997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pcm 2.1 map updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 AM
berty987 is on a distinguished road
Pcm 2.1 map updates

Hi all,
I am trying to get some data together in an attempt to persuade Porsche to release updates for the PCM 2.1 and possibly PCM 2.0 navigation systems. At present the most up to date map is dated 05/2007 though the map software is actually dated 2006 ! If you would be interested in lending your support, please sign up to the link below. You will need to subscribe to the forum, but its free, and also another good source of information.
Thanks

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24715

Old 08-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Filin is on a distinguished road
I'm realy can't understand, why Porsche don't want update their maps.
Other manufactures update it regulary

What so special in our case?

Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Ridleyguy is on a distinguished road
For some reason I received an error message when I voted, and could not record my vote. I have made similar enquiries to PCNA, Navteq, and the dealers in my area. None of them were helpful or seemed interested in resolving this issue. This is one of many issues I have experienced with Porsche where customer service does not match the brand or customer profile.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 AM
berty987 is on a distinguished road
I intend to pick this back up in the next few weeks. I have a few names of contacts in Porsche Ag that may be able to give an authoritative reply. The trouble is that porschea are a small volume car maker and the PCM is not fitted to all cars. As a result , the cost of making the navigation discs is expensive , which Porsche then pass onto their end user . This creates a bigger issue , as the unit price exceeds a complete stand alone system from Garmin or Tom Tom. Had porsche decided to use an open edition navigation map that was also used by other navigation platforms the economies of scale would be greater and the price cheaper. We would also have the option to buy updates direct from the map supplier such as navteq or teleatlas. The Porsche "specific" navigation map DVD's contain some additional information not found on the normal Navteq disc, though its arguable that this info is really worth the premium to a porsche driver.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
This is terrible. So if I want to sell my 2007 car in 2012, not only will the NAV interface be considered dated, but the maps themselves will be of limited value.

This has an impact on the resale value of the car.

I hope that VW will get Porsche on board with a common NAV platform. One more reason to take a wait and see approach to buying a P-car now.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Filin is on a distinguished road
Porsche North America is going to be offering NAV updates for the following cars:

PCM 2.1 equipped vehicles
- MY05 – MY08 Sports Cars (9x7)
- MY05 – MY08 Cayenne

Availability: January/February 2010

Features:
- Updated database (database status is same information in MY10 vehicles)
- over 6 Million miles of roads covered
- up to 28% more POIs covered (almost 2 Million in total)
- almost 0.5Million restaurants included
- up to 11% more gas stations covered (>100,000 Gas stations)

Part Numbers:
Sports Cars: 997.044.902.51
Cayenne: 955.044.903.61

Retail: $299.00

Last edited by Filin; 01-20-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Filin
Porsche North America is going to be offering NAV updates for the following cars:

PCM 2.1 equipped vehicles
- MY05 – MY08 Sports Cars (9x7)
- MY05 – MY08 Cayenne

Availability: January/February 2010

Features:
- Updated database (database status is same information in MY10 vehicles)
- over 6 Million miles of roads covered
- up to 28% more POIs covered (almost 2 Million in total)
- almost 0.5Million restaurants included
- up to 11% more gas stations covered (>100,000 Gas stations)

Part Numbers:
Sports Cars: 997.044.902.51
Cayenne: 955.044.903.61

Retail: $299.00
BTW this DVD can be easily copied and duplicated, so, if anyone wants to cooperate we could purchase one set for a group.

Not if I would not have money to buy it but just do not find this $300 price tag fair at all for something that company should be supplying for free.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
MattAu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by utkinpol
BTW this DVD can be easily copied and duplicated, so, if anyone wants to cooperate we could purchase one set for a group.

Not if I would not have money to buy it but just do not find this $300 price tag fair at all for something that company should be supplying for free.
Do you think you will need the CD as well? (not that you can't copy the CD as well) I seem to recall last time when there was an update, there were two CDs that came with the DVD to update the PCM.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:14 PM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Originally Posted by utkinpol

+1 Here

Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
p-cardriver will become famous soon enough
I disagree. It costs something to update all the maps and produce the disks. And I have to pay to download new maps for my Garmin. So I don't think or expect Porsche to do this for free.

OTOH, $300 seems about $200 too steep, but that is consistent with the rest of Porsche pricing!

Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure I see the need to update the '07 info. In many cases streets that are already planned but not completed until after the published date show up on the maps. Beyond that I don't know that it would really matter on the other info unless you're using the info to deliver pizza or live where gas stations are few and far between. Guess I don't use mine often enough to recognize the value of new data on anything but finding an address. Have used the hotel info on long road trips though so I could see the value in an update in that info. Would love to hear what others feel the benefit of updated info would be for them.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:46 PM
p-cardriver will become famous soon enough
Several roads around here have been changed (intersections) and there is an error on the route to Mid Ohio from our house. Of course we know the route so it doesn't really matter, but updated maps should capture those changes. I know the maps on our '08 Mercedes are more accurate and I believe all the maps come from one or two companies, so its likely that newer Porsche maps will be more complete and accurate.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
I'm not sure I see the need to update the '07 info. In many cases streets that are already planned but not completed until after the published date show up on the maps. Beyond that I don't know that it would really matter on the other info unless you're using the info to deliver pizza or live where gas stations are few and far between. Guess I don't use mine often enough to recognize the value of new data on anything but finding an address. Have used the hotel info on long road trips though so I could see the value in an update in that info. Would love to hear what others feel the benefit of updated info would be for them.
try to drive into providence, ri - you will see on a gps map how you graciously fly over the water like an airplane. they got highways changed and none of exists/routes matches now for downtown area.

there are also some diffs in MA as well. so, update is needed.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
mattjtaylor50 is on a distinguished road
guys i have ordered one suncoast
should have it in about 10 days
PM and we can work something out...

Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
MattAu is on a distinguished road
Apparently, I have to update my navigation module before I can just install a newer DVD in the drive. I have Model Level B already. Anyone care to let me in on the Multimedia Update CD Navigation Disc?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pcm 2.1 map updates