997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Loosing my mind in the infant car seat quest!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
I keep seeing these inexpensive seats ($39.99 - $75) vs. the Porsche seat at ~$5-600. Now we all know the Porsche seat is horribly overpriced, but it costs $3-400 for a Britax infant or toddler seat. Are they vastly overpriced too? Most of the Babies-R-Us seats are in the $2-400 range. I'm just a little nervous about trusting a $40 seat when the average is so much higher elsewhere.

No amount of money is too much to protect this precious cargo, but waste is waste.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM
nr_carrera is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by synergy
If the top strap clamps onto the bracket below the rear window glass then the seat will be a bit more secure. I believe you need to cut the carpet, my friend had this done at the dealer and it may be worth looking into.
The carpet was already precut. All you have to do is cut it along the cut line (both sides). See page 62 Carrera Owner's manual.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
thanks

OK just took the plunge, order this one, gotta start someplace.... cute kid!

and thanks for the reply!

Guys - I have a Graco ComfortSport and it works fine in the back of the 997. I believe I paid like $75 for it at Babies R Us. Because it is seat-belt mounted (997 doesnt have the metal seat hooks) there is some slight play as any car w/o the metal hooks. See below picture....plenty of room. My daughter is 15 months and 22 lbs.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nr_carrera
The carpet was already precut. All you have to do is cut it along the cut line (both sides). See page 62 Carrera Owner's manual.
Hey thanks - this will keep the Graco in place...thanks for the info!

Something else worth noting, Babies R Us sells this pillow thing that goes behind the babies head which keeps them a bit more snug in this car seat because it is a bit larger (width wise) than our Britax. We also bought the shoulder pads which also helped.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is an unknown quantity at this point
Porsche seat is a BRITAX

Guys i beleive the porsche seat is made by Britax IT is very similar to the PARKWAY Booster OR Monarch Booster the monarch is available as a black and red called the monarch racer perfect for your 997 . I did go to a specialty baby store in LA and it seemed to fit i did not have my 5 yr old with me but the seat did fit and seemed to be sturdy .
Good luck to all . But seriously a $40-75 seat is not good enough for my daughter if i am driving a $100k + car .

Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is an unknown quantity at this point
more info :

One of the few US made car seats approved for use in Canada!

The Britax Parkway belt-positioning booster provides True Side Impact Protection for advanced protection in side impact collisions. The Parkway features a one-hand, quick-adjust headrest and height positioning for proper fit, as well as two-position recline, color-coded belt guides, and convenient drink and snack holders.
The Britax Parkway is designed for children weighing at least 30 pounds up to 100 pounds and measuring 38 inches to 60 inches in length. Parents love this seat because it is a little bit smaller than the Britax Regent,the largest model of Britax boosters. The Parkway Booster is one of the few US-made car seats that are approved for use in Canada by the CMVSS.
  • The Britax Parkway Booster Car Seat boasts true side impact protection!
  • Comfort foam on backrest and base
  • The Parkway is contoured and slip resistant
  • Adjustable backrest comfortably fits older children
  • Built-in open loop belt separates it from other booster car seats
  • The Britax Parkway is extremely lightweight, weighing in at only 10 pounds!
  • Retractable cup holders
  • Removable, washable cover
  • Designed for children weighing 30-100 pounds and measuring 38 to 60 inches in height

Old 03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PORSCHEAUDIO
But seriously a $40-75 seat is not good enough for my daughter if i am driving a $100k + car .
Dude, believe me the money was not the reason why I bought the Graco. I spent hours looking into this and the Graco had the best fit. Rennlist has many posts on this and the Graco is what most people felt was safest based on the way the seat mounted in the car w/o the removal of the back seat pad.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
help

Graco ComfortSport bought the same seat and spent last three hours trying for install? Any tips,,,, simpy pulling the belt down, through the top section, out and clipped in does nothing.....no matter how snug I pull it the seat rides up and no where near fits. Any help or advice at all would be great. I flipped the base front facing plastic piece down as noted.....pulled belt 100% out and slowly let back in as suppose to in locking mod etc,,, even tried with stock oem porsche seat base remove etc... do both parts of the belt (shoulder and lap) go through the side and simply out the other then clicked in? Aagain I tried that 10x times and it does not seem to git right. My other seat allows for where the belt exits before clamp to exit on a top and bottom and top clamped down with plastic piece etc.... again any help would be great....or pics?

Guys - I have a Graco ComfortSport and it works fine in the back of the 997. I believe I paid like $75 for it at Babies R Us. Because it is seat-belt mounted (997 doesnt have the metal seat hooks) there is some slight play as any car w/o the metal hooks. See below picture....plenty of room. My daughter is 15 months and 22 lbs.

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-21-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 PM
help

bought the same seat and spent last three hours trying for install? Any tips,,,, simpy pulling the belt down, through the top section, out and clipped in does nothing.....no matter how snug I pull it the seat rides up and no where near fits. Any help or advice at all would be great. I flipped the base front facing plastic piece down as noted.....pulled belt 100% out and slowly let back in as suppose to in locking mod etc,,, even tried with stock oem porsche seat base remove etc... do both parts of the belt (shoulder and lap) go through the side and simply out the other then clicked in? Aagain I tried that 10x times and it does not seem to git right. My other seat allows for where the belt exits before clamp to exit on a top and bottom and top clamped down with plastic piece etc.... again any help would be great....or pics?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Andre5 will become famous soon enoughAndre5 will become famous soon enough
mickfluff,

That's exactly what I said in my post on page 1. The seat does not fit snugly - with rear seat bottom cushion in or out, with rear belt of baby seat tethered or not, with rear seat belt pulled snugly or loose.

I'm inclined to bite the bullet and buy the Porsche Junior seat.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 PM
I had to apply strong pressure on the seat (pushing down or literally sitting on the seat) while tightening the seat belt strap. I also used non-skid shelf foam (the shelf contact paper that is in your pantry). Furthermore, you can use the top strap which will clamp to the metal hook below the rear Porsche 911 window (cutouts are provided and ready for easy cutting). This will give you a very firm seat and your problems will be solved.

The Porsche JR seat had some issues with the pillow holder which was noted on Rennlist on multiple threads. Many children would not sit in that seat as the technology is extremely old and awkward.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-22-2008, 06:50 AM
issue

my problem is when I start to tighten the belt the infant seat twist like 45 degrees, not just a bit off kilter but actually twists and starts to turn upright? Its like you need it supported from the front bottom teather some where, that without a front bottom seat support the seat simply rides up the belt...... I do apprecaite your help but not sure I would recomend the seat to anyone else at this point. Hope I can be proved wrong getting it snung and straight but just don't see it happening. I mean I know it won't be 1000% great but based on my trials I just can't see this seat working at all. In your pic I only see one teather exitinf the side of the seat, is the other part (lap belt) behind it and just hard to see? Thanks again

could I have bought the wrong one? Graco comfortsport?

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-ComfortS...6190520&sr=8-1

I had to apply strong pressure on the seat (pushing down or literally sitting on the seat) while tightening the seat belt strap. I also used non-skid shelf foam (the shelf contact paper that is in your pantry). Furthermore, you can use the top strap which will clamp to the metal hook below the rear Porsche 911 window (cutouts are provided and ready for easy cutting). This will give you a very firm seat and your problems will be solved.

The Porsche JR seat had some issues with the pillow holder which was noted on Rennlist on multiple threads. Many children would not sit in that seat as the technology is extremely old and awkward.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-22-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by mickfluff
my problem is when I start to tighten the belt the infant seat twist like 45 degrees, not just a bit off kilter but actually twists and starts to turn upright?
Something seems odd about this....have you tried the rear facing area for the belt even though the seat is forward facing? Others posted this elsewehere which seemed to work. Also, if you attach the top strap this should help the seat stay snug significantly.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:41 AM
OK its in!

Yes thanks, that was it and made a HUGE difference....Some tips for others for install. For back seat mount forward facing use the hole for the front seat mount its the lower exit and entrance slot not the higher one. (as recomended below) Leave seat coushion in place; I had better luck with it in place....use the rear seat hook in rear cut out. Its beneath the foam behind Bose box in you have the bose system. You can see the cut out areas marked, it is beneath the cut out closest to rear window.... Also there is a front latch, its beneath the front passenger seat. I secured the side latch system that comes off the sside base of the seat to this spot and thats what made the final tight fit. I will be going over this one more time and having it checked by local police/fire dept as well to triple check....but right now its very very snug.... plus I did add a small filler (I used the stuff you put beneath a rug from keep it from sliding?) folded up a few times over in the way back and less thick towards the front. I do not believe this is "gerry rigged" by any means, just helps it sit true instead of a slight angle.

Just got back, son loved it!

Something seems odd about this....have you tried the rear facing area for the belt even though the seat is forward facing? Others posted this elsewehere which seemed to work. Also, if you attach the top strap this should help the seat stay snug significantly.

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-22-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Andre5 will become famous soon enoughAndre5 will become famous soon enough
Uh, duh on me. Thank you Synergy for pointing that out. Just tried routing the seat belt as you described and the car seat is now nice and snug.

Quick question, is there a special technique to popping off the plastic covers that are over the folding seat back mounting bolts? I want to take mine off to add a little extra legroom for my little girl, but I'm afraid I might break the covers.

TIA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Loosing my mind in the infant car seat quest!