997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Wet weather driving, no bueno!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Wet weather driving, no bueno!

I live in Hawaii and i'm in my first 911 ever. She's daily driven so she gets plenty of use. Prior to owning, i figured it would be a great wet weather car since it's all wheel drive. In the middle of hurricane Darby (July 2016), i took her out and thought i'd go sliding around Tantalus (tight mountain roads in Honolulu) since i only live 2 minutes away. I took her out and within 100 feet she's squealing like an awfully upset pig, power steering is kicking in and out, and i get a "reduced charging" warning light. So much to that so i turned her around.. With Madeline and Lester approaching, ill probably get a little depressed while she sits in the garage. /rant

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 08-31-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:07 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
There's wet weather and there's WET weather. Hurricanes are a bit extreme....

Old 08-31-2016, 05:31 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
Aloha, Also on Oahu,
my 07 997TT squeels loudly at low rpms after washing for a minute or so but stops when reved up a bit or after a minute. Does same when starting after being left outside in rain-
Yr ago had a gatorback belt put on by dealer under CPO after they replaced 2 pulleys & stock belt & couldn't find cause of strange belt/pulley noise when driving at 2k rpms-
Tech told me he had few complaints from newer TT owners about squeeling when wet- using gatorback belt helped some

Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 PM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
hm.. something is odd, car should be fine in the rain. I did some pretty good AWD donuts (helicopters) in my car

Old 08-31-2016, 08:40 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dennis C
There's wet weather and there's WET weather. Hurricanes are a bit extreme....
What's wrong with almost a foot of rain in 6 hours???

But in all seriousness, it wasn't apocalyptic levels of water downpour. Other cars were just fine.

bgrpph, stay safe and dry!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:26 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FNG
What's wrong with almost a foot of rain in 6 hours??? But in all seriousness, it wasn't apocalyptic levels of water downpour. Other cars were just fine. bgrpph, stay safe and dry!
I remember the winter of '06 it rained 43 straight days. Day 40 it rained 10 inches (I lived in Kailua) in a few hours and flossed my house as the ground was already saturated.

Anyway just left the Big Island a few days ago back in SoCal. Good luck you should be fine on O'ahu.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:09 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Aloha

LOLOL I'm heading to Maui tomorrow... not the best time for a vacation with Lester around the corner.

Living in Vancouver mine sees a lot of rain and its a daily driver. No tsunami downpours here, but it has seen its fair share of really wet and slippery (and icy) weather.
I've had no issues with her at all.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:39 PM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
Car is great in the rain, my first one was a DD too and I've driven from CH or D to BE during heavy rain, I remember one time it was raining so hard you could hardly see anything. Car did just fine.

Spray some WD40 or the like while the engine is turning. Had the same belt problem with a 993 once and that cured it. Or your belt could be worn of course.

Last edited by TT-911; 08-31-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:42 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Sounds like you need your car serviced. I have driven in pouring rain and not had any issue. Perhaps a bad belt, to tensioner needing adjustment.

Last edited by JSF721; 09-02-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:50 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
When it first rains or going through a car wash and/or if the engine is cold when water gets on the belt, it squeals like a piglet. But it clears up after a little while. Also, if it squeals don't go full throttle!

If the squealing doesn't stop, then you should take your car in as the belt(s) may be a bit loose.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Prior experience was more than just "rain". It was a very heavy downpour (12 inches in 6 hours) on already saturated land.

But during this threat, Honolulu got some of the best weather this summer. Cool breeze, some sun, and some overcast wihich is sometimes nice. Madeline turned out to be a dud. Lester on it's way but it looks to be headed slightly north of the islands.

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 09-02-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:17 AM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 512bb
When it first rains or going through a car wash and/or if the engine is cold when water gets on the belt, it squeals like a piglet. But it clears up after a little while. Also, if it squeals don't go full throttle!

If the squealing doesn't stop, then you should take your car in as the belt(s) may be a bit loose.
This was always a surprising engineering oversight to me. I actually posted a thread years ago about this issue. First time I washed my turbo it sizzled from the engine bay (engine was still warm) and squealed after a wash. I couldn't believe this pinnacle of Porsche engineering that is designed for "everyday" could really only be everday when it was sunny and dry . But the brief loss of power steering and squealing when it rains or the engine is wet is a little unsettling. I basically never drive it in the rain and put a towel over the engine and close the lid every time I wash the car to minimize water on the belt and other components. Still a perplexing design

Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MK23
This was always a surprising engineering oversight to me. I actually posted a thread years ago about this issue. First time I washed my turbo it sizzled from the engine bay (engine was still warm) and squealed after a wash. I couldn't believe this pinnacle of Porsche engineering that is designed for "everyday" could really only be everday when it was sunny and dry . But the brief loss of power steering and squealing when it rains or the engine is wet is a little unsettling. I basically never drive it in the rain and put a towel over the engine and close the lid every time I wash the car to minimize water on the belt and other components. Still a perplexing design
Not perplexing when one considers the bigger concern is ensuring a hard working Turbo engine and engine compartment get plenty of air to keep engine compartment temperature down to prevent causing heat damage to the various critical components therein.

So a bit of water gets on the accessory drive belt/pulleys? Not a big deal at all.

My 996 Turbo belt sometimes slips a moment or two after a wash, or the rare occasion the car sits out in the rain.

When washing the car I avoid flooding the engine compartment but I do wash the lid and the spoiler and then rinse the lid and spoiler.

When I start the engine after the wash (or after having sat out in the rain) I just know the belt can possibly slip a bit so when I start the engine I watch the battery voltage gage. If the belt is slipping this will read low. I just let the engine idle and the belt/pulleys dry. Takes just a moment or two.

As the accessory drive dries the belt might chirp once or twice which is harmless. What is not harmless is putting any lubricant on the pulley or the belt. Leave the WD-40 on the shelf in the garage.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by MK23
Exactly what i'm trying to say. Yes it'll drive in light to moderate rain. It will not drive in very heavy rain, let alone mild flood situations where virtually every other vehicle can handle just fine.