997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Spare wheel set info - Pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:23 PM
wwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jay Jones
Hey WWilliams88, is the spare tire you show above a 16" or 17"?

Let me know, thanks.

Jay
The tire size is 185/60-17

Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Sezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to behold
Looks like a nice kit - but really wonder if it would work with PCCB's...

Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by wwilliams88
Just to resurrect this thread briefly, this is the kit I purchased from Suncoast Motorsports last week (thanks to Ric Knab for his help in putting it together).

987-722-061-01 Tire cover (old part number 987-722-061-00)
996-362-020-04 Emergency wheel (old part number 996-362-020-03)
996-722-101-00 Emergency wheel insert
996-721-211-00 Jack

The tire cover is canvas, zippered, and has four straps on one side with clips on each end. Inside the "frunk" there are two screws attaching the inner cowling that would be in line with one of these straps. I'm going to talk to my company machinist to see if we can get creative with some aluminum attachment points using these screws.

Here are a few photos, just for the record. For those that are interested, the inner diameter across the plane of the wheel attachment plate is 15.75" For a 997.2 Carrera (no S) without the PCCB's, this looks like plenty of clearance for the brakes.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a wheel lug wrench that would complete the kit? How about a decent torque wrench as well?

How this info helps.
Wow - thanks. There is a Porsche "tool" kit that goes with all this stuff. It has a lug wrench and various other tools including the alignment rods that assist in mounting the wheels. It is expensive though. I found one of these kits and a jack on e-bay. I just need to fill in the other bits and I'm set. And then figure out how to mount it.

Keep us posted on your mounting idea.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM
ervjohns will become famous soon enough
Will this work with a C4S?
- brake clearance
- available space in the frunk?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind - I see now that the OP has a C4S

Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 PM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ervjohns
Will this work with a C4S?
- brake clearance
- available space in the frunk?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind - I see now that the OP has a C4S
Yes, my car is a C4S

Old 12-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if we're beating a dead horse, but looks like a spare tire is an easy upgrade for a Cayman. Just tested it, and it seems to be made to fit, and straps down with existing hardware. Has anyone done this before? Not sure if we found something cool, or if someone else has already tried it.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 PM
fusion85 is on a distinguished road
On my C4 with the CD changer in the trunk, I secure the collapsible spare ( $150 on ebay) there with 2 nylon straps. One to the clip on the back of the trunk wall (not so strong), & the other to the strut below the floor panel of the trunk where the compressor used to be (quite strong). No movement @ all. I also carry a plug kit. Sort of a belt & suspenders approach.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
mbs
mbs is on a distinguished road
The spare tire issue is not a dead horse. I have a 997, NOT an S, but with factory 19" wheels and PASM, but NOT with the larger rotors I examined both the 996 spare and the Cayman/Boxster spare tire (the socalled bicycle tire- 105/95 R17) It is thin and tall, and comes fully inflated. It seems to me to be more substantial than the 996 spare, which is collapsable, but none-the-less does not fit at the bottom of the frunk as it does in the 996 because they redesigned the space on the 997). The part number, inexplicably (because I was told it was Cayman/Boxster spare and it looks like the one I examined) is 996-362-130-01. I have tried the spare on both the front and rear and it works in both places with enough rotor clearance. My question for the person who sent the earlier email (suncoast?) it you said "straps down with existing hardware." How did you strap it down? in my front, it will fit standing toward the back of the front (too tall unless I deflate it) and do not see places to strap it to. I currently have a long thin piece of plywood the wedge against the tire (which is sloped in the frunk area) and the sides of the frunk. Not too high tech, but it seems to work. I would just like to secure it better, and perhaps get it to stand so I get more frunk area. Thanks for any replies. -M

Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
This particular spare tire cover has nylon straps and metal hooks. The Cayman has the appropriate hooks for attachment, and it made this an easy installation for this car. For Carrera and Boxster models, custom fitment seems to be required.

This tire is not inflated, it's the collapsible type.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
add me to the group buy

Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
So it sounds like we still don't have a USA solution that will get us the parts that a Guatemalan C4 would have in the frunk. Why the heck is this so difficult for a dealer to get set up? Is Porsche AG purposely blocking the US market from having access to the parts? Come on Porsche! Sheesh.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
wwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of light
Here is an approach I used to temporarily mount the tire, while I search for a better method. When you remove the air compressor housing on my 997.2 C2, you expose the mount for the dynamic cornering lights controller which is welded to a bar that runs horizontally across the back of the "frunk". There are two, fairly sturdy tabs on this mount that have two holes each that will clear an M8 bolt. Using some 1" wide nylon lashing strap and a tarp eyelet kit, I created two custom straps that could be mounted to these tabs. The other end of each strap has another eyelet for connecting to the tire cover clips. That covers the top two clips.

For the bottom two clips, I removed the black "cones" that locate the base of the compressor housing mount and attached two more lashing straps to the exposed posts with a thin walled nut. This allowed me to replace the cones with the straps attached. The bolts in this location are fairly small in diameter, so I don't expect them to take a lot of force without bending. Hence the temporary nature of this solution.

Replacing the compressor cover now leaves the ends of the securing straps exposed. I deliberately made the bottom straps longer than necessary at this stage since I wanted to use the tub liner I bought for the car for added support. Final photo shows the tire secured with the straps on the tire cover attached to the custom straps. The fit is very snug, but not solidly tight.

Using the tub liner raises the tire height to the point where you would worry about the hood coming in contact with the tire. Fortunately, the highest part of the tire slips into the space above the location where the cross welded hood struts come together. The hood closes without contacting the tire. However, I do recommend a Das Schild hood protector if you decide to try this.

Has anyone come up with a better way for the 997.2?

Attached Images      

Last edited by wwilliams88; 01-11-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Nice pics - thanks.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM
dieselophile is on a distinguished road
Best spare for 997 - infaltable or inflated?

Nice pics, looks real neat. How bout if one had the inflated donut, the Cayman/Boxster spare tire/bicycle tire- 105/95 R17. Any idea how to have this secured neatly, or should I try and get the collapsible spare most are using???
Do any users have preferences to which is the best spare option for a 997???
The collapsible or the pre-inflated???

Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
mbs
mbs is on a distinguished road
I a 997 and bought the "bicycle tire" type spare, which comes fully inflated. I have it sitting upright in my frunk on the deep end. I thought I would need to somewhat deflate (which was OK since I have the OEM compressor, but found I could close the frunk lid with out forcing it. This approach gives me maximum space for other things I carry I believe the way the lid it design, it holds the tire firmly. If any of you out there have an experience to the contrary, please let me know. Thanks, -M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spare wheel set info - Pics inside