997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Gearbox upgrade

Old 02-25-2017, 01:06 PM
TwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud of
1- modify baskets to put more clutch discs and friction discs.
2- then install more clutch discs.
3- get a valve body which has higher pressures and shifts faster
4- add a B&M deeper transmission oil pan, add more oil, run cooler
5- change line pressure via tcu re-mapping.
6- change accumulator pressure via tcu re-mapping.

7- input shaft made of 300 M (for drag racing necessary), I have this on my car. Allows the input shaft to turn around itself by 18 % and prevents breaking.
8- transbrake system (for drag racing necessary), I got this on my car.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:11 AM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
Great information, thanks for posting this. I too have a Proto Twin disk clutch with the 764 pressure plate. I have had a few brisk runs, so far it seems very good. I am sure Todd will get you taken care of.

Originally Posted by K24F
News,
I have to say I adjusted myself my twin clutch as it was not bolted by Protomotive but here in France.
As my goal was to have a no slipping clutch I voluntary let it drag a very little bit thinking it will break in, instead of letting a clearance.
At the beginning ok it was dragging a little and effectively broke in and I didn't feel it anymore.
But before this GTR came I never ran very fast because winter and not a lot of fast cars to play here.
I remember during the run the faster I run the harder was the shifting.
I shared with Todd and techs and finally believe yes my clutch was still dragging.
In a few days the gearbox will be out, Todd send me a new clutch preset by him and I hope only the synchros went, I will share.

Ps: and clever advice Rob, out of clutch brand.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:38 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Speeders,
I ran the car to my techs yesterday, the gearbox will be out next week.

Btw: I loaded the pumpfile tune and and set 1,25Bar boost, in despite the car is still fast (100-200 and 60-130 in 5,2'/6.0') it is dramatically ennoying , no torque, no brutal, no rage, the shadow of itself!
It makes me thinking the nonVTG turbos are only shining above 1,5Bar, so with race fuel or E85, if someone wants to run pumpgas only he would better keep up with vtgs imho.

Last edited by K24F; 03-12-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:57 PM
somefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of light
I don't love to convince ppg that they need o make a gear set for us.

I'd love a straight 1-2-3 with helical 4-5-6 with dogs instead of synchros

Old 03-12-2017, 11:28 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K24F
Hi Speeders,
I ran the car to my techs yesterday, the gearbox will be out next week.

Btw: I loaded the pumpfile tune and and set 1,25Bar boost, in despite the car is still fast (100-200 and 60-130 in 5,2'/6.0') it is dramatically ennoying , no torque, no brutal, no rage, the shadow of itself!
It makes me thinking the nonVTG turbos are only shining above 1,5Bar, so with race fuel or E85, if someone wants to run pumpgas only he would better keep up with vtgs imho.
To make you feel better, NO VTG'S are not better then non vtg's like your set up.... ESPECIALLY on pump! I have a full bolt on car with Proto's 63.5's VTG'S and run 5.9-6.1 60-130 on E85, as you are doing it on straight pump! VTG hate pump because of the heat it makes when pushed ,as I run a whole SECOND slower on 94 octane pump 6.8-7.1!! Your 6.0 on pump verses 7.0 on a VTG on pump is like 6-8 cars worth of walking...LOL!!

Hope everything gets worked out for you!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by somefoo1
I don't love to convince ppg that they need o make a gear set for us.

I'd love a straight 1-2-3 with helical 4-5-6 with dogs instead of synchros
Hi there , I would like to ask you if u do not mind
ftom where you bought the parts ??
i may replace the sychros and get the dogs !

Last edited by ysfg35; 03-13-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:34 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
To make you feel better, NO VTG'S are not better then non vtg's like your set up.... ESPECIALLY on pump! I have a full bolt on car with Proto's 63.5's VTG'S and run 5.9-6.1 60-130 on E85, as you are doing it on straight pump! VTG hate pump because of the heat it makes when pushed ,as I run a whole SECOND slower on 94 octane pump 6.8-7.1!! Your 6.0 on pump verses 7.0 on a VTG on pump is like 6-8 cars worth of walking...LOL!!

Hope everything gets worked out for you!
Yes, I know that (keep in mind my car is a fully built 3,8 with cams etc...) cause I had the vtg upgrade before.
The car is still fast, no issue with that, but the power delivery is flat, and so the feeling at driving; my tests showed me my turbos wake up above 1,45Bar.
Thank you btw!

Old 03-31-2017, 03:07 PM
News:
The gearbox is now opened and the clutch is not really guilty, the mainshaft bearing went.
the mainshaft took excessive clearance and almost all the pignons are dead and seem like overheated by friction (of course synchros are destroyed)...

Ordering a whole oem gearbox by Porsche in exchange of mine will be cheaper vs rebuilding it, but it will still be stock...

I truly don't know what is the way to go?
Does somebody know when Guards is ready with upgraded 997TT parts?

Old 03-31-2017, 04:33 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Get a gt2 box.....

Old 03-31-2017, 08:54 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
How about building a 996tt gearbox ...

Old 03-31-2017, 10:26 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
I bet if people here got serious and ordered 10 sets of stronger gears albins or ppg would make a run. Will be expensive but they would make em.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by LQQK
Get a gt2 box.....
Yes, but 2WD, and the traction is already a problem with 4WD...

Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by TT.BRN
How about building a 996tt gearbox ...
Why not? But a whole one rebuilt by B. Rader costs >25000$ used gbox included, outch!
(+ shipping)

Old 04-01-2017, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by pdxm5
I bet if people here got serious and ordered 10 sets of stronger gears albins or ppg would make a run. Will be expensive but they would make em.
Yes I would prefer rebuild a 997 gbox, but nothing seems available for now.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
B. Rader built gt2 and Protomotive twin disk, holds over 1200whp just fine.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.