997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daytime Running Lights are kinda weird

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Daytime Running Lights are kinda weird

So I activated the DRLs via sport chrono menu, and not only do the headlights come on, but so do the side markers and tails. Not exactly what I was expecting. was hoping for headlights only. Is there a way to change this, or is this the way Porsche does this?

Old 09-06-2009, 11:23 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
You could take your car to the dealer and ask them to program yor lights for Canadian lighting. I think the headlights are the only item turned on.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
That's a good idea. I just find it strange that porsche programs all the lights to come on as DRLs.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
johnstoy is on a distinguished road
My Canadian car (not imported) has all the lights on for DRL. The only thing the dash switch does is turn on the dashboard and instrument lights (and front & rear fogs if I want). I thought that was standard.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:36 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have seen other 997's with just the headlights on. My car is a US car wth the DRL's turned on via the PCM.

Perhaps they have rewired the the car, thanks for the response John.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 PM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
I have a US car which the dealer turned on the DRL because I was importing it to CANADA and all the lights come on except for the dash as well. Never understood why the tail lights would go on as well.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Flying Cat will become famous soon enoughFlying Cat will become famous soon enough
I had dealer enable DRL in my car. However, after few weeks I decided to go back to the dealership to turn off DRL. I did not like at all the fact that all lights come on.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
canuckporsche is on a distinguished road
DRL Canada - what is the standard set up?

My Canada car only has the LED lights that come on as part DRL e.g. regularheadlights do not come on. I went into chrono and there is no option to turn the DRL function on or off?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
For the 997.2 cars (2009) there is an option to configure the DRL's in the computer. It may depend on having the sport chrono option, otherwise the dealer may need to program the option. I have mine set to use DRL. What this does in the car is turn on the front LED DRL lights in the bumper.. thats the ONLY lights that are on when the engine is running, unless I turn the light switch to turn on the lights (headlights and tail lights / running lights).

How things work on a 997.1, without the LED DRLs is a different issue, and it seems specific countries have specific rules.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 AM
aroby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Minok
For the 997.2 cars (2009) there is an option to configure the DRL's in the computer. It may depend on having the sport chrono option, otherwise the dealer may need to program the option. I have mine set to use DRL. What this does in the car is turn on the front LED DRL lights in the bumper.. thats the ONLY lights that are on when the engine is running, unless I turn the light switch to turn on the lights (headlights and tail lights / running lights).
According to the PCM manual, there should be a menu option for the DRLs. I have the Sport Chrono package and don't see this - is that something the dealer has to configure?

Anthony

Old 09-20-2009, 12:03 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
My '09 car came with a unique feature - an Owner's Manual - could be USA/GA only? For those without it, here's what it says:

Daytime driving lights
The daytime driving lights are integrated in the
front auxiliary headlights. These lights are
switched on only when the engine is running and
with the light switch in the positions OFF or HOME.
Operation of the daytime driving lights may vary
depending on country-specific regulations.
Canada only:
In addition to the auxiliary headlights the parking
lights are switched on.
USA only:
The daytime driving lights can be deactivated in
the on-board computer.
>
Please see the chapter “ON-BOARD
COMPUTER (BC)” on Page 128.

Vehicles with the Sport Chrono Package Plus

Further individual light functions (e.g. daytime driving
lights) are available in vehicles with the Sport
Chrono Package Plus.
>
Please observe the chapter “Individual Memory”
in the separate PCM operating instructions.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:51 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I believe the original question pertained to 997.1 cars, which don't have the new LED DRLs. I found that on my 05 C2S cab with sport chrono, I still couldn't program DRL. Apparently the early PCMs didn't provide that option. My 07 T4S allowed me to set up DRL, which is all the external lights. So I view it as a compromise to the normal DRL setup which would be headlights (or preferably, other front lamps) only.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Harvey in MD is on a distinguished road
I ran across this hack on a 2000S Boxster, but have not tried it yet....
I have a 08 997 and will try it sooner or later as it sounds reasonable to me.

DRL-Fog Light Hack

The hack involves a single jumper wire between the Fog light relay and the Fog light fuse. Now the Fog lights go on and off with the ignition switch and are switched off when the high beam headlights go on.
Required Materials:

(10) inches of 16 gague insulated wire
(2) Fuse taps, Radio Shack P/N 270-1204
(2) female Quick Disconnectors, Radio Shack P/N 64-3131

Procedure:

1. Strip the wire ends and crimp on the Quick Disconnects.
2. Plug in a fuse tap to each of the Quick Disconnects.
3. Locate the Fog light relay in the panel above the Fuse panel. It is #12, the far left relay in the second row from the bottom.
4. Attach one of the fuse taps to pin 86 of the relay. Bend the tap to conform to the bottom of the relay. Use a piece of electrical tape to hold the wire to the side of the relay.
5. Return the relay to position #12 and run the other end of the wire to the top of the fuse panel.
6. Remove the Fog light fuse, 25 Amp, #7 (top row, 4th position from the right) from the fuse panel. Slip the fuse tap on the wire end to the upper leg of the fuse.
7. Return the fuse with the tap up into position #7.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Sounds interesting. If you get it to work on your 997, let us know.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Harvey in MD
DRL-Fog Light Hack
The hack involves a single jumper wire between the Fog light relay and the Fog light fuse. Now the Fog lights go on and off with the ignition switch and are switched off when the high beam headlights go on.
The only problem with that modification is that driving around in non-fog conditions with fog lights on is just plain wrong as fog lights are much too bright for use as daytime running lights. If you use that hack, then I'd recommend adjusting the aim of the fogs to point further down.. and of course you loose the 'fog light' functionality if you need it for foggy conditions, due to the change in aim.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights are kinda weird