997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

replacement stock turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Amit Likhyani is on a distinguished road
replacement stock turbo

I've got 50,000 miles on my 2007 997.1 Turbo. Getting it's service and got the news that one of my turbos is bad. What are my options to get a working stock turbo to replace it?

Old 12-04-2016, 05:47 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
factory replacement , used or aftermarket non vtg turbos are about all you have in choices. since the cost of a single factory turbo may be as much as a set of aftermarket turbos and a used turbo may be a short term fix i would just get a new set of turbos. call srm in vegas they are running holiday turbo specials right now

Old 12-04-2016, 09:52 AM
My shop has had great success with AMS. The owner is my friend and I do trust him. But let me also ask here: if I go AMS, am I giving up low end torque in exchange for more top end? Is that typical of any non VTG setup? What are my options if I want to increase power throughout the power band even if I'm willing to give up some top end to do it?

Old 12-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Amit Likhyani
My shop has had great success with AMS. The owner is my friend and I do trust him. But let me also ask here: if I go AMS, am I giving up low end torque in exchange for more top end? Is that typical of any non VTG setup? What are my options if I want to increase power throughout the power band even if I'm willing to give up some top end to do it?
The k24/71hta is great turbo for 600-650 hp without sacrificing. Approx 500 ft/lbs at 4000 rpm and grows from there. Great pricing and no core charges. Sean at silly rabbit motorsports can help with all your needs

Old 12-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Is it still VTG? How would it compare to the Agency Power VTG upgraded turbos? Thanks in advance

Old 12-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Banned
Is it still VTG? How would it compare to the Agency Power VTG upgraded turbos? Thanks in advance
no. there are no aftermarket vtg turbos available. champion and by design have modified vtg turbos but i believe you need good cores for the upgrades. as for agency power i wouldnt let agency power / vivid racing modify my lawnmower buts thats my opinion

srm, tial,precision, borg /warner or garret are all traditional style turbos

Old 12-04-2016, 01:16 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
you need good cores to get upgraded VTG's. That being said, you can find people going from upgraded VTG's to "conventional" turbos that will sell the upgraded VTG's for a reasonable price (3-5k a pair, no core required). That's what I'd do before plunking down 5k for a new oe turbo.

Keep in mind conventional turbo's are not quite a drop in either so figure in a boost controller, tuning, etc.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone. My shop competes in the Texas mile so for him a conventional turbo is a no brainer. I'm not looking to compete in the Texas mile so we need to have a long talk on staying with the VGT. If EVMOS or Champion will take my one good core and my other that is badly leaking oil internally, I'll probably go that route. Otherwise I guess I'm going conventional. Kind of need this thing back on the road. Tune via a Cobb access port unless someone has a suggestion that is as good for less.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:11 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
If EVMOS or Champion will take my one good core and my other that is badly leaking oil internally, I'll probably go that route.
They can't/wont. None of the big name tuners do rebuilds for VGTs, and we talked about this on here very recently.

I've seen one guy claim that "tri state turbos" was able to rebuild his VTG's but you will definitely be the guinea pig on that one. Maybe reach out to him.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-65mm-vtg.html

Old 12-11-2016, 07:39 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
I have a set available if you like.
They were 100% functional and with no issues when they were replaced with Champion's larger turbos.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7-1-turbo.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.