997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

warranty issues involving tracking car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:39 PM
bchow83 is on a distinguished road
warranty issues involving tracking car?

has anyone had any warranty issues with the dealer involving tracking the car? i recently found out that tracking the car voids the warranty. i was going to track it, now i'm having second thoughts. thanks.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:07 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
my local porsche dealer actually sponsor's trackdays from time to time. go figure.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedoflight
my local porsche dealer actually sponsor's trackdays from time to time. go figure.
+1 My local had a track day today. I don't beleive that the warranty can be voided if you drive your car (track or not). If you are constantly over revving the engine and you end up blowing it, then maybe they have a case, but driving it hard and a power window motor goes, then fix the thing.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bchow83
has anyone had any warranty issues with the dealer involving tracking the car? i recently found out that tracking the car voids the warranty. ---
My understanding is that manufacturers are varied on their approach to this. By this I mean it depends upon the severity of the warranty work that could be traced to a tracking event and how that could affect the extent to which the dealer/manufacturer will cover prospective damage.

I was also informed that manufacturer's buy track attendee lists and know in advance if you have tracked your car!

So in all it's probably not a good idea to track the car during the warranty period.

Just something to consider.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gcalo
So in all it's probably not a good idea to track the car during the warranty period.
I don't agree with this at all, what is the point getting a new car if you can't use it? A Porsche is a nice car to drive to work, but it needs to run. Driving it on the streets at the posted limit is only going to do more damage then driving it on the track.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 AM
JCS
JCS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I don't agree with this at all, what is the point getting a new car if you can't use it? A Porsche is a nice car to drive to work, but it needs to run. Driving it on the streets at the posted limit is only going to do more damage then driving it on the track.

You may not agree , but in my manual it clearly states that the Warranty does not cover for :

" Abuse, accident,acts of God, COMPETITION,RACING OR TRACK USE or other events ...... "

So use your own judgement . Lol

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Michael2364 will become famous soon enough
Eat the towing bill and have the car towed from the track to your house. Then call the 1800 number and tell them your car is not working properly.They will tow it from your house to the Porsche dealer, where your going to play dumb and they will fix it under warentee. Just take the slicks off the car before it gets towed into the dealer. Porsche has no way of knowing you were at a track.When I was a mech at Ford, Monday was a big Mustang repair day because they beat the crap out of them on the track all weekend. They just spent all day Sunday taking all of the race stuff off the car. You purchased your car to enjoy it. Enjoy it.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by JCS
You may not agree , but in my manual it clearly states that the Warranty does not cover for :

" Abuse, accident,acts of God, COMPETITION,RACING OR TRACK USE or other events ...... "

So use your own judgement . Lol
What page is that on?

the local dealer sponsored a DE day yesterday, I am sure if there was a limitation that they would not be supporting these events. I could understand if you are entering racing events, but a DE, I couldn't imagine the full warranty get cancelled

Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 AM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
c'mon guys it's a freakin porsche. just don't over rev as northvan mentioned already. although that's likely to void any car warranty whether you track or not.

i don't put much credence in manufacturer's buying track attendee list. it's not like you wrote your vin down somewhere. so what if they got your name and the type of car your driving. so what.
should be worried about your car insurance instead.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by speedoflight
c'mon guys it's a freakin porsche. just don't over rev as northvan mentioned already. although that's likely to void any car warranty whether you track or not.

i don't put much credence in manufacturer's buying track attendee list. it's not like you wrote your vin down somewhere. so what if they got your name and the type of car your driving. so what.
should be worried about your car insurance instead.
That is a good point, it is then up to Porsche to prove that any damage was caused due to the "off road" use.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
If tracking a 911 will void its warranty, then I will not buy 911 anymore...

Old 06-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
If tracking a 911 will void its warranty, then I will not buy 911 anymore...
#13's warranty is almost expired, with the milage you have it should last you for another 10 years!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
#13's warranty is almost expired, with the milage you have it should last you for another 10 years!
The problem is I'll probably have a GT3 before you know it.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
The problem is I'll probably have a GT3 before you know it.
Really, Do tell!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Mike R. is on a distinguished road
I would be very, very surprised if Porsche attempted to void a warranty based solely on track use. While the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and relevant state law would apply, Porsche is certainly aware that it would create major P.R. problems. Their marketing is based on their cars' racing lineage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: warranty issues involving tracking car?