997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aasco Light weight flywheel and clutch installed today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Michael2364 will become famous soon enough
Aasco Light weight flywheel and clutch installed today

What a difference 15 less pounds of weight makes on a rotating assembly. Night and day. Feels like a completely different car. Rev matching when down shifting is a no brainer now, And the engine revs up at least twice as fast. Also, my car no longer sounds like a Cessna when you crank it over. Very happy with this mod. Highly recommended.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Well done Michael... can't agree more. On any NA 911 it's my favorite mod too...

Here's a video etc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1eYuVe2zE

Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Well done Michael... can't agree more. On any NA 911 it's my favorite mod too...
+1 I really like this mod.

Congrats on the new mod Michael.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
+1 I really like this mod.

Congrats on the new mod Michael.
+1 Back... I've had it on my own cars:

The 996 track car...
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/996-ca...e-and-ruf.html

The Cayman S:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/987-ca...n-s-rs350.html

The RS (we made it even lighter):
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-gt...21-wheels.html

And even on the 996TT
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/996-tu...-gt2-body.html

The 09 C2S.. oh darnit she's a PDK.

I just love the way you can blip the throttle and gear down. Pete from Excellence said it best (in reference to our Cayman S) by saying it gives it more "character"

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
cheetahib is on a distinguished road
I am re-installing mine, and I can't find the paper that gave the torque specs. Anyone remember them?

Thanks,

Originally Posted by Michael2364
What a difference 15 less pounds of weight makes on a rotating assembly. Night and day. Feels like a completely different car. Rev matching when down shifting is a no brainer now, And the engine revs up at least twice as fast. Also, my car no longer sounds like a Cessna when you crank it over. Very happy with this mod. Highly recommended.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
For which bolt do you need the torque specs? Please be specific, as I have the shop manual.
CATTMAN

Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 AM
cheetahib is on a distinguished road
I need the torque specs for the (8) M-10 bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft. I have the specs for the factory DM flywheel, but I can't find my paper for my Aluminum AASCO one.

Thanks,

Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Did you change the pulley too?

I heard its wise to do the RS pulley when you upgrade to a LWFW to a 997S

Also does the RS clutch fit in 997S?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mobonic
Did you change the pulley too?

I heard its wise to do the RS pulley when you upgrade to a LWFW to a 997S

Also does the RS clutch fit in 997S?
You don't need to change the pulley, it is only needed on a GT3.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Is there an advantage to changing the pulley???

Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Do you mind me asking what price was for this mod? That is, part plus labor. Please feel free to PM me if this is an inappropriate forum request.
And what about the concerns expressed about noise and rattling at idle?
Thanks,
V

Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by mobonic
Is there an advantage to changing the pulley???
Not needed on a the Carrera engine.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
Do you mind me asking what price was for this mod? That is, part plus labor. Please feel free to PM me if this is an inappropriate forum request.
And what about the concerns expressed about noise and rattling at idle?
Thanks,
V
There is some rattle, it may not be desirable in a cab. As for the cost, it is about $900-1000 for the part, and the install is about the same as replacing the clutch. That is a good time to replace the flywheel, as the additional labour is minimal.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
There is some rattle, it may not be desirable in a cab. As for the cost, it is about $900-1000 for the part, and the install is about the same as replacing the clutch. That is a good time to replace the flywheel, as the additional labour is minimal.
'some rattle' means your crankshaft is not balanced and eventually will brake apart, depending of for how much it is unbalanced and how much stress is it causing.

there are a lot of conversations about this and from what I was told as well usually for cup cars first engine gets balanced properly and only then dual-mass flywheel gets replaced with LWFW.
Just doing it blindly on a street car cutting corners by simple install of LWFW in worst case scenario keeping stock clutch in place may not be a good idea. In my opinion it is a considerable risk, even more substantial than just putting SC or turbo on a stock car.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
'some rattle' means your crankshaft is not balanced and eventually will brake apart, depending of for how much it is unbalanced and how much stress is it causing.

there are a lot of conversations about this and from what I was told as well usually for cup cars first engine gets balanced properly and only then dual-mass flywheel gets replaced with LWFW.
Just doing it blindly on a street car cutting corners by simple install of LWFW in worst case scenario keeping stock clutch in place may not be a good idea. In my opinion it is a considerable risk, even more substantial than just putting SC or turbo on a stock car.
This is not a crankshaft rattle, the Carrera's don't have the same issues that the GT1 block cars do. Perhaps if you were to actually hear the sound you might be able to form an opinion that is based on something more then hearsay.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aasco Light weight flywheel and clutch installed today