Sport Chrono Package Plus - 6speedonline.com Forums

Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 997
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

997 Current model of the 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Discussion.
Sponsored By HRE Wheels

Sport Chrono Package Plus

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2007, 04:39 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 64
Rep Power: 10
spyderandrew is on a distinguished road
Sport Chrono Package Plus

what does Sport Chrono Package Plus do to the car compare with the car without this package?? and can this be add on ??? thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 AM
RonCT's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 1,002
Rep Power: 87
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Check the 500 threads on this subject for more detail - but in general there are two camps. Those that understand SC does nothing for the performance of the car, and those that like the features (wart on the dash, hard-to-use timing function, and some sort of memory functions for power seats). No, it can't be added (not that anyone without it would want to anyway).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 AM
WaltB's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 456
Rep Power: 45
WaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant futureWaltB has a brilliant future
Don't forget it's also how I turn my PSE on and off.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 AM
RonCT's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 1,002
Rep Power: 87
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't there a PSE button for that? I've read here so many times that people have to press all sorts of buttons when they have such options - Sport for SC, then Un-sport to put PASM back to normal... Very confusing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,199
Rep Power: 60
spyder997s is just really nicespyder997s is just really nicespyder997s is just really nicespyder997s is just really nicespyder997s is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCT View Post
Check the 500 threads on this subject for more detail - but in general there are two camps. Those that understand SC does nothing for the performance of the car, and those that like the features (wart on the dash, hard-to-use timing function, and some sort of memory functions for power seats). No, it can't be added (not that anyone without it would want to anyway).
^^^^ +1.

Recently during Walter Rohl's latest interviews regarding his Nurburgring laptimes with the GT2 and Turbo, he mentioned that he had Sport Chrono and PASM turned off, in order to achieve his best times.

When Porsche first released the Carrera and Carrera S, they mentioned that the Sport Chrono/PASM button would cut seconds off the clock during their laps. They then never validated, and neither did Sport Auto (although there are several lap times for the Carrera S ranging from 7:59 to 8:05).

The best thing you could do is test it out and see if you like it. I like mine because it does give the car the appearance that it's more eager to rev, and is a nice gimick to show to passengers in the car Either way, if you are in the US, you will get PASM standard since Porsche doesn't offer us the -20mm suspension with Limited slip diff like in other parts of the world.

If you get it, you won't regret it since you can always ignore the button. The only regret I have with ordering my car was that I didn't order the adaptive sport seats! Those really make a difference, IMHO.
__________________
-Charles
2007 Black/Black Aston Martin V8 Vantage AMV8 Pics
2005 Black/Sand Beige Cayenne Turbo CTT Pics
SOLD - 2006 Black/Black 997S 997S Pics
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,502
Rep Power: 483
jhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder997s View Post
^^^^ +1.

Recently during Walter Rohl's latest interviews regarding his Nurburgring laptimes with the GT2 and Turbo, he mentioned that he had Sport Chrono and PASM turned off, in order to achieve his best times.

When Porsche first released the Carrera and Carrera S, they mentioned that the Sport Chrono/PASM button would cut seconds off the clock during their laps. They then never validated, and neither did Sport Auto (although there are several lap times for the Carrera S ranging from 7:59 to 8:05).

The best thing you could do is test it out and see if you like it. I like mine because it does give the car the appearance that it's more eager to rev, and is a nice gimick to show to passengers in the car Either way, if you are in the US, you will get PASM standard since Porsche doesn't offer us the -20mm suspension with Limited slip diff like in other parts of the world.

If you get it, you won't regret it since you can always ignore the button. The only regret I have with ordering my car was that I didn't order the adaptive sport seats! Those really make a difference, IMHO.
Walter had Sport mode off not Sport Chrono off. You can order the car with Sport Chrono, don't believe it can be added after that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Nugget's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Austin Texas USA
Posts: 101
Rep Power: 12
Nugget is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Nugget Send a message via AIM to Nugget
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrennan View Post
Walter had Sport mode off not Sport Chrono off.
Isn't that the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder997s View Post
If you get it, you won't regret it since you can always ignore the button.
Not entirely true. If you have PSE and Sport Chrono there is no way to operate the two independently. You can't "turn on" the PSE exhaust sound without also turning on the the "sport mode" throttle map. I don't care for the twitchy throttle map and I had to hack my PSE to be always on, otherwise I'd never get to hear it. A PSE car without Sport Chrono will have a button just for the PSE so that it can be controlled by itself.

I have SC in my car and I certainly wouldn't buy it again. Total waste, imho. The money spent on on the SC would have paid for three or four track days.
__________________
'07 GT3 RS

Last edited by Nugget; 12-29-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,502
Rep Power: 483
jhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=Nugget;1563489]Isn't that the same thing? No - it's called Sport mode. Sport Chono is the option package that includes the "wart", sport mode, individual memory options and other stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM
rah79's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NoVa
Posts: 527
Rep Power: 29
rah79 is on a distinguished road
[quote=jhbrennan;1563514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Isn't that the same thing? No - it's called Sport mode. Sport Chono is the option package that includes the "wart", sport mode, individual memory options and other stuff.

Agree....I love the sports chrono package....best part is the Sport mode where it changes the throttle reponse time and feel. I see we have a few people who don't care for it but I use it with it ON and I notice a big difference in driving experience.

Just my .03 cents
__________________
2006 911 C2S black/black, tip, sport chrono, power/heated seats, Bose, NAV, 19" HRE 893R w/BP 960AS PP, 3M CS tint, AWE headers, hi-flow cats, exhaust, Eibach springs, softronic ECU, IPD plenum, VS clear bra, RemoteKey, silver hood crest, red tow hook, red 911S emblem

"Jus dial 911"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 AM
nyseal's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: queens ny
Posts: 579
Rep Power: 33
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
Perfectionshop
i personally like my sports chrono plus .........i know it only feels faster but i like, and as for the wart on the dash i think it looks pretty cool.
__________________
06 997 c4s evo sc ,full tech art kit,type 2 rear wing ,tech art wheels,tech art springs,full fabspeed exhaust ,plenum ,evo front and rear strut braces,dension ipod interface,painted center console
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Rivan's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: OC, CA, USA
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 9
Rivan is on a distinguished road
You also get a sport mode for PSM in the Sport Chrono Package Plus which could be useful for some people. Other than program the auto lock feature by myself, I don't use all other features much. I use the wart and PSM lap diagram display only when my passenger ask me about the wart. I personally like the wart display on the console. I agree with Nugget the downside is no separate button for PSE.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 140
Rep Power: 13
Vegasguy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderandrew View Post
what does Sport Chrono Package Plus do to the car compare with the car without this package?? and can this be add on ??? thanks.
As I see it, the only real use for the Sport Chrono Package is the "Individual Memory" of the keys, and thats only if you have more than one driver. Each person's key (up to three keys) stores that persons preferences: air conditioning, seat position, DRL's, etc. The other technical stuff is useless (IMO) most of the time. Besides, the car has a Sport mode without the $960 option. I wouldn't buy it again (my wife rarely drives the car).

Last edited by Vegasguy; 12-29-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,502
Rep Power: 483
jhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond reputejhbrennan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasguy View Post
As I see it, the only real use for the Sport Chrono Package is the "Individual Memory" of the keys, and thats only if you have more than one driver. Each person's key (up to three keys) stores that persons preferences: air conditioning, seat position, DRL's, etc. The other technical stuff is useless (IMO) most of the time. Besides, the car has a Sport mode without the $960 option. I wouldn't buy it again (my wife rarely drives the car).
With individual memory you can also set some other features using the PCM - can't remember them all but you can turn on DRL and change the time on how long the headlamps stay on after exiting, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
C4S C4S is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 0
C4S is on a distinguished road
Sport Chrono Plus is Great

For 920 bucks You get

1. Better throttle response...check the sales brochure. It is remapped to give more aggressive feel to pedal. You really notice it.

2. You can set a lot of features like daytime running lights, auto locking doors, about 5-6 in all.

3. PASM goes on when you hit the sport button at the same time. So you get remapped thottle with PSAM together. Car feels even better on a smooth twisty road!!!

4. Ugly lap timer.

I love the feature!!!!

You can't add it later.

My three cents.

2007 C4S
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 PM
ak996TT's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 181
Rep Power: 15
ak996TT is on a distinguished road
yes, I concur
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
911, 997s, carrera, chrono, crono, difference, exhaust, make, packaga, package, pcm, porsche, sport, sports, wout


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Secure Backup