997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

458 vs 911TTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:16 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Domer911
sure...TTS is my car and despite the fact you aren't really having to deal with the lag on the track, it's still there, and it doesn't sound as pretty.

The rest deserves an explanation because it's not a dig at the F-car. The GT3 sounds great, the F-car sounds better. The GT3 feels more solid/substantial/durable, maybe just mind over matter. For reasons mentioned in other responses, I just wouldn't feel comfortable driving the F-car around. Costs for upkeep, the attention it grabs...just not for me.
Fair enough, thanks!

Old 12-30-2016, 11:17 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fracman5
Annual fluid service through an Indy ran about $700 including brake fluid. Costs associated with 458 roughly ran as follows (ranked highest to lowest):
1. Depreciation (you can avoid this by never selling or waiting to buy until to curve flattens out in a few years, I know myself and can't keep a car more than a few years)
2. Capital opportunity cost (figure at you own expected return rate)
3. Maintenance (average $1,500 annually with the variable being tire wear).
4. Insurance
Set aside a mental $8-$10k fund if something non-trivial breaks. The probability of this increases as item #1 decreases. I never experienced a big failure with the 458 and would not expect this to be an area of high probability.

In short, depreciation and capital opportunity are your real costs for the 458, maintenace and insurance are minor in comparison. A 15% hit on a $225k car is a lot more painful than 15% on a $70k car. Again, these are very personal viewpoints, apply as you see fit.
Thank you for taking the time to discuss. Your view points are duly noted, and make perfect sense!

Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by OhSoCal
Sound is certainly underrated.. I had an E92 M3 prior to the 997.1 turbo. I do miss the sound of the 8,300 RPM V8 screaming...especially when I first got into the 997.1 turbo when it had stock exhaust.
A GMG exhaust instantly fixed all that though - went from sounding like a sewing machine to a GT3-like snarl. Although I'm not into having 1,000 HP, the options are there with a .1 turbo.
..but neither of us would care about that with a 458
I have a Europipe and tune on my TTS and although it sounds good, it just doesn't have the V-8 wail I'm used to.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:20 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Another comparison. Glock pistol vs a custom 1911. The glock which I own and hate almost everything about is my everyday carry and what I spend my time shooting. Now a custom 1911 or Wilson combat or ed brown is the piece you bring out and pet. The 45 boom is awesome. But when the rubber meets the road the glock is my tool.

Not to be an a$$ but if you want sounds and Italian lines Porsche isn't the brand for you. Porsche is pure performance and being the best car in the category it's in. The TT happens to be the best daily driver. Sounds like you want a sexy muscle car. They call those Maserati, Ferrari, Astons, and Lamborghini. If you want to drag race in a 200k streetable car......

Not saying you can't make any car do that you can. There are 9 sec sub 1988 caravans out there. Just don't think this is the car you are looking for. Star Wars reference. Just being honest here. There is a reason the 911 is still rear engined with unmistakable lines.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:57 PM
Funny with the gun reference... I'm a Sig man myself, hate Glocks! All joking aside, I totally understand your point. I do to your point drag race and roll race, that's why I didn't buy a GT3. It's a bit more than just sound I'm looking for, it's body lines, this car has that, performance, this car has that, creature comforts, this car has that... (heated and ventilated seats) but, it doesn't check every box.

I can't afford ANY car I want like some can, but this car is so docile it's just boring at times. Without beating a dead horse speaking about my last car, it was a car you had to drive if you know what I mean? High horsepower and rwd was too fun, but I wanted a car my wife and I could both enjoy... enter our low mileage 2011 997.2 TTS!

My only intent in posting up this thread was to get a general idea as to the major shortcomings of a 458 as far as costs and such that might hender ownership? I already know what I have with our Porsche. Reliability, trustworthiness, predictability, fairly obscure, and bonus that the wife LOVES the car... My problem is it's hard to keep my attention unless the car is raw, this car isn't. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your post.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Funny with the gun reference... I'm a Sig man myself, hate Glocks! All joking aside, I totally understand your point. I do to your point drag race and roll race, that's why I didn't buy a GT3. It's a bit more than just sound I'm looking for, it's body lines, this car has that, performance, this car has that, creature comforts, this car has that... (heated and ventilated seats) but, it doesn't check every box.

I can't afford ANY car I want like some can, but this car is so docile it's just boring at times. Without beating a dead horse speaking about my last car, it was a car you had to drive if you know what I mean? High horsepower and rwd was too fun, but I wanted a car my wife and I could both enjoy... enter our low mileage 2011 997.2 TTS!

My only intent in posting up this thread was to get a general idea as to the major shortcomings of a 458 as far as costs and such that might hender ownership? I already know what I have with our Porsche. Reliability, trustworthiness, predictability, fairly obscure, and bonus that the wife LOVES the car... My problem is it's hard to keep my attention unless the car is raw, this car isn't. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your post.
It's the rear engine and turbos. They kill any chance for an exhaust. There is one 6-10k exhaust that sounds great but I'm not sure about drone. What about a cayman or gt4.

I wouldn't have the damn glock if I didn't have too. Lol

Old 12-31-2016, 08:44 PM
fracman5 will become famous soon enough
You date the 458.

You marry the 911.

NYE wisdom!

Old 12-31-2016, 09:12 PM
Funny story... I dreamed of owning a new Corvette as a lil kid. Bought a C6 Z-06 in 2013 drove the hell outta that car. I was NEVER gonna sell that car... enter 2014 C7 Corvette when no one in our area had one. I was the first kid on the block with the new toy. I was NEVER gonna sell it... built that car to the hilt, took all the fun out of it by over modifying it, took a bath on it when we sold it... enter our well talked about best option for us 997.2 TTS.

Super low mileage, all the options to make us both happy, pccbs and center lock wheels for me and heated and ventilated seats for her. PDK car to make us both happy... We're never gonna sell this car! ��

My wife says I'm CRAZY for even bring to light a conversation about a different car because we both love this car. The crazy thing is, I can hear the prancing horse dancing in my head even though I know it isn't a forever car. This is our forever car. Now I just need new intercoolers, new plenum, y-pipe, headers, more boost... see a trend here? Yes, I'm crazy. Car crazy!

Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM

Our old C7

Our TTS with new Forgeline GT1 wheels photo shoot

Another angle, same car. 2011 997.2 TTS

Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 AM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Funny story... I dreamed of owning a new Corvette as a lil kid. Bought a C6 Z-06 in 2013 drove the hell outta that car. I was NEVER gonna sell that car... enter 2014 C7 Corvette when no one in our area had one. I was the first kid on the block with the new toy. I was NEVER gonna sell it... built that car to the hilt, took all the fun out of it by over modifying it, took a bath on it when WE sold it... enter our well talked about best option for us 997.2 TTS...
Love this...your obsession was "yours" until you AND your wife took a bath on it. Nothing personal, just that it got my attention, and rings familiar. My wife has precluded me from use of the word "we" where my cars are concerned. She has relented a little on the 356--she loves that car. It's almost worthy of "we". Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Domer911
Love this...your obsession was "yours" until you AND your wife took a bath on it. Nothing personal, just that it got my attention, and rings familiar. My wife has precluded me from use of the word "we" where my cars are concerned. She has relented a little on the 356--she loves that car. It's almost worthy of "we". Happy New Year!
Wives.. what would we do without their wisdom? Haha! Happy New Year, my friend.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:55 PM
bigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nice
Wives.. what would we do without their wisdom? Haha! Happy New Year, my friend.
my buddy has an 850hp C7 for sale in houston if you wanna go back, he's dying to get rid of it.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by bigrpowr
my buddy has an 850hp C7 for sale in houston if you wanna go back, he's dying to get rid of it.
HEEEEEEELL NO!!!! I wouldn't give him .50cents for it. Been there done that. Best of luck to him though.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:27 PM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by fracman5
You date the 458.

You marry the 911.

NYE wisdom!
Exactly..

I've gone through many of these pro's and con's too guys...

debated lambos and fcars to death..

In end, I wanted something that would be on par or better in regard to performance that I could drive.

Ended up with a modded .1TT.. the rest is history.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by 997TTEQNY
Exactly..

I've gone through many of these pro's and con's too guys...

debated lambos and fcars to death..

In end, I wanted something that would be on par or better in regard to performance that I could drive.

Ended up with a modded .1TT.. the rest is history.
More than likely knowing me... and I know me. I'll end up modding this car like I do every car I own then take a bath on it and start over. Thinking intercoolers, y-pipe, plenum, and more boost early on. Then who knows? It's all in good fun. All bad *** cars we're talking about here for sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.