997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Blew a turbo... now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:04 PM
dangeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TimeTomorrow
I have no experience with blouch or rebuilt VTG's..... but in general automotive turbocharging it's worth the cost for a new turbo at $2300, if that price is real, instead of risking a rebuild, given the effort required to change a turbo on this car.
New turbos don't cost $2300. They're more in the ballpark of $6K and reman turbo is about $3300 - $3500. I don't know about you but I ain't Rockefeller .

If nothing is wrong with the housing itself, impellers or the shaft and the only thing that's wrong is an oil seal, then why not buy a rebuild kit and DIY (if your mechanically incline) or send them in to a company like Blouch who most likely would have some warranty on the product.

With that being said, if there was something mechanically wrong with the turbo (bad housing, bent shaft, etc) then a reman would be appropriate.

just my .02

Old 09-25-2016, 05:05 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dangeris
New turbos don't cost $2300. They're more in the ballpark of $6K and reman turbo is about $3300 - $3500. I don't know about you but I ain't Rockefeller .
I'm with you here. I'd like to see a link from the guy above who said he can get new replacements for $2.3k.

edit: saw a bunch for 5k+, but look at this:
https://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/pa...iagram=6936455

$2.3k

http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...a74fd4c4fcc64/

$2.5k

If nothing is wrong with the housing itself, impellers or the shaft and the only thing that's wrong is an oil seal, then why not buy a rebuild kit and DIY (if your mechanically incline) or send them in to a company like Blouch who most likely would have some warranty on the product.

With that being said, if there was something mechanically wrong with the turbo (bad housing, bent shaft, etc) then a reman would be appropriate.

just my .02
Because rebuilding a CHRA is notoriously unreliable done either professionally or by an amateur. Another reason? it has to be high speed balanced. Your chances of finding a place that has the type of equipment used by the major manufacturers is vanishingly small. Sure sometimes good enough is good enough... but you need to be aware you are rolling the dice and the stakes are pretty high. Plenty of rebuilds have been great, but you have to assess your tolerance for risk, as if the rebuild goes south, it's going to hurt. Replacing just the CHRA with new factory balanced part and swapping over housings and extras has been proven reliable, but I'm not sure that's an option here.

Last edited by TimeTomorrow; 09-25-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Silly rabbit motorsport in vegas has a high speed turbo balancer

Old 09-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by TimeTomorrow
Because rebuilding a CHRA is notoriously unreliable done either professionally or by an amateur. Another reason? it has to be high speed balanced. Your chances of finding a place that has the type of equipment used by the major manufacturers is vanishingly small. Sure sometimes good enough is good enough... but you need to be aware you are rolling the dice and the stakes are pretty high. Plenty of rebuilds have been great, but you have to assess your tolerance for risk, as if the rebuild goes south, it's going to hurt. Replacing just the CHRA with new factory balanced part and swapping over housings and extras has been proven reliable, but I'm not sure that's an option here.
Usually when disassembling a turbo, one should scribe or index the impeller to the shaft before removing. That way, you set a mark to where it was balanced. I know, that method is like balancing a tire on a old school balancer (two vertical rod and the tire hangs between them) vs a high speed balancer.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Silly rabbit motorsport in vegas has a high speed turbo balancer
I'm sure Blouch Performance Turbos in Lebanon Pa has one too.

Lucky me, They're like 30min from where I live!

Old 09-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
send it to Mikes Turbos, they will fix them right up

Old 09-25-2016, 06:06 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Guys... every single turbo rebuilder is going to have a balancer. I'm not saying they don't. The chinese turbos they sell on ebay that blow up in 5k miles are high speed balanced. It's not the same equipment, clean room conditions, etc as a major turbo manufacturer.

Now maybe a certain few rebuilders have cracked the code to getting oe reliability out of rebuilds, but as a whole, and over the long term and wide range turbos and shops, shop turbo rebuilds are not as consistently reliable as oe, by a significant factor.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...857.0.0.cUQA2b

Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 AM
garychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to behold
I would call Forced Performance Turbos and ask For Robert, He rebuilt my turbos on my 997.2 and added billet compressor wheels and the price for both was less than 1 new turbo from Porsche.

I am not mentioning price because he hooks me up as I get all my Turbos for racing from them. In the end, I had sent the turbos for a rebuild due to oil on the hot side only on one of the turbos, and I thought I had a blown seal on one of them, but it just so happened they were 100% OK and that the car had too much oil in the motor causing this. I decided since he took them apart, to just add billet wheels so the shipping etc was not a waste. The car def makes more power but not sure how much, because I also did a few more things.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:10 AM
So I called Blouch Performance and spoke to one of the techs. They said they don't rebuild them cause they're practically bullet proof and if theyare failing its due to a higher issue (scored cylinder, etc) and that a deep dive needs to be performed with a bore scope and such. He also added that it may be best to just purchase a new or reman'd turbo.

I'm no expert but it sounds like that they don't have experience in working with BW turbos. What do you guys think.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 PM
So I finally got my car back from the shop and boy does it sound great! And it should as essentially had the cats de-cored and so now its just a straight pipe.

I also added a set of mini cats from FVD and also replaced the front O2 sensors as the original ones must have gotten contaminated. So the only thing thats an issue is the turbo is still spitting oil. The question is how much oil? and how long will it last.

While in the shop ( and I already mentioned this above) I called Blousch Performance Turbos in Lebanon and spoke to the guy. He said he only worked on a few 997 turbos and when he did the only thing they did was upgraded the impellers. He also added if the turbo is spitting oil its due to s higher level issue. When I mentioned this to my mechanic, he said the easiest way to find out is to pull off the rear bumper and remove the coils and visually inspect each coil. He highly doubts that's the issue but If I wanted to know, that would be the best way to find out.

At this point, its late in the season and most likely at the end of October, I'll be putting the car away. With that said, my options are:

* Cut my loses and sell the car ( hurts my heart just to say that)
* Replace the turbos with re-man turbo at $3500 each
* Remove the turbos in the winter and send them out to a shop to be rebuilt.

What do you guys think? Will I have seller's remorse if I sell the car? Honestly, I LOVE driving the car and the feeling I have of being integrated with car when I'm driving it. No other car I've had makes me have such a $hit eatin grin when I'm ripping through the gears..

Any and all advice and input will be appreciated.

Last edited by dangeris; 10-03-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:02 PM

Any and all advice and input will be appreciated.

You are missing the best solution. Put the car up for the winter and spend the time getting used/good deal upgraded vtgs. For me it's a lot less painful to pay for an upgrade. People who go to conventional turbos sell upgraded vtgs for reasonable sums fairly regularly.

Just an aside, those 2300$ brand new turbos i linked were the wrong part?

Old 10-03-2016, 07:12 PM
You're right. That is an important note. Thanks fro the insight.

As for the part, yes. All of the parts for a 2007 and 2008 are superseded with the 2009 parts. And lucky me, the cost for those is about $3500/ea. But you're right maybe acquiring a set of used upgraded VTGs is an option.

Do people sell them on here?

Last edited by dangeris; 10-07-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 PM
You're right. That is an important note. Thanks fro the insight.

As for the part, yes. All of the parts for a 2007 and 2008 are superseded with the 2009 parts. And lucky me, the cost for those is about $3500/ea. But you're right maybe acquiring a set of used VTGs is an option.

Do people sell them on here?

Sure... I'm only linking upgrades because paying all that money for stock is lame

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bos-997tt.html

I'd be hitting this guy up asap

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...63-5-sale.html

another good option.

If one of your turbos is still good, you can throw that one up on ebay and recoup some cost as well. Someone will probably even buy the blown one separately for a few bucks.... maybe enough to add some intercoolers if you are still on stockers.

Last edited by TimeTomorrow; 10-03-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:45 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Once again,

Who rebuilds VTG's with new bearings and cartridges?

Upgraded turbines only increase the failure rate in my own personal opinion. Did you just buy a recent leaking problem from me with an increasing turbine motive? Increased wheel spin increases rotation on the bearings and thus leads to bearing failure. Why did Porshe settle on 17psi vrs (tuners) 22psi? Longevity.

Upgraded units work for street use just fine but, if your car sees track usage, think again. I'm not the OP but, if i was, i would like to hear more about OEM modification on this topic. I will let the OP decide on that.

Although very informative, I'm not surprised by Blouch's response. I was hoping to hear a bit more on this topic in regards to a true rebuild.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
i have a set of stock VTGs if anyone needs.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew a turbo... now what?