997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Induction noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:13 PM
gogoevo is on a distinguished road
Induction noise

Hello all,

After doing a track day today I noticed louder than normal induction noise inside the cabin under load. It sounds cool, and was always there before, but now it seems much louder. I checked as much as I could before heading home but couldn't see anything obvious. I'm not noticing any drop in performance, either.

The car is a 997.2 TTS

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by gogoevo; 05-15-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:55 AM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a possible boost leak. I would do a leak test.

I am willing to bet if it is a wooshing sound while on throttle, it will be one of the hoses coming off of your intercoolers to your Y-pipe. Doing a leak test will tell you easily!

If it sounds like it is coming from your tail light during the test, then you will have to most likely remove the back bumper / tail lights / rear wheel / wheel well cover to get to it.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2016, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the advice! Can you recommend a good leak test kit? I found a couple online but would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:58 AM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
You can easily make your own if you have a bit of time. I personally like to test from the hoses that come from the turbos to the intercoolers. If the clamps are in the right position, you don't even need to remove your wheels or fender liners.

Simply jack up the rear of the car, put it on stands. Disconnect the hoses from the outlets of the turbos. Plug one end with a cap, and apply pressure to the other end.

My setup is as follows:

You need a air compressor that has a good regulator on it, if you don't then I would go to Harbor Freight and pick up a Leak Down Tester.

(1) 1/4" NPT Hose fitting
(2) 1 1/2" PVC Pipe Caps from Home Depot

And maybe some type of sealant glue for Plastic / Metal
Tap one of the PVC Caps and screw in the NPT Hose Fitting. Put some sealant glue around the edges to make sure it is air tight.

Use one of the caps to plug one of the turbo outlets, and use the other to apply pressure. I would start out with around 5-10psi to see if you can hear leaks. It should be very easy to tell where it is coming from. Normally I test up to around 20psi if I don't hear anything at first, make sure the caps are secure as if they blow out it makes a pretty good pop.

All of these parts are very inexpensive.

A good thread.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7-1-turbo.html

Last edited by rob.boost; 05-17-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Many thanks!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 PM
Well, I found the leak and corrected, however, it has reoccurred after some spirited driving. It seems to keep popping off.

I have searched around and found that these "clips" are referred to as c-clips, retaining clips, or spring clips. I can't seem to find a part number and I'm unsure on the exact description before requesting replacements.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:24 AM
Hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like you may have some damage in the area where the clip is. Could just be the angle of light or some light scratches. Normally when putting these back on you will hear a "click" when they seat properly. Sometimes you will have to wiggle the connection or slightly twist back and forth to get it to seat in place.

If it is damaged, there are aftermarket ways you can go. From price ranges they go from GT2, to SRM 4.5" (you can get from sam@bydesignauto.com on this site), or AMS for the higher priced.

Normally unless the clip is completely warped or not fitting properly it usually isn't the culprit. Again try the wiggle / twist method and see if you can get it to click in place.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:47 AM
cam99 will become famous soon enoughcam99 will become famous soon enough
Try a little sudsy water on the o ring till you hear the "click" sound and are not able to pull the hose back off.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks, all! I ordered new parts, so I'll try again once received.