997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exhaust Feedback - Crackles, Burbles, Pops

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:47 AM
HellaHashTags has a spectacular aura aboutHellaHashTags has a spectacular aura about
Exhaust Feedback - Crackles, Burbles, Pops

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and have done a lot of searching and reading on here but still need some help on finding the right exhaust for my 997.2TT. There are so many exhausts on the market (Speedtech, Fabspeed, Agency Power, Europipe, GMG, AWE, BBI, FVD, Sharkwerks, Capristo, Milltek, Quicksilver, Akrapovic, Cargraphic, Cobb, Turbi, etc!)

What I'm looking for is a very specific exhaust characteristic: I'm looking for the most dramatic crackles, burbles, and pops during rev-down / off-throttle / deceleration.

This 991.2 (at the 1:00 mark) is almost what I'm looking for, specifically the crackles when off-throttle, with a more bass tone preferred.

I'm looking for comparative info only (XX exhaust has more crackles than YY exhaust), so please feedback if you've heard two or more aftermarket exhausts for our 997TT's. I've read so many posts that say "My exhaust sounds the best because the forum sponsor is very nice and he told me that their exhaust sounds the best!" These type of posts need not apply!

Oh, and here's a picture of my new-to-me car

Last edited by HellaHashTags; 11-29-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:57 AM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Sorry but what you're asking is ridiculous.

Do what everyone on here with after market exhaust has done.. go on youtube and listen to a million of them until your ears bleed.

then listen to more versions of the same exhausts with and without straight pipes, and bigger turbos, tunes, etc.

Much of what you are asking is predicated on how the car is setup.

PS-Nice car.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:32 PM
HellaHashTags has a spectacular aura aboutHellaHashTags has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by IMI A
The OEM exhaust in the vid sounds very tinny IMO. The crackling on the overrun is all marketing on modern Porsches. In something like an F40 or a Gallardo you have hotter, high velocity exhaust, suddenly followed by cooler, lower velocity gas which make the exhaust crackle. This excitement can easily be replicated by tweaking the ECU of any modern engine. They just command the injectors to squirt a bit of fuel on the exhaust stroke.

I have a Europipe 2 and when the car is up to temperature when at WOT then lift off it occasionally crackles. Its also whistles, is very bassy and barks .

Here's a few vids of a gen 2 turbo with the EP. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFNP0QVlBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xKoUnD21Qw

They also trade used for circa 75% of retail price

http://rennlist.com/forums/parts-mar...r-turbo-s.html

All the exhausts you mention are good. Sound is a very personal thing but could not be happier with EP. Also no cels with EP - no remap needed as per some other after market sports exhausts.
exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Old 11-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by 997TTEQNY
Sorry but what you're asking is ridiculous.

Do what everyone on here with after market exhaust has done.. go on youtube and listen to a million of them until your ears bleed.

then listen to more versions of the same exhausts with and without straight pipes, and bigger turbos, tunes, etc.

Much of what you are asking is predicated on how the car is setup.

PS-Nice car.
I was hoping that there would be at least a few people on this forum that have had multiple exhausts who could share some of their deltas.

I've tried listening to many videos on YouTube and the struggle is real. Due to differences in sound quality, I swear I've seen two different YouTube videos of the same exact set-up produce radically different sounds - it's a crap shoot!

Old 11-30-2016, 05:02 AM
erikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant future
I have a catless 3" Speedtech exhaust on my 997.2 TTS that produces pops and cracks on Decel and sounds great. It has a nice bassy tone as well. The only thing to remember if you go with catless is that you'll have a check engine light unless you get a tune to code it off and also make sure you'll be alright with your state inspection

Old 11-30-2016, 05:29 AM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
My Speedtech

Old 11-30-2016, 05:44 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
I suggest that you focus on videos of the 997.2 Turbo because the other Turbo models sound different.
With the 997.1 Turbo you get less cracking and popping whereas the 991.2 Carrera and 991 Turbo have this artificial chatter.

Also note that a 997.2 Turbo without sport chrono sounds less aggressive compared to one with the sport chrono option.
Without the sport chrono button activated its only half the fun.

With a 6speed you have more control over the cracking sound but you won’t hear that huge bang when shifting gears while at full boost. Catless is always louder but illegal most everywhere, over here you’re looking at a 15K fine.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
One exhaust that was omitted from your list is the Innotech Performance Exhaust (iPE) valved system. Enjoy:

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
I believe that you will have no luck having the poping sound at shifting like the 991.2. It is a software feature that the 997 plataform ECU don't have.
About exhaust, i'm very happy with Kline. It worths looking at it. Very exotic sound and a unique x-pipe that have minimal exhaust backpressure and turbulence compared to others.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:28 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tiago
I believe that you will have no luck having the poping sound at shifting like the 991.2. It is a software feature that the 997 plataform ECU don't have. About exhaust, i'm very happy with Kline. It worths looking at it. Very exotic sound and a unique x-pipe that have minimal exhaust backpressure and turbulence compared to others.
+1 on Kline. Great sound especially for daily, many members here will vouch for it. Sam at By Design is the place for Kline. Also he can give you advice on other systems as he has heard many.

Good luck and enjoy it the car!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:15 AM
santon997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant futuresanton997 has a brilliant future
My brother has. 997.2 Turbo with a Tubi exhaust. Car is relatively quiet under normal driving however you can tell it has an exhaust. However under load or wide open throttle sounds like an all out race car with this cracklings and ripping noises. Sounds really good and very tolerable for day to day driving.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks everybody for the feedback; I wanted to update you all on what I chose, why I chose it, and how I like it.

Big shout out to the guys over at Shark Werks over in Fremont CA, both for their product and their customer service.

I ended up choosing their 997.2TT Shark Werks exhaust. Like many of you have, I spent a lot of time browsing the forums and YouTube trying to sample as many exhaust sounds as I could. I narrowed it down to five great choices: Europipe, GMG, Shark Werks, Tubi Street, and Cargraphic Super Sound.

Ultimately, I went with Shark Werks for the following reasons:
* This is the only exhaust that I liked which still retains the OEM cats. For now, I want to retain my factory ECU virginity and factory cats. I still have the upgrade path available if I want to go catless/tune later on.
* It has zero drone, and I mean ZERO. Cruising on the freeway, I can hear the road/tire noise over the exhaust. As the car gets going, the tone of the exhaust starts to get deep and sporty w/ a subtle off-throttle burble. The sound is not boomy or intrusive or ricey. Since it also retains the OEM exhaust tips, this, to me, is pretty much an OEM+ exhaust. It may sound cliche, but this is how the 997.2TT should have come from the factory: like a sports car, not a vacuum.
* They're local and I have great things to say about their customer service. After the initial install of their exhaust, I heard something rattling and they invited me back in right away to take care of it. It turns out it was an issue with a stock rusty exhaust clamp, but they took care of it without any delay or BS. Outstanding customer service.

Thanks again to Shark Werks!
P.S. I was not paid or encouraged to give this review. I'm just a guy trying to help and highlight a great exhaust option for others in this community.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:06 AM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HellaHashTags
Thanks everybody for the feedback; I wanted to update you all on what I chose, why I chose it, and how I like it.

Big shout out to the guys over at Shark Werks over in Fremont CA, both for their product and their customer service.

I ended up choosing their 997.2TT Shark Werks exhaust. Like many of you have, I spent a lot of time browsing the forums and YouTube trying to sample as many exhaust sounds as I could. I narrowed it down to five great choices: Europipe, GMG, Shark Werks, Tubi Street, and Cargraphic Super Sound.

Ultimately, I went with Shark Werks for the following reasons:
* This is the only exhaust that I liked which still retains the OEM cats. For now, I want to retain my factory ECU virginity and factory cats. I still have the upgrade path available if I want to go catless/tune later on.
* It has zero drone, and I mean ZERO. Cruising on the freeway, I can hear the road/tire noise over the exhaust. As the car gets going, the tone of the exhaust starts to get deep and sporty w/ a subtle off-throttle burble. The sound is not boomy or intrusive or ricey. Since it also retains the OEM exhaust tips, this, to me, is pretty much an OEM+ exhaust. It may sound cliche, but this is how the 997.2TT should have come from the factory: like a sports car, not a vacuum.
* They're local and I have great things to say about their customer service. After the initial install of their exhaust, I heard something rattling and they invited me back in right away to take care of it. It turns out it was an issue with a stock rusty exhaust clamp, but they took care of it without any delay or BS. Outstanding customer service.

Thanks again to Shark Werks!
P.S. I was not paid or encouraged to give this review. I'm just a guy trying to help and highlight a great exhaust option for others in this community.

Congratulations on the new sound. I hope it's all you want it to be.

And now I must demand that you post some videos so we can all enjoy your new purchase!

Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 AM
Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !
Here is my turbo with GMG Headers, HJS cats and GMG exhaust. Video does it no justice.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:29 AM
Andrew Yen is an unknown quantity at this point
My porsche macan S is equipped with full iPE exhaust system. That sound is incredible! Specially in the FULL OPEN MODE. INSANE af! I strongly recommend all porsche family can try that haha, cuz every porsche deserves that kinda exhaust system.
I believe that will also fit 991.2 too!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.