997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exhaust sound, performance /catless options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 01:51 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Al, we do a lot of sound testing/R&D during our design phase and we spend the time to get it right. Not many aftermarket exhaust manufacturers spend the time or put in the effort that we do to insure quality of sound from our 2.5 quiet to our 3" competition loud systems and when you don't, you can easily end up with inferior or just plain bad sound characteristics. That GT3 type sound is our goal and over the years we have learned ways to bring it out. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your exhaust!
Your exhaust is one of the best sounding ones I have heard to date. You have a PM.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by elite1
Looks good, were your cats interchangeable with this setup?
Yes, the lighter, slip on design requires removal of the rear mufflers. But I think pretty much any exhaust will, as you have to slide off the studs on the turbo hot side.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Originally Posted by elite1
Al, was the only modification to your system the 200cell? I may want to try that. Other than this, I think we have the same setup.
Yep that's it. The dual tips are next. It will be a little louder John tells me.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Webspoke
I have a Kline 3" GT2 exhaust with the X and small titanium mufflers. When run with the 100cel cats, it is very mild and quiet. I have switched now to the decat pipes, and it is still nicely muffled, with just the good growls, burbles, and pops coming through. There is some volume at full load, but it is a deep roar, very pleasant. I am very surprised at the moderate sound level. Coming from a Cayman S with longtube headers and race mufflers, this is tame in comparison.

Here is what it sounds like at full beans during the beginning of the run. Nice burble and pop.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:07 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Morning guys,

Current exahsut set-up;
Evoms Race headers
Fabspeed Cat deletes
Sharkwerks 2.5" X
Speedtech Ceramic Coated dual tips

I purchased from John at Speedtech a true full 3" catless exhaust with 3.5" dual tips which will be installed next week, which means that my current exhaust with the exception of the headers will be up for sale if anyone is interested. Can't wait to get this new exhaust installed, John has great customer service and is Porsche enthusiast like the rest of us.

Regards,

Manuel

Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Webspoke
Here is what it sounds like at full beans during the beginning of the run. Nice burble and pop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYr7Vk0yGU

First and foremost, Nice driving dude!

Car sounds good. I know its a video which means it may be slightly quieter but, it sounds good. Your video started to sound like a V8 half way though? Once I saw the vet, I understood the sound change.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Anyone have the Speedtech dual polished tips? I would like to see diff angles other than what's shown on website. Like close up pictures. Thanks

Old 04-30-2016, 10:38 PM
guab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Al, we do a lot of sound testing/R&D during our design phase and we spend the time to get it right. Not many aftermarket exhaust manufacturers spend the time or put in the effort that we do to insure quality of sound from our 2.5 quiet to our 3" competition loud systems and when you don't, you can easily end up with inferior or just plain bad sound characteristics. That GT3 type sound is our goal and over the years we have learned ways to bring it out. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your exhaust!
+1

My speedtech exhaust was incredible!

Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM
gogoevo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by guab
+1

My speedtech exhaust was incredible!
+2 I'm using the 3" with stock cats. Sounds great - no regrets.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gogoevo
+2 I'm using the 3" with stock cats. Sounds great - no regrets.
Can I get some video of that!?!?!?!?!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Marpir821
Can I get some video of that!?!?!?!?!
Engine is warm and in sport+. Sorry for the wind noise.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !
I bet that sounds good under load. I have been talking to them about the catless 3.0 but wondering if it would be too loud. Did you consider race cats?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:56 PM
I bet that sounds good under load. I have been talking to them about the catless 3.0 but wondering if it would be too loud. Did you consider race cats?
It does indeed. I get nothing but complements. I'm considering 200-cell cats, but not catless. I'm too old for that nonsense

Old 05-03-2016, 08:50 PM
guab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of light
Promise it's nowhere near too loud. The DFI TT motor is insanely quiet. The turbos act as mufflers. It was quiet still without cats. And no drone. It is even quieter if you leave it in regular instead of sport+. Only gets loud if you got WOT above 4500. My M4 with stock exhaust and just down pipes is way louder.

Last edited by guab; 05-03-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Here is a 997.2TT 3.0 catless we just completed for a customer. Only 16.5 lbs. as pictured.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound, performance /catless options