997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Are PCCB's really worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
KBS911 is on a distinguished road
Are PCCB's really worth it?

Just got the new Car and Driver with a look at stopping performance.

Interesting evaluation where they stated that they actually "grew weary" trying to get the Porsche brakes to fade. Both PCCB and standard S brakes "survived more than 35 back to back stops without a decrease in performance". Stopping distance averages were 305" in 100 to 0 stops.

Impressive data. "PCCB buyers enjoy a 37 pound weight savings but not necessarily more robust brakes".

So the question is, are the PCCB's really worth the money?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 PM
vizman is on a distinguished road
I dont think so.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:05 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
easy answer

No way, that said would I take them over stockers of course. If money is NO object that is a different question, but based on your question I would say based on the how 95% of P car owners drive their cars (too include the week end track guys) no way. But yes I will powder coat my stockers yellow...... more because I like the contrast then trying to be a poser but anyway... happy to hear the stock brakes (were they stock base model or the big reds in the comparison) held their own.... there is a video on youtube of a race of a none S, an S and a few other cars where the stock carerra had serious brake fade early and know many hang their hat on that video as gospel but its only one vid, could have been a ton of factors why the results were they way they were....

Originally Posted by KBS911
Just got the new Car and Driver with a look at stopping performance.

Interesting evaluation where they stated that they actually "grew weary" trying to get the Porsche brakes to fade. Both PCCB and standard S brakes "survived more than 35 back to back stops without a decrease in performance". Stopping distance averages were 305" in 100 to 0 stops.

Impressive data. "PCCB buyers enjoy a 37 pound weight savings but not necessarily more robust brakes".

So the question is, are the PCCB's really worth the money?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:14 PM
TripleInboard is on a distinguished road
I don't have them on my car but I think they are absolutely worth it. No brake dust, less unsprung weight, perform better under extreme conditions, look great, etc... That said, it is a tough option to get your money back on when you sell the car.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:30 PM
cephas is on a distinguished road
some people compare HP/dollar.
you can compare braking distance / dollar....

Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 PM
RandomName is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind that its not like it is indestruable. When it comes time to replace the rotor (due to cracks or or damage or whatever) that's when owners find out how uber-expensive those things truly are.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 PM
b911s is on a distinguished road
Well, 1500 miles so far with mine and no brake dust, isnt that worth it? I wouldnt buy another Porsche without them now. They are a little pricey but a car in this category should have them. I just like the lastest technology.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 PM
mkk62 will become famous soon enough
i have had a 997S with and without pccb and there are many threads on the subject...i track only about 1-2 times a month and do not see any difference in performance...a couple of friends have followed me in their 997s's in steels and they have no fade.. (we are not racers, but do instruct DE's)...also just replaced my front pccb's 10 grand just for the rotors...... next time steel for me...
have heard of others not being careful and cracking their rotors with a wrench they are very fragile and after 10k i am very paranoid...

if money no options would get them, otherwise not..mine came with the car when i bought it cpo'ed

they are nice though..btw after a couple of track days i do get brake dust....

.02 cents

Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Had them on one of my three 997 cars . I liked having no brake dust but upon resale they were negative .

If I had to select the biggest positive feature I found about the PCCB's it was how well they handled in the rain . Still not worth 8K.

As for braking distances . I feel the Brembo (aftermarket ) offers better performance at a cheaper price but one can't beat the price of the stock brakes and they are great.

On my Turbo I have 700Hp(EVT700) on stock brakes and I have considered upgrading to Brembo but thus far the stock steel brakes have held up impressively .

Even the cermaics were designed for a stock Turbo so I feel that upgrading in my case would tilt in the direction of aftermarket.

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-27-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
For durable performance stay with the the steel big red brakes.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 AM
EdoctaT is on a distinguished road
They do make substantially less brake dust... worth about 5k of the asking price right there alone! (Sarcasm!)

Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have the Red's on my car, no complaints about braking at all. The brake dust comes off with soap water, sponge and few minutes of your time. I have the Carrera Classics and can reach the back side (inside) of the wheel without taking them off.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:18 PM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
I have them, like them, no regrets.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Nugget is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
As for braking distances . I feel the Brembo (aftermarket ) offers better performance at a cheaper price but one can't beat the price of the stock brakes and they are great.
Better brakes are not for reducing braking distances -- Just about any car can lock 'em up. Good brakes are about stopping next time, not this time. It's about heat dissipation. If you're comparing brake performance by evaluating stopping distances you're doing it wrong.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nugget
Better brakes are not for reducing braking distances -- Just about any car can lock 'em up. Good brakes are about stopping next time, not this time. It's about heat dissipation. If you're comparing brake performance by evaluating stopping distances you're doing it wrong.
I said nothing of braking distances .
The stock 997tt brakes (aka "big red") are a Brembo brake .
The upgraded version is merely an enhanced version made by the same company .

There are many threads on the Brembo upgrade on the Turbo forum but this photo and brief explanation covers the subject of weight and size of the upgrade compared to stock.(photos too) https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ghlight=Brembo

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-27-2008 at 11:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are PCCB's really worth it?