997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exhaust Install Prep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:35 PM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
not a fan of twisting the o2 sensors but whatever floats your boat. to me its a simple unplug and drop them pout. as the 7/8 on my 996tt its a perfect fit maybe the 997tt is different
having installed literally a hundred or more O2 sensors, it's a serious non issue, I've never once had one fail from wiring or being twisted. The issue is the clips that hold the harness in place are often brittle and difficult to get to, it has nothing to do with the difficulty of getting the O2 sensors out.

Also if you are using a jack or some other way to brace the exhaust there is plenty of slack to lower the exhaust and remove them.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
I had a Kline exhaust installed recently. I blasted the exhaust bolts with Liquid Wrench a couple times before i brought it to my mechanic. I also bought a bunch of BMW copper 8mm nuts since the original ones usually rust completely through. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/18307620549/

Old 10-29-2016, 04:19 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
If you're going to unplug the sensor at the clip end, might be worth tying some string to it so you can easily pull it back through when you've attached to the new exhaust.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:58 AM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Some studs will definitely back out. Where does one buy the studs?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:19 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
I actually found them at the auto parts store. Exact match to stock. The dealer is also good but they usually don't stock them.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:09 AM
KyRoGo will become famous soon enough
Alright, I apologize for the delay in updating this thread, but I wanted to make sure I left some notes for anyone who tackles this in the future.
  • For the most part, the tear down and install is straight forward. I highly recommend taking the intercoolers off to gain additional access. I can't imagine trying to do the job with them in place and they really don't take much time to R&R.
  • I took a Friday off of work and tore the car down on a Wednesday night so I could start loading up the exhaust studs/nuts with Kroil. I highly recommend soaking them as many times as you can leading up to install day. My car has only 14k miles, so I'm sure that helped, but I had no issues removing the old nuts; however, even still, 4 studs backed out. Luckily, my local dealer had them in stock (even though, I could've probably just reused the ones that backed out).
  • Taking my time, I had all of the nuts off the studs in probably an hour. The part that was time consuming for me were the exhaust straps! If I were to do it over, I would have loaded them up with Kroil too, but I wonder if that would've helped. Even with my car being low miles and barely driven in adverse weather, one of the OEM exhaust strap bolts snapped. Luckily, I was able to cut it in half with a dremel, but getting the straps off the hangers was still a nightmare.
  • By the time I finally got the OEM exhaust removed, I would say I'd been working on the car for a solid 4 hours. Luckily, the install of the Kline was straight forward. One note on the reinstall, make sure to install the heat shield covering the turbo before you put on the new cat/decat pipe! Silly mistakes like this are what made my install take much longer than it needed to.

Luckily, the long days work was well worth the reward. I went with a Kline 2.5" decat system as it suits my needs and intensions for the car perfectly. Coming from a Cayman S with a Fabspeed race exhaust, this is so much more refined. WOT the car absolutely screams and just sounds angry as hell! However, where my old Cayman used to embarrassingly drone and rattle the interior, the Turbo with the Kline is only marginally louder than stock when cruising and has absolutely zero drone. The noise that the exhaust makes at all levels is much more beautiful and refined than stock, and after driving the car for a couple weeks, the sound just keeps getting better and better!

Felix from Kline was an absolute pleasure to work with and made sure to set me up with the correct system - thank you!

Also, another reason I went catless was because I knew I was going to work with Sam on having the car tuned. I based my decision to go with Sam on his involvement in this community and all of the positive reviews I see posted here. Let me just say that everything you hear about Sam is absolutely true! His customer service is truly top notch - who else sends over a revised file for you to upload at nearly 1 in the morning on Thanksgiving day! My car is running better than ever!! Thank you, Sam!

Finally, I want to thank everyone in the community for sharing their wisdom and knowledge on the install. Taking the majority of the back of the car apart looked a little crazy, but I never felt like I was in over my head because of all the great threads and information on this site. So thanks to all of you and hopefully this thread will help people in the future!

Kyle

Old 11-29-2016, 04:31 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Glad to hear it went smooth. Sam is the man for sure and the kline is a great sounding exhaust. The best is going under an overpass or tunnel with the windows down and nailing it. You don't realize how loud it really is until you try that.
Cheers

Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Former Vendor
Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !
Glad all worked out well Kyle. Enjoy your new setup and thank you for choosing Kline

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.