997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exciting tire news for street classes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:37 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Exciting tire news for street classes.

Looking through tire rack today and notice something very exciting, well to me at least and I hope they make them eventually in a 325 as well.

Bridgestone released the re-71r in a 305/30/19 and also for some time have had 235/35/19 and 245/35/19.

The re-71r is by far the most aggressive 200aa street class tire on the market and has grip levels really close to r compound tire. They are truly amazing. This is awesome news for guys running autox and club racing their street cars. They are available 8/22/16. Just though I'd share.

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel= Potenza+RE-71R&partnum=03WR9RE71RXL

Last edited by flewis763; 07-26-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:29 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
Nice find!!!!

Mikey

Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Very interesting and nice find. I wasn't aware of existence of this Bridgestone. Even more aggressive than my favorite, RE 11, which I prefer over Michelin Pilor Super Sport because of its very "sporty" design (very stiff side-wall, almost like Michelin Cup, yet unlike the Michelin Cup still usable on road is wet).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
RE 71 versus RE 11
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...potenza-re-11a
New Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R vs Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A
Wednesday, March 18, 2015 by Gary Stanley
Bridgestone is a leader in the area of research and development in the tire industry. It's no wonder that their Potenza RE-11, and its successor, the Potenza RE-11A have been top-rated Extreme Performance Summer tires since their initial releases. If you aren't familiar with this category of tires, take a look at "What are Extreme Performance Summer Tires?"

Now with the introduction of the Potenza RE-71R, Bridgestone has raised the bar once again. Some older enthusiasts may remember the original Potenza RE-71 tire from the 1980s when it was first used on a Porsche 959 Supercar.

The "R" in the RE-71R name stands for "Revival" and the new RE-71R is a tire worthy of the name's heritage. In Bridgestone's internal testing, they found that the RE-71R was 1%-1.5% faster during track lapping sessions on road race courses, and even quicker in autocross testing.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A Bridgestone Potenza RE- 71R
Bridgestone Potenza RE- 71R

The new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R carries the same 200 UTQG wear rating, but is expected to have a bit shorter treadwear than the older Potenza RE-11A. Also, expect a slightly stiffer ride and an increase in tread noise on the street. As a reward for these tradeoffs, the new RE-71R has quicker steering response, better on-center feel and most importantly, it has higher levels of dry grip and wet traction. This makes the new RE-71R up to the task of competing with the current crop of performance tires that are frequently used in SCCA racing, like the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival and Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec.

Get an edge over the competition on the track with the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R!

- See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d....pPy1Fndj.dpuf

Last edited by cannga; 07-26-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:54 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
Very interesting and nice find. I wasn't aware of existence of this Bridgestone. Even more aggressive than my favorite, RE 11, which I prefer over Michelin Pilor Super Sport because of its very "sporty" design (very stiff side-wall, almost like Michelin Cup, yet unlike the Michelin Cup still usable on road is wet).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
RE 71 versus RE 11
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...potenza-re-11a
New Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R vs Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A
Wednesday, March 18, 2015 by Gary Stanley
Bridgestone is a leader in the area of research and development in the tire industry. It's no wonder that their Potenza RE-11, and its successor, the Potenza RE-11A have been top-rated Extreme Performance Summer tires since their initial releases. If you aren't familiar with this category of tires, take a look at "What are Extreme Performance Summer Tires?"

Now with the introduction of the Potenza RE-71R, Bridgestone has raised the bar once again. Some older enthusiasts may remember the original Potenza RE-71 tire from the 1980s when it was first used on a Porsche 959 Supercar.

The "R" in the RE-71R name stands for "Revival" and the new RE-71R is a tire worthy of the name's heritage. In Bridgestone's internal testing, they found that the RE-71R was 1%-1.5% faster during track lapping sessions on road race courses, and even quicker in autocross testing.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A Bridgestone Potenza RE- 71R
Bridgestone Potenza RE- 71R

The new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R carries the same 200 UTQG wear rating, but is expected to have a bit shorter treadwear than the older Potenza RE-11A. Also, expect a slightly stiffer ride and an increase in tread noise on the street. As a reward for these tradeoffs, the new RE-71R has quicker steering response, better on-center feel and most importantly, it has higher levels of dry grip and wet traction. This makes the new RE-71R up to the task of competing with the current crop of performance tires that are frequently used in SCCA racing, like the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival and Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec.

Get an edge over the competition on the track with the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R!

- See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d....pPy1Fndj.dpuf
The re-71 has a lot more dry traction compared to the re-11 (which is a great tire and what I run) but is not quite as good in the wet imo. The dry grip though like said is close to some r compound tires. They do wear much faster than the re-11 though.

Honeslty right now they are the best st class tire out there. Very popular in scca and nasa but up until now was only available in narrower sizes. Brz, ati, evo, s2000, 370z, miata, etc guys all love them and run constantly better times over other class tires.

Here is an example of my good friend Jon Faber who is our regional scca director with his brz. When the re-71 gets warmed up it literally become so sticky it started pulling the chip seal off the parking lots after they got off track.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm going to guess that the size available next year for them will be even larger and they will eventually completely take the place of the re-11. Coming out with a 305/30/19 I think k they are going after the 997 gt3 market.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:27 PM
changster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond repute
Are these better than AD08R's? I think AD08R's are hard to beat for a street tire.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by changster
Are these better than AD08R's? I think AD08R's are hard to beat for a street tire.
Based on track time and also imo the re-71 has more grip.

Other issue the the ad08r do not meet steer car class requirements for scca or nasa because they are a 180aa tire. Re71 is a 200aa tire and was solely designed for st class racing/street use.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:00 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
How do these do in comparison with R888s?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:41 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
subscribed

Old 07-29-2016, 10:40 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
How do these do in comparison with R888s?
I've been running the RE71R's for quite some time on my ESS 650 M3 both street and track. They perform very similar to a 100 tread wear tire like the R888's in dry conditions - never used the 'stones in the wet. The 'stones hold up really well lap after lap after lap. I'm passing much faster cars by the end of the session.

The 'stones are not a great street tire because after a track day and a few street miles, they start howling like the R888.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:10 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flewis763
The re-71 has a lot more dry traction compared to the re-11 (which is a great tire and what I run) but is not quite as good in the wet imo. The dry grip though like said is close to some r compound tires. They do wear much faster than the re-11 though.

Honeslty right now they are the best st class tire out there. Very popular in scca and nasa but up until now was only available in narrower sizes. Brz, ati, evo, s2000, 370z, miata, etc guys all love them and run constantly better times over other class tires.

Here is an example of my good friend Jon Faber who is our regional scca director with his brz. When the re-71 gets warmed up it literally become so sticky it started pulling the chip seal off the parking lots after they got off track.
As a long time fan of RE11, I will definitely will try RE-71 next for fun. Thanks again for posting. I actually don't mind the at all the shorter life span. All old tires become noisy and stiff - I couldn't wait to get rid of my Michelin PSS. They lasted *too* long :-).
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...SortCode=58154

As posted in my Bilstein thread, note significant weight saving over RE11; 4 lbs per axle and 8 lbs total - nothing to sneeze at. Now even lighter than Michelin PSS.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3815659
Michelin Cup (R comp): front/rear 20/27 = 47 lbs
Pirelli Corsa (R comp): 21/26 = 47
Continental Extreme Contact DW: 21/28 = 49
Hoosier R6 (Race tire, not for street, 315/30-19 rear): 22/27 = 49
Michelin PS2: 22/28 = 50****
Continental SportContact 3: 22/28 = 50
Pirelli Rosso: 22/29 = 51
Bridgestone RE71R: 24/30=54****
Michelin Pilot Super Sport: 25/30 = 55****
Bridgestone RE050A: 24/31 = 55
Hankook Ventus V12: 24/32=56
Toyo Roxes R888 (R Comp): 25/31 = 56
Bridgestone RE11: 26/32 = 58

Last edited by cannga; 07-30-2016 at 04:14 PM.