997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Turbo turbo boost issues (intermittent non-full boost)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 04:07 AM
Sinwei is an unknown quantity at this point
997.1 Turbo boost issues (intermittent non-full boost)

Hi,

I have intermittent turbo boost issues with my 997.1 Turbo Cab. While driving recently I note that occasionally I am unable to get full turbo beyond 0.6PSI. This issue goes away after I restart the car. I had not driven the car for 2.5 weeks and this issue cropped up recently over the past 2-3 days.

There is no CEL message.

Did a smoke test today but found no leaks. The error codes I am getting are attached.

Other than BMC filter, the car is stock. Could it be the mass air sensors which are causing this issue?

Most grateful in advance for any thought/help on this!

Last edited by Sinwei; 06-25-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hi. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Smoke tests are great but they only pump between two and four psi through the system. Sometimes your problems begin beyond that which is likely what you are experiencing. Looks pretty straightforward and easy to fix with a proper pressure test. Feel free to contact me Monday and I would gladly walk you through what to do and help you sort it out. Fortunately, most of the time it's a minor issue with these cars!

Old 06-25-2016, 10:38 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Like Sam said you need a proper pressure test ... I had these made locally, you need something similar to put at least 1Bar through the system ..

Old 06-25-2016, 10:59 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
You have no VTG actuator error codes. The lack of boost pressure and system rich codes = big boost leak. Your maf sensors may be fine. The implausible maf flow readings compared to what the computer sees as far as fueling can sometimes throw implausibility codes. Fix the leak. Reset the ECU and see if anything pops back up.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by A418t81
You have no VTG actuator error codes. The lack of boost pressure and system rich codes = big boost leak. Your maf sensors may be fine. The implausible maf flow readings compared to what the computer sees as far as fueling can sometimes throw implausibility codes. Fix the leak. Reset the ECU and see if anything pops back up.
Thanks very much for all your insights (which are helpful)! I was glad that I didn't see the VTG actuator error codes! I understand that the actuators are attached to the turbo and the car doesn't have a wastegate.
Anyhow, I'm bringing the car in on Monday - I'm in Singapore - for a fuller check and will certainly ask about conducting a proper pressure test. I understand that BMC filters can sometime affect the MAFs too.
The strange thing is I drove the car today and there is no turbo boost issues!!?!??
Will keep everyone posted when I get to the bottom of the cause of this intermittent non-full boost and error codes.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:45 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Pressure test first. Lambda sensors and air meters.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Pressure test first. Lambda sensors and air meters.
Many thanks, GTRNICK! Assuming no leaks, I was wondering why issues relating to the lambda sensors and air meters will result in the intermittent lack of full boost. Most grateful for your thoughts on this.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sinwei
Many thanks, GTRNICK! Assuming no leaks, I was wondering why issues relating to the lambda sensors and air meters will result in the intermittent lack of full boost. Most grateful for your thoughts on this.

No problem also check actuator rods just for the hell of it. been through it myself.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:43 AM
My indie and I finally got to the bottom of the problem (or rather non-existence issue!!) for my 997.1 Turbo Cab.

The car had not been driven (or started) for around 3 weeks and it would appear that dirt clogged up near the MAF, air filter and/or exhaust - Singapore is a hot tropical and humid city. This in turn affected the "initial" readings from the MAF or lambda sensors, which affected performance. When I first started/drove the car (after 3 weeks) the rev was going up and down too.

Anyhow, my indie rev up the car at the workshop for quite a while and that appeared to clear up whatever dirt clogged which was there. All the fault codes disappeared and after a week's drive, I am overjoyed everything's back to normal...touch wood!

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!