997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Why buy a 997TT if you aren't looking for one / Build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 05:22 AM
Mdeniz has a spectacular aura aboutMdeniz has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by HIX
What did you do to yellow the fogs? Yellow bulbs or Film?
Bulbs from local autoparts, car looks great with them now!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Let us know. Also call me if I can help you bleed it out as that may also be adding to the issue.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:29 AM
New cap went on, i topped it off, drove it around and parked it the issue seems to have gone away, I guess I got lucky this time, not sure how many more issues I'll be able to resolve with $31 LOL!

in other mods, LED tag lights. What a difference! Next up will be LED tail lights, and removing some built in radar/laser jammer previous owner installed...not looking forward to that.

Stay tuned for second week in June when I'll be replacing the rear fender rock guards, doing xpel film in the bumper, side mirrors and A pillars as well as a full paint correction with the gtechniq ceramic coat on top.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Great post man, funny enough I'm reading that same book and looking forward to finishing it up and discussing it a bit...congrats on the turbo, it really is a fantastic car.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Great!

Old 05-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Both babies in the den

Old 05-19-2016, 02:33 PM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
great write up

looking forward to following this one.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:07 PM
I've now seen enough coolant pipe stories (i hate the internet some times) to make me increasingly paranoid, so far I have 1 quote to get it done and this is the break down on the quote I was sent:

*Parts - @2000.00
Welding - @400.00
Pipe kit - 490.00
Labor - 2328.00
Total with part, labor, taxes - @5585.00

*The parts include all the orings and gaskets needed to put back together, replace rubber hoses and water hoses, water pump, thermostat and coolant.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:49 PM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
That seems about right.. you may as well do Clutch, injectors, inlet pipes while you are in there. That is what I did when my coolant pipes were welded.

Ask Sam, that is where I ordered most of my parts!

Old 05-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Pendl303 has a spectacular aura aboutPendl303 has a spectacular aura about
Congrats, always loved your viper

Old 05-20-2016, 08:50 PM
XSTAR is on a distinguished road
Shot you a PM. Looking at a 997TT and curious your take as I've driven Vipers for years but have a bit of an itch to explore and clean turbo that popped up. Seems you have both in the same stable.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by XSTAR
Shot you a PM. Looking at a 997TT and curious your take as I've driven Vipers for years but have a bit of an itch to explore and clean turbo that popped up. Seems you have both in the same stable.
I do, and I figured it'd be best to answer it here, as there is others that have asked similar questions.

Here is my very personal take;

When you see a viper in a parking lot (gen2-4), you can pretty much assume the owner is a car guy, the kind of guy/gal that knows how to tinker with his/her car, and likes the smell of fuel and burnt rubber. Vipers offer zero compromise, it is to me, the purest sports car that can be had for under $100k. There is no active suspension or traction control nannies or stability control buttons, when you step inside there isn't 10 buttons for silly items, "shinny objects" if you will, to try and make the environment more familiar to those who are more used to suburbia type vehicles. Its fitting that the Viper is named after a snake, as it is the modern day Cobra, if you can tame it, and make it do what you want, it will give you more smiles per mile than most cars out there, but if you aren't a season snake charmer, the chance of catastrophic failure is more than probable.

The viper is loud, hot, uncomfortable to some, the pedals are not where they should be, and wind noise is just something you need to get used to. However they are dead reliable, except a window motor failing, there isn't any coolant hoses to weld because because Klaus thought it'd be good to hold them together with silly-putty, there isn't overheating issues, because someone at GM stuck a blower on it with out accounting for additional heat, it doesn't have some fancy Borg transmission that will cost you $20k to upgrade. It is a N/A low rev high displacement, 3 pedal car with a T56 that sounds like an angry UPS truck. It doesn't try to be anything else, its not trying to create a compromise between road manners and performance. Its the pure sports car that makes me happy for the same reasons that it annoys 90% of the population.

The Porsche is different, it is ALL about compromise, the suspension isn't too hard, but you can make it so pressing a button, if you are distracted and push the car too hard the computer will take over and make sure your frapuccino isn't spilled (viper doesn't have cup holders for such things) the porsche's AWD gives you confidence in the rain, and the sitting position, exhaust tone (or lack there of) coupled with having the engine in the rear, make for a very comfortable cabin and sitting position with plenty of visibility where you can have a conversation in your cell phone without having to yell.

The Porsche does most things better than the Viper, but Porsche ownership will carry a tax, from absurd pricing at the dealer (I was quoted $490 for 1 oil change) to fixing the mistakes ze german engineers made with things such as the coolant pipe epoxy, not to mention the cost of aftermarket parts. My 997TT is the first car i've ever owned that I can do some nice wheels for less than I can do an exhaust, and where spending over $1000 for an air intake is not only acceptable but common practice.

In the end, the Porsche is a better second car (let alone first car if you only have one), if the things I mentioned above to don't bug you, but if your viper experience has been like mine you will soon be asking the car gods for forgiveness every time you cursed the viper for being too old school, and not having enough technology.

They are vastly different cars, and that's a good thing, because IMO the viper embodies everything I love form american muscle, and the 997TT embodies the finest aspects of the way europeans go about building sports cars.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 AM
XSTAR is on a distinguished road
Very cool, I think we would get along as these are similar thoughts I had...just don't have the actual 997TT seat time. Not knowing many of the service costs is a bit scary as I was not opposed to wrenching on the Viper and is/was strong and bulletproof. I plan to drive the car tomorrow and get a better feel.

I was able to track down the previous owner (2 owners ago) knew the car had some mods that the dealer was not aware of. Car PSS10 coilovers, RSS Sway Bars, upgraded clutch, and Protomotive Tune. Car guys are great...as he was the one who did the mods and sounds like the last owner just drove it for ~3k miles and traded it in w/out leaving much detail.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by XSTAR
Very cool, I think we would get along as these are similar thoughts I had...just don't have the actual 997TT seat time. Not knowing many of the service costs is a bit scary as I was not opposed to wrenching on the Viper and is/was strong and bulletproof. I plan to drive the car tomorrow and get a better feel.

I was able to track down the previous owner (2 owners ago) knew the car had some mods that the dealer was not aware of. Car PSS10 coilovers, RSS Sway Bars, upgraded clutch, and Protomotive Tune. Car guys are great...as he was the one who did the mods and sounds like the last owner just drove it for ~3k miles and traded it in w/out leaving much detail.
Don't plan on wrenching on the P car unless you have a shop at your disposal, engine has to come off for A LOT of things.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Matt Danger is a name known to allMatt Danger is a name known to allMatt Danger is a name known to allMatt Danger is a name known to allMatt Danger is a name known to allMatt Danger is a name known to all
I wrench on my 997tt all the time in my ****ty 2 car garage. You don't need a master piece workshop. I dropped my motor using a $275 lift table and jack stands. Wasn't difficult at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.