997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Vivid DRL's cloudy (pic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:43 AM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I've been on the fence about this mod. I like the way that LED DRLs look. I like the idea of a modified light that replaces the OE turn signal, because it doesn't really change the appearance of the car. I also thought about changing my fog lights for DRLs like the 997.2, but I actually use my fog lights. We get quite a bit of fog up in the mountains. I guess the biggest thing holding me back is that I'm concerned about the reliability and lifespan of the aftermarket LEDs. Any thoughts?
I'd convert the fogs to DRL but if thats not an option for you check out the Techart LED which goes above the factory LED assembly. Not really my cup of tea but their product quality is surely better than what I have

or..

you can check into FVD or some of the other manufacturers.. I dont have any experience with them yet.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
I would presume they come from the same manufacturer. Unless this is a high volume product where multiple companies are willing to spend 10's of thousands of $$$ for each manufacturer to make a new mockup, mold, and minimum bulk order.

Just buff and coat the lens...

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 06-14-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Southpaw07 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw07 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw07 is a jewel in the rough
With the main headlights on, do these DRLs:

1.) stay on at full strength?
2.) stay on and dim?
3.) shut off?

...and yes, I'd try a compound on a D/A polisher first then coat or clearbra.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:41 AM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OhSoCal
With the main headlights on, do these DRLs:

1.) stay on at full strength?
2.) stay on and dim?
3.) shut off?

...and yes, I'd try a compound on a D/A polisher first then coat or clearbra.
They are always on, and at same intensity the minute the key is on.

They do not dim like Mercedes .

Not sure if this is just how my set is wired, or if its the only option.

Last edited by 997TTEQNY; 06-16-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of time the haziness could come from inside if they were not sealed correctly during the drying process. The material is a plastic called PC (polycarbonate) - it can show haziness with a certain amount of heat so no matter how much you buff them on the inside, the haziness will still be there - just be careful how much pressure you apply - it will be very unlikely you will damage them, but if you work on them for a while and nothing happens...stop...you will get more and more frustrated.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:23 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
I got this mod done in 2013 on my 997.2 and frankly I don't like the way it looks now. Cheap design / execution and there is water condensation on the inside. And from driving in front of the car at night makes the car seem very "narrow" (is the only way I can describe it). I'm going back to stock and turning on the stock day time running light which is the single fog light which spaced at the end of the bumper more appropriately and makes the car seem much wider. My 2cents.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Why do people continue buying from vivid? And why are they still sponsors here with so many dissatisfied customers ?

Stick with oem or pay for proper mods !

Old 06-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eurotom
Why do people continue buying from vivid? And why are they still sponsors here with so many dissatisfied customers ?

+1000 was just about to write the same.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by eurotom

They were installed on my car from prev owner

Old 06-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by longboarder
I got this mod done in 2013 on my 997.2 and frankly I don't like the way it looks now. Cheap design / execution and there is water condensation on the inside. And from driving in front of the car at night makes the car seem very "narrow" (is the only way I can describe it). I'm going back to stock and turning on the stock day time running light which is the single fog light which spaced at the end of the bumper more appropriately and makes the car seem much wider. My 2cents.
Interesting, thanks for your insight. Mind posting a night time head on picture?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FNG
Interesting, thanks for your insight. Mind posting a night time head on picture?
Here is a night time pic for you. I also updated all the other lights to 6000K LEDs...Happy so far. Hard to get a night shot and straight on just washes out (I am no photographer )

DC

Old 06-27-2016, 12:39 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Anyone know if there is an option to re-wire these DRLs so the stock settings are present? The stock setting on the 997.2 is for the fog lights to always be on in the day when the main lights are not on. I believe once the main lights are turned on then the fogs are off (from what I remember???). And then the DRLs only act as a blinker.

Thanks.