997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Drag Racing: Champion Or AMS intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:53 PM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rix
I actually just picked up a set of Protomotive intercoolers for my car. I looked at AMS, but the carbon fiber ducting is incompatible with my intake setup, and I'm going to use a Y-pipe with blow off valve mounts so the package wasn't that complete for me.

If I were running a VTG based car I would buy the AMS and call it a day. Nothing against Champion, but the AMS package is great.
Thanks for the post!

Old 01-23-2017, 03:10 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rix
I actually just picked up a set of Protomotive intercoolers for my car. I looked at AMS, but the carbon fiber ducting is incompatible with my intake setup, and I'm going to use a Y-pipe with blow off valve mounts so the package wasn't that complete for me.

If I were running a VTG based car I would buy the AMS and call it a day. Nothing against Champion, but the AMS package is great.
I did the blow off this way ... Found a reducer that works from the jdm crowd ..

Plus using Do88 inlets with the factory box and AMS carbon shrouds we found the cooling/heating curve to be much better than without shrouds and fendrwells, even with methanol it gained heat faster and cooled slower ....

Just a thought...

Cheers

Old 01-23-2017, 08:23 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by y996t
Oh ok what tune are you running, I was with protomotive on my 996 turbo but I'm not sure if I should go back with Protomotive or cob and also the injectors are from my GTR the ID 1000cc so later I when I upgrade my turbos I will do the bigger injectors
I'm running Cobb with Sam By Design tune. Its not the most aggressive tune out there but the car ran flawless and he did tweak as much as I wanted. He also knows when to cut you off as he did me lol. I wanted to keep turning it up but he said no and I can appreciate that. If you want something more aggressive I can float some names to you. I have a collection of datalogs from many cars, setups & tuners so I have been able to dissect a lot of data .

And to be clear on the injector in case others are thinking of injectors. You will hit 680-700whp on E70-E85 with the 1kcc but it will be at a high duty cycle by 6.5-7krpm. Technically yes you have enough fuel but from an engineer's stand point I would spec them bigger to run at a lower duty cycle. Using the 1300cc is not to gain more power, its to run them at a better operating point. Soon after 700whp you will run into other limits, the pumps themselves, your clutch (if you have a Sachs 2.5 type for example), your rods if you want to run full torque at mid engine speeds etc etc. Obviously there are many recipes out there, that's just my take.

Last edited by M3 Maestro; 01-23-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 PM
y996t will become famous soon enoughy996t will become famous soon enough
Who has the best deal on the AMS intercoolers kit

Old 01-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers M3! can';t wait to dial you in on the new snails!

AMS in stock among others here guys. After we see what suits each set up and budget best I am always ready to bundle the best price and support that I can. That includes tuning! Over the years we have MANY under our belt with just about every configuration

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 01-23-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:23 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Last year when I shopped around Sam had the best deal, I would start there.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 PM
bigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nicebigrpowr is just really nice
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Which ones are you leaning towards?
honetly i was thinking GT2RS or SRM . what are you thinking ?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:40 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Best advice is buy from Sam. The guy literally doesn't sleep, and parts show up FAST. He's got it figured out, and he'll actually sabotage his own sale if he doesn't think you're buying the right part. One of the best guys in this market. I buy everything I possibly can from him. Voting with your wallet, it's important.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Thanks for the post!
People thought I pulled off the longest injector install in history! I'm only just getting started! LOL

Old 01-24-2017, 02:44 AM
rix
That's an interesting solution. I don't think we have the option to buy the best solution right now truth be told. Steve Ott @ Driversource is in charge of my project right now, I feel like I am in good hands.

I did the new 3D printed protomotive fenderwell intakes and intercoolers. Going to do the BOVs on the Y-pipe because I want to see them. Closer to the throttle body the better anyway, from a reversion perspective.

I'd like to revisit the intake situation, and do air/water intercoolers but the vendor I was working on the Air/Water with totally dropped the ball. Part of my historically long build cycle. In the mean time I will continue to slum it in my CTS-V Wagon. I'm blessed to have a home office consultancy business, just crossed 15,000 miles the other day. I'm patient .

Originally Posted by TT.BRN
I did the blow off this way ... Found a reducer that works from the jdm crowd ..

Plus using Do88 inlets with the factory box and AMS carbon shrouds we found the cooling/heating curve to be much better than without shrouds and fendrwells, even with methanol it gained heat faster and cooled slower ....

Just a thought...

Cheers

Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigrpowr
honetly i was thinking GT2RS or SRM . what are you thinking ?
I'm honestly leaning toward the AMS coolers. They just look topnotch!

Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Here's a picture of my new AMS intercoolers next to my Evoms intercoolers. HUUUUGE difference in temperature stability.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:45 AM
y996t will become famous soon enoughy996t will become famous soon enough
Let's get a group buy for the AMS intercoolers

Old 01-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Let's get a group buy for the AMS intercoolers
I'd be in on that! Great idea... Maybe Sam will revisit this thread. 😬

Old 01-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I'm always down guys! And the main thing with me is you'll never have to feel like you only have one option. Even if it's my own option, like a couple guys mentioned I'll make sure you get what's right through my various partnerships.

And thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm very fortunate to be successful doing what I love and doing it my way. None of my bosses 20 years ago could ever understand it but I'm making it work. In large part it's thanks to this community. Always willing to give back!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.