997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

M3 Maestro's 997.1 Turbo build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 05:13 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Absolutely, I have the plugs and new coils sitting here ready to go.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:43 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
Absolutely, I have the plugs and new coils sitting here ready to go.
Good man!

Old 05-31-2016, 06:47 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Moving at a great pace bud!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Pulled the factory coolant pipes off this weekend. They come off easy using some map gas to heat up the adhesive. One pipe from the water pump housing came off without any heat applied while I was trying to get the hose off. Glad I found it now, it would have failed soon and pumped out the engine.

I cleaned up the factory pipes and tig'ed them back on (7 total), I didn't see a need for the aftermarket billet coolant pipe kits since I didn't damage my factory ones.

Here are a few pictures of what they look like when they come out, cleaned up and mid way through my tig welding. Notice it was even leaking where the coolant temperature sensor screws in. Porsche really struggles with the cooling system durability unfortunately. However even with these issues its still a phenomenal platform and all these failure modes can be corrected as a lot of us do on here.

Enjoy!

Attached Images     
Old 06-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
Pulled the factory coolant pipes off this weekend. They come off easy using some map gas to heat up the adhesive. One pipe from the water pump housing came off without any heat applied while I was trying to get the hose off. Glad I found it now, it would have failed soon and pumped out the engine. I cleaned up the factory pipes and tig'ed them back on (7 total), I didn't see a need for the aftermarket billet coolant pipe kits since I didn't damage my factory ones. Here are a few pictures of what they look like when they come out, cleaned up and mid way through my tig welding. Notice it was even leaking where the coolant temperature sensor screws in. Porsche really struggles with the cooling system durability unfortunately. However even with these issues its still a phenomenal platform and all these failure modes can be corrected as a lot of us do on here. Enjoy!
Thought there were 8 fittings?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:42 AM
I will go through everything again to check, I think the 996 has an extra one.

I did the 3 on the casting where the temp sensor screws in.

I did the 3 on the water pump casting.

And I only have 1 on the power steering bracket casting. I think the 996 has an extra one there.

Attached Images    
Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Maybe the 8th pipe might be pictured here? This is a picture of the casting where the temp sensor screws in on the 996 turbo, my engine doesn't have that J shaped pipe.

Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:35 AM
Some updates:

Finished installing the Sharkwerks stainless coolant elbows and begun engine re-assembly. Below are some pics showing the plastic elbows were leaking. The plastic was completely deteriorated, 2 of them come out in multiple pieces. In total 10 coolant pipes were fixed, 7 glued ones (now tig welded and pressure tested), 3 plastic ones (now stainless). You guys just pinning the coolant pipes be careful, you may want to look further and do the 3 elbows while its out.

As a practicing engineer in engine engineering, seeing this is extremely sad. Now as a Porsche owner this is extremely frustrating. This is what happens when bean counters win the argument over engineering during design phases of engine development. No need to get into long discussion about it, its fixed now. If I ever sell it, someone will have peace of mind they won't have the typical coolant failure modes these engines struggle with.

Attached Images        

Last edited by M3 Maestro; 06-20-2016 at 08:57 AM. Reason: ...
Old 06-20-2016, 11:40 AM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Coming out really well

going to be better than new.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by 997TTEQNY
Coming out really well

going to be better than new.
Thanks! I know these are great platforms to build, just working through design issues. My goal is to rid it of this type of common failure mode. Just have to keep at it and get her put back together.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You were not kidding about your skills my friend. Loving the updates and chatting with you at all hours .

Keep it up, almost there!

Old 06-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
You were not kidding about your skills my friend. Loving the updates and chatting with you at all hours .

Keep it up, almost there!
Yes having a lot of experience (in OEM and motorsport) definitely helps but I have also been lucky to have people I can ask for help as this is a new platform for me. Mark has provided advice when I needed, John at EvoSpec, and of course you as well Sam.

Besides what would you do with your time if you weren't listening to me complain about the ridiculous Porsche tax and bad design choices

Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Former Vendor
LOL
Forget me, you have a some of the best there helping you.
Cheers

Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 AM
Almost done, goodies from Sam coming in today, thank you bud for the great price and service Also have some small parts coming in from Sonnen Porsche, Greg in their parts department has done a great job getting my parts on time. If I find time to work on it at night I might actually have the engine done this week

Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Hope everyone had a fun and safe 4th of July weekend.

Engine is just about ready to go back in this upcoming weekend. Been quite a bit work but hopefully soon I can enjoy it again. Transmission went back on with a Sachs 2.5 clutch from Sam. Kline 70mm exhaust also sourced from Sam. The turbo inlets are from Mark (prodigymb).

Hopefully my IPD plenum for the GT3 throttle body comes in the next couple of days and the engine is done.

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 Maestro's 997.1 Turbo build