997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Advice on best way to launch manual turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Advice on best way to launch manual turbo

Hey guys, new to the forum as I just recently purchased a gently used 2007 Full Techart package turbo. It has a custom tune in it by Mitch McKee out of Cobb Tuning putting out about 675hp and 700tq, tuned mainly for street driving. Has upgraded clutch, exhaust and suspension. It's currently under the knife with engine dropped as I only had it for 2 days and noticed coolant leaking under. They dropped the engine to figure out where it was coming from. Good news, the previous owner already had the coolant pipes pinned and welded and replaced plastic coolant pipes with Sharkwerk metal ones. Bad news is that whoever put the engine together didn't tighten or torque the bolts properly on the area where the oil cooler sits on top of the engine. So as you can imagine coolant was leaking out of that flange. Talk about frustration and the PPI didn't pick this up!!

Anyway to my original question. It's been a long time since I've driven a manual. Is there a recommendation on the best way to launch these to get the best 0-60 times. I've got a custom tune but not sure if these tunes have any sort of built in launch control for manual transmissions that allow you to build boost while revving.

Appreciate your advice, just nervous and don't want to tear anything up by experimenting the wrong way.

Thanks. By the way attaching a picture of the new car.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome aboard ...to be honest there is no right way to launch the turbo as it depends on your driving style....1st learn how to shift into 2nd since it comes up quick and your going to learn that it's better to pay attention to how long it takes to hit redline after boost kicks in...I usually count 1-2 shift...as for launching best times come from revving motor and finding sweet spot....rev rev rev...when rpms go up.........go....it takes some practice ...

Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
you pick that up in Medina, OH? I recall seeing that at the dealer there - nice looking ride.

I have similar mods perhaps a bit less power in my car.

Launching on the street or the strip?

I have been messing with launches at the strip recently and i seem to get pretty decent results at 3200 rpm or so... 3500-4000 rpm and i was getting a bit too much wheel hop, it's really just a trial and error thing i'd say as you learn your car.

be careful, with a lowered car (as yours appears to be) and a really hard launch, you are more susceptible to breaking an axle from what i have read while researching the same question. if you aren't running slicks or anything, you should be ok, but again, just be cognizant.

Last edited by Kricci; 02-22-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Medina Collection? I noticed he doesn't post here anymore

Old 02-23-2017, 04:19 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Hey guys, thanks for the quick feedback! Yes, I got this from Arthur at Medina Collection. I live down in Columbus, OH; so not far from where he is outside of Akron. I guess I'll play around with the launch and RPMs to see where the right spot is. It'll take some time and practice! It's been 12 years since driving a manual and this one isn't the easiest to jump straight back into.
My daily driver is a full stage 3 2014 Audi S6. You could say I've turned it into a RS6. Upgraded turbos, intercooler, downpipes, etc. puts down close to 680hp and over 730tq. Power delivery comes on early with the twin turbos and pulls throughout. Basically a comfortable rocket ship. Was wanting the Porsche for weekend/track car and something with more raw appeal and potential longer term investment. Here's a pick of the Audi.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:20 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Porsche turbos are not known for coming out of the hole well.

For the 996 turbo,.. the way you had to launch them was to rev them up to about 5k,.. then pretty much side-step the clutch pedal and break all 4 tires loose. Any other method meant either lots of clutch wear, or bogging the engine and not hitting 60 until 5-6 seconds had passed.

My cousin had a manual '03 Turbo with the X-50 package,.. and he managed to match and even beat the claimed 3.6 sec 0-60 time from the magazines doing that. You really have to grab a set though. And 3 out of 4 times he'd still bog it and get left for dead by my friend in his near stock Mazda RX7.

Haven't had any advice on the 997's though,.. and I'd really like to know. My old Subaru would have put a dozen car lengths on my 997 by 60. I could hit 60 in 3.1 - 3.2 sec in that car on the street,.. on 235 all season tires.

I guess I just need to practice more. A Guard LSD is going in my car as we speak. Really don't want to beat on my car,.. but I also don't want to be last across the intersection if a 20 Y.O. challenges me in a Subaru station wagon.

Anyone figured it out yet?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 AM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
OP,

Beautiful car.. and welcome.

I too cant be of much advice regarding launching. I never launch my car from a dig, as its lowered, modded and I dont feel like breaking stuff.

Any hard pulls I always do from a roll, and tend to shift somewhat slower between the gears with this car. Even doing that causes tons of wheel spin at times.

We look to be putting up around the same numbers. Get some seat time and allow yourself to find the comfort zone. These cars can get on the edge and very quick.

Best of luck with it.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Rez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond repute
rev it aggressively to 4-4500 rpm and dump the clutch like you hate the car.

Launches like a mother ****er.

Car probably hates me for it.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rez90
rev it aggressively to 4-4500 rpm and dump the clutch like you hate the car.

Launches like a mother ****er.

Car probably hates me for it.

Ok,.. sounds a lot like the Subaru and 996 launches. Just a bit lower rpm.

Tricky with AWD turbo cars. If you don't break the wheels loose for the first 20 feet,.. you bog it,.. then the turbos spool down and you sit there with no boost, watching some F150 go rolling by you.

Get it right though, and there's nothing that's going to stay with you. And it feels terrific too. Even after 9 years of my Subaru,.. I would still get the shakes from the adrenaline any time I did that. I can't imagine it's the same after a few months in an auto or a PDK (as terrific as those cars in other ways).

Old 02-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
practice. here is one doing 0-60 in 2.x on the street...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Rez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond reputeRez90 has a reputation beyond repute
Joe and Ryan from AIM performance built that car. Thing is nasty.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
Wow. PROPER !

I have yet to see a RWD street car do anything close to that on the street (At the strip with a burn-out is a different story of course).

Raced many 800 - 1,000 WHP RWD cars with huge drag-radials on the back,.. and always smoked them 0-80 ish (using an AWD car with less than 400 WHP)

If I can get this 997.1 launch figured out,... it's going to be a bad summer for the bro's in my town.

Thanks for the extra motivation. I've got a Guard LSD going in,.. and just switched to better tires (from Bridgestone S04's to RE-71R's).

Old 02-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I like the term launch it like you hate it. Going to try that!
What is a Guard LSD and what does it do?

Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dguth
Thanks for all the feedback. I like the term launch it like you hate it. Going to try that!
What is a Guard LSD and what does it do?
Guard is the best limited slip you can get for a 911

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 AM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by prodigymb

https://youtu.be/P6sYrRDEm1E
Really nice driving man!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.