise.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 03-14-2016, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Very well worded response and as un biased as your going to get. Are you on the streets yet with your ride in the GTA? I was out last night for a cruise with a couple of friends in the evening/night taking advantage of the early spring 18degree weather! We should try to link up this season with some of the GTA guys and go for cruise. Thanks Bobby Ali ba
Car is in the GTA brother , running and ready to cruise by next week. Just need to install my new brake kit and my CEA shifter cables .. Unable to go into reverse with the CEA shifter because of my stock cables are too short ..

But I should be ready next week..
We will definitely meet up soon.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BR996tt
I think people would agree that as a customer it's only reasonable to expect that ProEFI supply a quality product and that they take responsibility for fixing or replacing quality issues.
I've had 2 ProEFIs and I 100% believe they are a quality product. Both buggy in the beginning, but I was an early adopter for both 996 and 997 platforms. 996 eventually got to a point where there were no lights on the dash and I am hoping the 997 will get there very soon. I do agree with you that ProEFI themselves should be more proactive in fixing these bugs.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.angry
How much is the pro efi with install is it wise to run with a vtg setup does it make sense prior to some bigger turbos
Depends on goals. If you're sticking to 1000hp or less, I'd stay with a factory ECU setup, like the Cobb.

When you're getting into the weeds, like 1000+, 1100whp, 1200whp, etc. I'd look into a standalone.

I'll speak my honest opinion about the product:

Very capable ECU, very incapable support and tuning. I can count on two fingers that number of people that can tune them, but that has to be taken lightly. The ProEFI has some bugs that are poorly documented, poorly supported and just a pain in the ***.

Syvecs has it's ups and downs as well, the two tuners who know it, know it very, very, well and can support the 996/997tt platform better than anyone with proefi knowledge.

I've been dealing with it for the last year and a half and it has gotten better on the ProEFI front with the latest firmware. I don't have any first hand experience with Syvecs, so take my above comments for speculation and second hand knowledge from speaking with those who have run them.

Best starting point is to find out what you're after and go from there.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
My car is currently running the ProEfi 112, So far the car is running pretty good. D3 did the install and worked on the latest firmware with my car. There are a few problem that need to be addressed, I am hoping to get it back to d3 to fix these issues this coming month. First of all start up on E85, this takes 15 to 20 seconds to get the car to fire off. Once running the car gives me a PSM light and a PTM warning on the odometer, The PTM warning can be cleared but will reappear after about 5 to 10 miles. If the start up gets fix and the PSM/PTM issue is fix then, I will be 100% happy with the ECU. We are running a Syvecs on my brothers 996, there is nothing to complain about on it besides the lack of tuners. I do like the rolling Anti lag on my car and the 2 Step is very nice.
Matt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ProEFI Problems to be AWARE of