997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Drag Racing: Champion Or AMS intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Feel free to reach out if I can help anyone out with assistance on all of them. I have been fortunate enough to tune or be involved with builds running all of the units mentioned and even several more over the years. So I would be glad to share data, experiences and help with logs and info. There are lots of great choices and at times some better than others for a particular application/budget. That makes it tough to compare sometimes. Always willing to help out with service and pricing!

Old 01-15-2017, 11:09 PM
y996t will become famous soon enoughy996t will become famous soon enough
In the same boat I can't decide on which into cooler also to go with, but I am leaning towards the AMS intercoolers because it's complete

Old 01-16-2017, 08:04 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigrpowr
i've been doing this same back and forth for a few months , decisions decisions .. maybe you and i can get a 2 for 1 price break .
Which ones are you leaning towards?

Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
Also check out our TPC Racing Blitzkrieg 5" intercoolers. We have used these on stock cars and have seen huge power increases as well we use these on our 775hp cars and 1000hp cars. They are extremely efficient and the gains are fantastic. More info in the link below but feel free to PM more for more info as well.

TPC Racing BLITZKRIEG 5" Intercoolers

Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
My friends car has Champion Intercoolers on it and it works great.

I use AMS on mine and they work flawless as well.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Harris@TPCRacing
Also check out our TPC Racing Blitzkrieg 5" intercoolers. We have used these on stock cars and have seen huge power increases as well we use these on our 775hp cars and 1000hp cars. They are extremely efficient and the gains are fantastic. More info in the link below but feel free to PM more for more info as well.

TPC Racing BLITZKRIEG 5" Intercoolers
Thanks, I'll check those out.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
My friends car has Champion Intercoolers on it and it works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6sYrRDEm1E

I use AMS on mine and they work flawless as well.
That's a fast car! Wow.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by y996t
In the same boat I can't decide on which into cooler also to go with, but I am leaning towards the AMS intercoolers because it's complete
If you look at their website, those pics are even nice! Looks like they have a very very nice kit, and their coolers are the largest ones from what I can tell. Great reviews on those too. Only drawback I can see is if you decide to use a different Y-Pipe and plenum such as an IPD or whatever, then you're kinda wasting parts with a complete kit.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:56 AM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
I personally run the Champion coolers on my 997.2TTS and have had stellar performance from them....even on the hottest of days. Also the fit and finish is second to none. With that being said, I don't think you'd be going wrong with AMS , SRM, or Champion....all are very reputable.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by TighTT
I personally run the Champion coolers on my 997.2TTS and have had stellar performance from them....even on the hottest of days. Also the fit and finish is second to none. With that being said, I don't think you'd be going wrong with AMS , SRM, or Champion....all are very reputable.
Thank you for your feedback, good info!

Old 01-19-2017, 03:36 PM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
I know friends who run Champion with great results

I am running do88 Big Pack ICs with Ypipe and Turbo inlet tubes.

but honestly, for drag racing, why not try a methanol injection kit with an exhaust and a good tune ti get the best out of it... might be your best bang for the buck

I am using HFS4 from Aquamist and I am pleased with it.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:58 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 3llooi
I know friends who run Champion with great results

I am running do88 Big Pack ICs with Ypipe and Turbo inlet tubes.

but honestly, for drag racing, why not try a methanol injection kit with an exhaust and a good tune ti get the best out of it... might be your best bang for the buck

I am using HFS4 from Aquamist and I am pleased with it.
This is probably the best advice of the thread....particularly if you can get an aggressive tune pushing the limits of the stock fuel system. I agree don't need intercoolers for a short 1/4 mile run if you have meth for cooling and a good exhaust for power/EGT suppression.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:41 AM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
This is probably the best advice of the thread....particularly if you can get an aggressive tune pushing the limits of the stock fuel system. I agree don't need intercoolers for a short 1/4 mile run if you have meth for cooling and a good exhaust for power/EGT suppression.
yep cooling is unparalleled with meth
​​​meth
check my IAT It was 22deg C outside.
Lowest wad 3deg C as you can see.

With seconds of meth spray the IAT temp dropped from 46deg C to 6deg C.

You can make the meth inject more and earlier for your drag runs. Just find a tuner who knows how to use it... and a system that has fail safe

Old 01-20-2017, 06:51 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Can be pretty interesting if you have the fueling for it. I appreciate you posting data.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
Can be pretty interesting if you have the fueling for it. I appreciate you posting data.
Hey bro

What do you need to know?

Or my English isn't helping me lool

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.