997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2nd Place?? 997 '09 vs BMW M3 '09

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 AM
2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light
Angry 2nd Place?? 997 '09 vs BMW M3 '09

How Did This happen ?

Maybe They should of use the "S" version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9k5Lo_ja_w

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
This is a repost, that being said, the scoring was close and the 997 did very well in a few key tests....however, price and practicality will always hurt the 997 against cars like the M3.....

Jason

Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Le Chef is on a distinguished road
Using the same criteria a 911 would win against a 430 Scuderia. It depends how much you value practicality.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
BMW spends more money advertising with C&D.

I have a buddy that has the V8 M3, excellent driver but is not able to keep with me in my 997.1 (both cars have the same mods, plus Brembo GT 380's 6 piston brakes). He keeps mumbling in his British accent, I should have bought a Carrera)

I have the magazine, I have pretty much decided that there comparo test are a waste of time reading them. Compare a sports car to a sports sedan and it seems as if the deciding factors are Trunk space. WTF? My Touareg is bigger holds more cargo and can tow my Porsche to the Track, where my Porsche will kick the M3 around the track all day long.

Just me 2 cents

Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 AM
2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light
I Also Read That The 2009 American Lemans Series Will have a more crowded GT2 Class.. Porsche will Now have to Battle not only Ferrari in the GT2 class but Also Aston Martin, BMW, Corvette, Ford, Dodge, and Panoz.

http://www.trackbytes.com/main/2008/...-for-2009.html

Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
I'll stick with Porsche ... thank you very much

Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 AM
B R A N D X® is on a distinguished road
I like both cars, enjoying reading C&D, but could honestly care less how they rank vehicles. I can decide that on my own thank you very much!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
I love my car, but I have to be honest...I also love the M3. I love the motor in that car and the practicality of it. I currently own a E90 328i Sedan sport with 6spd manual and you know that car handles unbelievably well with exceptional build quality.

That being said..the test of the E92 M3 vs. the 997.2 (non S) seemed fair to me. In fact if they would have pitted it against the S it probably still would have lost the test due to the money factor. Sure the new 997.2 S would have won the performance catagories but at a 25-30k greater price.

Dave

Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Anyone with a 997 could have purchased an M3 had we wanted to. Big deal if it loses a comparison test in C&D.

I just renewed my subscription for another two years - I think it's a fun read.

Ed - you're probably a better driver than your M3 bud.

Any test with a Porsche that includs a practicality measurement and "bang for the buck" component isn't going to be good for Porsche. It's not a purely logic driven choice of car.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Red face still love the 997

I got a copy of that issue a few days before ordering a 997S. Did not change my mind, even though I was deciding between the M3 and 911! In the latest dozen tests or so, it has been all too clear that the new M is faster around a track than a base 911, and maybe even an S (at least until the brakes fail). According to the mags, it has been mostly because of the cars handling, not price. The last test even had Randy pobst, who normally campaigns a 911 in SCCA, to test the cars. He came away stating that the new M was simply a better handler than the 911 turbo (in every category) and his sector times were better in the M than the 911. Regardless of this, I think that when it comes to character, the 911 can't be beat, and that is why most 911 owners would not consider the Nissan GTR either. The M deserves respect however, and I am glad that both of these cars are excellent examples of what companies can do!!! I just wish I could have both.....

Old 01-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Kurt_OH will become famous soon enoughKurt_OH will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Le Chef
Using the same criteria a 911 would win against a 430 Scuderia. It depends how much you value practicality.
REALLY? A 911 will beat a 430 in a lane change and a road course comparo, and match it in acceleration? WOW! That really IS a great car. Unbelievable the M3 can do all those things better than Porsche AND Ferrari!

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I have the magazine,
So, if you have it, why didn't you read it? :-)

I have pretty much decided that there comparo test are a waste of time reading them. Compare a sports car to a sports sedan and it seems as if the deciding factors are Trunk space. WTF? My Touareg is bigger holds more cargo and can tow my Porsche to the Track, where my Porsche will kick the M3 around the track all day long.

Just me 2 cents
LOL - the M3 OUT LAPPED the 911, and beat it in the lane change also. The "sedan" out sports-car'd the "sports car" (IMHO, if it has a back seat of ANY variety, it's NOT a sports car). The fact that it has a decent trunk and back seat is bonus, not deciding.

I don't get it - do you folks who are smacking down this comparison REALLY think the 911 is a bargain, or the best performance for the price? Have you checked a 'vette? Even a BASE one will spank BOTH of these cars, and if you option it with even just the Z51 suspension it'll EMBARRASS both of them. Put a Z06 against an M6 or C2S for the same result. Put the ZR1 against a turbo and again, the cheaper car CRUSHES the expensive one. Of course, the GT-R is another example of bang (ouch - another transmission gone?! :-) ) for the buck!

So what? The engineering, solid feel, attention to detail, exclusivity, style and probably other factors I'm omitting all make a Porsche or BMW worth it to every person who buys one over that vette or GT-R or whatever faster but still inferior to many of us car is the world-beater du jour.

It doesn't mean the article is wrong or stupid or comparing trunk sizes to determine the fastest car. It just means the values/weighting they applied to the evaluation didn't match yours. There's still valuable info for you (and Porsche) to use in your evaluation.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 PM
emtrey is on a distinguished road
who cares

When the e46 M-3 came out, the car mags also chose it over the 996.
I bought an e-46 M-3 but only because I could not afford the Porsche at the time.

M-3 is gone and 997S is here. I'm happy.

Last edited by emtrey; 01-25-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Le Chef is on a distinguished road
Learn to read!

Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
REALLY? A 911 will beat a 430 in a lane change and a road course comparo, and match it in acceleration? WOW! That really IS a great car. Unbelievable the M3 can do all those things better than Porsche AND Ferrari!
You completely missed the point of the thread and are making yourself look stupid. Re-read all the posts and then make an intelligent comment on what you read. Thank you.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
From what i understand the PDK is intantaneous shifting and the PDK is not nearly as rapid. There are also reports of DCT having trouble on the track http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw...9011648-2.html

That said I have an 08 M3 manual . The car is great for my girlfriend . She loves it . I am lukewarm at best with it . I can't stand the big bump on the hood and muscle car appeal . It lacks finesse and yes it has all the gadgets , performs well , is very comfortable, and practical --but in my opinion it lacks class .

I would trade it in a minute for a 997S . I would not buy a regular 997 though and I won't buy PDK --yet. Maybe someday after it evolves.

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-25-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:26 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lig
Anyone with a 997 could have purchased an M3 had we wanted to. Big deal if it loses a comparison test in C&D.

I just renewed my subscription for another two years - I think it's a fun read.

Ed - you're probably a better driver than your M3 bud.

Any test with a Porsche that includs a practicality measurement and "bang for the buck" component isn't going to be good for Porsche. It's not a purely logic driven choice of car.
Perhaps, but his car does crazy things. We are on the track in Kent, WA (PRI) and he is down shifting his DSG from 6 to a lower gear, his car doesn't shift down until he is almost at the Apex, talk about unsettling the car (and driver) not to mention me as I was right behind him and I was wondering what was going on. Apparantly the DSG software doesn't allow for down shifting under heavy braking!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2nd Place?? 997 '09 vs BMW M3 '09