997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Squeak when depressing clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:08 AM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Squeak when depressing clutch

Hi all:

About 4 months ago or so I noticed an annoying squeak when the clutch is depressed...especially as it reaches those last few mm towards the ground. I looked under and thought it was coming from where the actuator rod enters the slave cylinder in the footwell, so I sprayed some Blaster TDL lubricant in the area -- no real improvement.

After reading up on potential causes a bit more, I saw a lot of reference to the clutch helper spring causing a squeak. So, this weekend I finally got around to pulling out the stock unit and planned on replacing it with a GT3 unit I bought a little while back. After wrangling the stock unit out, I decided to drive around without a helper spring at all. Unfortunately, squeak is still there. I used a mechanic stethoscope and fully isolated it to where the actuator rod and slave cylinder join. Tried to spray a bit more TDL in there but it didn't do anything...again

From the prior owner, the car has a GT2 slave conversion (EVOMS) and Sachs "2.5" clutch/PP upgrade. Clutch actuation/modulation is great with no slipping.

I've seen reference to the linkage fork perhaps needing a bit of lube, but I don't think you can easily access that, right? My car is going to a local shop for an oil change later this week -- I can have them take a quick look but is there anything "easy" for me to ask them to do? Perhaps instead of spray lube to use a grease gun to really try and pack the area where the actuator rod enters the slave?

The squeak can barely be heard when actually driving but is loud enough to be apparent at low/no speed. But, I don't like my car to sound like a jalopy. Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2016, 10:01 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
funny you mention this, I've had that little annoying squeek for a while now too...volume is so low but with your foot on the clutch you hear/feel it and its just ever so annoying haha!

I have a shop and everytime I drive my car i forget to even bring it in to look at it. If you dont find the answer soon I'll bring mine in (doing the hoses/engine out fix soon) so I'll let you know.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Quadcammer is on a distinguished road
I get that a bit too on my 08. Can't hear it with the engine running, but when you push the clutch in to start the car, I hear it.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:55 PM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
You can definitely hear it on mine when engine running/at speed as well, but not as intrusive. Regardless, it dampens the driving experience. I should have taken a video of it and posted it here. I am having it inspected as we speak and will report back later tonight/tomorrow. And if the squeak is the same, I'll post a video for fun.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:00 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Can you post a video? I may have this as well!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Sorry, intended on posting a sound clip but the "voice recorder" on my iPhone didn't really pick things up well, even when I held the phone near my left leg. I'll try again this week with an actual video recording...hopefully that helps. But, the squeak is definitely loud enough....

Separately, the assumed diagnosis was that the clutch master cylinder can't adequately hold the increased pressure since the power-assist system has been removed. I dunno...car has the EVOMS kit which includes the GT2 master. I suppose it could have gone bad (perhaps due to pentosin contamination or something during install?). Need to see how costly and difficult replacing just the clutch MC is.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:25 PM
I had a chance to take a couple videos today -- you can see that the squeak occurs only when depressing (not on the rebound) the clutch -- basically just in those last few mm before the pedal is fully depressed. You can also see that things are pretty well greased.

The squeak is really no different at idle (or when driving) vs. when the car is off. I took videos of both situations just in case.

A couple things I will do -- right now I am running with no helper spring. I'll install a GT3 helper spring module I ordered previously to see if that changes anything (doubt it will, but it should help reduce the amount of force needed to depress the clutch). I will also take a look at all other potential friction points in the pedal assembly and make sure everything is lubed. However, it appears like there is something going on with or in the clutch master cylinder. It isn't an expensive part but I am not sure what labor to R&R runs (have to factor in a bleed as well).

Last edited by TypeRx; 08-23-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:38 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
yes that is the EXACT noise mine makes did you ever find out what the issue was, have you resolved it?

Old 08-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by dinorocz
yes that is the EXACT noise mine makes did you ever find out what the issue was, have you resolved it?
Nope -- the shop lubed everything up and nothing has changed. They think there might be a problem with the clutch master cylinder. I am going to re-install the GT3 helper spring but am not anticipating that to make a difference. I'll also see if there is anything else I can do RE: lubrication but doubt it.

Do you have the factory master cylinder? Have you had any clutch or slave cylinder work done (my car has EVOMS GT2 slave conversion in addition to Sachs 2.5 clutch kit).

If not too expensive (labor wise) I might have the MC swapped out. But, I also want to have someone else take a look at it -- maybe I'll take it to BBi one of these days to see what they think....

Old 08-24-2016, 02:07 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
lol this is the exact same squeak I have. I'm not sure if it's the master cylinder - I had mine replaced maybe 6-10 months ago so it's not that old. I have also noticed that the squeaking is intermittent. Some days it will squeak, other days it will be silent. On the days it's squeaking though, it's squeaking every press.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by acf
lol this is the exact same squeak I have. I'm not sure if it's the master cylinder - I had mine replaced maybe 6-10 months ago so it's not that old. I have also noticed that the squeaking is intermittent. Some days it will squeak, other days it will be silent. On the days it's squeaking though, it's squeaking every press.
Replaced with a stock master cylinder? And why did you have it replaced (and who did it at what cost)?

Yeah, the squeak I have is easy to replicate -- every time I push the clutch down to the carpet. If I shift quick or don't 100% depress the clutch, no squeak.

I am surprised we haven't seen more complaints about this??

Old 08-24-2016, 04:11 PM
acf
Replaced with stock yes. I had it replaced at newport porsche because they tend to go bad by themselves, along with the accumulator.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by acf
Replaced with stock yes. I had it replaced at newport porsche because they tend to go bad by themselves, along with the accumulator.
If you have any recollection on number of hours or cost to replace (parts+labor) please add here

Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 AM
acf
Sorry I don't remember how much it was. But here's a video of my squeak. It doesn't matter if the car is on or off, the squeak is the same. You won't need to turn your volume up that loud to hear it!

https://vimeo.com/182302906

Are these guys in this thread having the same problem?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cth-pedal.html

Originally Posted by TypeRx
If you have any recollection on number of hours or cost to replace (parts+labor) please add here

Old 09-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
I would flush the Pentosin with new stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeak when depressing clutch