997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The Process Has Started - The Official "EVOlution of a 997TT" Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 PM
sy996tt will become famous soon enoughsy996tt will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Just ask Mark or Scott...I hate these kind of subjective comparisons as I think Todd has one of the best programs out there..and I'll bet the lag is non-existent.
i rode in Joes gt2, when it was a stage 4.. it had lag compared to his gt700... i wouldve probably rated it a 5.5 .. it was damn fast tho.. especially when beating that bike...

Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Todd @ EVO
Garrett has the ecu - I sent him one as soon as I got my hands on a spare. We have been working on the ECU together. Garrett will be in AZ this week and we will be flashing my car. I have compiled more data and learned more about this car in terms of the ECU in the past month than I ever wanted to. This ecu is crazy. It is looking at so many inputs from various sensors and is making so many corrections on a regular basis. It has taken some time to understand and recognize all that it is controlling and all that it is relying on to run the engine.

I actually had a strangers car on the dyno today It made decent power as compared to the 996TT. Our consistent runs were in the 375 HP range and 390 TQ at all 4 wheels. I tested this car on a Mustang 500SE AWD dyno. The correction factor is about 25%. We were able to test overboost as well which made about the same peak HP and TQ but picked up about 20 HP / TQ in the midrange. I will post photos and details later.
Todd, so was that corrected or uncorrected numbers, and do you believe in any sort of correction factors for dynoing, just curious?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Todd, so was that corrected or uncorrected numbers, and do you believe in any sort of correction factors for dynoing, just curious?
The numbers were corrected. We have to have a correction factor. The temps were 100 degrees. The difference for the corrected vs uncorrected was about 15 hp.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 08-03-2006, 05:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Is it hot in Arizona? James came back at least 10 pounds lighter.....

Old 08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
The numbers were corrected. We have to have a correction factor. The temps were 100 degrees. The difference for the corrected vs uncorrected was about 15 hp.
Todd,
Is the Turbo back together?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
Todd,
Is the Turbo back together?
Today it is.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:22 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Today it is.
Flash it! Fred was here today and we coulda....

Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Fanman is on a distinguished road
That seems about right 375 AWHP with 25% correction factor is about 500 hp at the crank. Looking at the various test results that seems to be in line. Disappointing that they have basically maxed out the turbos from the factory. Was wishing some room to play with ala the K24's.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:20 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Ahh i see, and people were giving me shlt also about a correction facotr with my dyno, which was also in 95-100 degree's in the facility on a Mustang dyno!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fanman
That seems about right 375 AWHP with 25% correction factor is about 500 hp at the crank. Looking at the various test results that seems to be in line. Disappointing that they have basically maxed out the turbos from the factory. Was wishing some room to play with ala the K24's.
Hey Fred!

Cars with overboost seem to have the same peak power and more torque at lower RPM so maxed out turbos make sense. Maxing out the turbos from the factory is the best way to get the lowest lag possible. But leaves us foolish moders scratching our heads

Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ari
Hey Fred!

Cars with overboost seem to have the same peak power and more torque at lower RPM so maxed out turbos make sense. Maxing out the turbos from the factory is the best way to get the lowest lag possible. But leaves us foolish moders scratching our heads
True. We did test overboost and the peak numbers were the same. There was more power and TQ in the midrange. There will be power to be made with these turbos, dont worry . The big trick will be to make the power safely and for us living out west, is making safe power with our ****ty 91-octane fuel. We were testing fuels and their affect on the 997TT all this week. There is a major performance gain with the stock ECU just by adding better fuel. Adding better fuel increased Timing and performance significantly. The programming needs some help in order to correct this and allow us 91-octane users power without sacrifice. We will get this achieved in the next couple of weeks.

Part of our R&D process is to test these different items prior to modifying the program. We could have just starting tuning the ecu right away, however driving the car on a regular basis with the PIWIS has proven itself to be invaluable especially since we live in the desert and it is HOT. I am 100% convinced at this point that if this car gets tuned on US 93 octane or European 98 RON octane fuel that the performance gains achieved on these fuels will be severely affected if not eliminated entirely if installed on a car that can only get 91-octane. I will go into this more in detail once we make more progress with the 91 octane tuning. Additionally, we will be offering a 91 octane safe file as well as a 93-octane file and a race gas file to meet the needs of all of our customers.

We have been working on some turbo upgrades as well. We received information and specifications of the VTG turbos long before the car was released. This data gave us a head start on some turbo upgrades that we kept under wraps. Well, here is a first look on what we have been working on for the past 4 months. (See pic below)

I will post a picture later today

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 08-06-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:15 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Todd,
Is it going to be in good enough condition for a few runs at Firebird friday night?

Old 08-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
Todd,
Is it going to be in good enough condition for a few runs at Firebird friday night?
It will be there. Prob with a few new goodies. See you there

Old 08-05-2006, 01:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
True. We did test overboost and the peak numbers were the same. There was more power and TQ in the midrange. There will be power to be made with these turbos, dont worry . The big trick will be to make the power safely and for us living out west, is making safe power with our ****ty 91-octane fuel. We were testing fuels and their affect on the 997TT all this week. There is a major performance gain with the stock ECU just by adding better fuel. Adding better fuel increased Timing and performance significantly. The programming needs some help in order to correct this and allow us 91-octane users power without sacrifice. We will get this achieved in the next couple of weeks.

Part of our R&D process is to test these different items prior to modifying the program. We could have just starting tuning the ecu right away, however driving the car on a regular basis with the PIWIS has proven itself to be invaluable especially since we live in the desert and it is HOT. I am 100% convinced at this point that if this car gets tuned on US 93 octane or European 98 RON octane fuel that the performance gains achieved on these fuels will be severely affected if not eliminated entirely if installed on a car that can only get 91-octane. I will go into this more in detail once we make more progress with the 91 octane tuning. Additionally, we will be offering a 91 octane safe file as well as a 93-octane file and a race gas file to meet the needs of all of our customers.

We have been working on some turbo upgrades as well. We received information and specifications of the VTG turbos long before the car was released. This data gave us a head start on some turbo upgrades that we kept under wraps. Well, here is a first look on what we have been working on for the past 4 months. (See pic below)
Here is a picture of the work in progress. There is hope for an upgraded VTG turbo soon. This is a CNC machined billet compressor wheel that will end up in a set of test VGT turbos we will be testing. It was CAD designed and machined from a solid block of aluminum on a 5-axis CNC machine. We can make changes to the wheel to create a perfect upgrade depending on power level. We have also been looking at a custom machined turbine wheel and shaft as well. This is a little more involved but is someting we can and will do if needed.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 08-06-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:06 AM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
Here is a picture of the work in progress. There is hope for an upgraded VGT turbo soon. This is a CNC machined billet compressor wheel that will end up in a set of test VGT turbos we will be testing. It was CAD designed and machined from a solid block of aluminum on a 5-axis CNC machine. We can make changes to the wheel to create a perfect upgrade depending on power level. We have also been looking at a custom machined turbine wheel and shaft as well. This is a little more involved but is someting we can and will do if needed.
I believe I speak for everyone when I say...

SWEEEEET

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Process Has Started - The Official "EVOlution of a 997TT" Thread