997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Expert help - casting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Expert help - casting

Hello,

A lot of you have been helpful before as I have tried to solve my issues with Porsche as it relates to continued issues with the car. I was wondering if anyone has any information related to the specifications of a shift fork? Specifically I am looking to understand what casting grade of the material is acceptable. The broken piece I have now is being analized and seems to be rather low but it would be good to know what it is supposed to be.

Any thoughts on how to get this information would also be helpful.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know what grade Porsche specs for it's shift forks. What ever it is I haven't heard of any failures. If you are sure the part is cast you might want to determine if the fracture is ductile or brittle. Is there any evidence of porosity, oxides or inclusions at the fracture site? Those might point to a material defect.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I don't know what grade Porsche specs for it's shift forks. What ever it is I haven't heard of any failures. If you are sure the part is cast you might want to determine if the fracture is ductile or brittle. Is there any evidence of porosity, oxides or inclusions at the fracture site? Those might point to a material defect.
Thanks for the thought. It does have lots of casting cavities in the form of porosity. The exact casting grade is not yet known but I will have a 3d image soon of it. Of course PCNA does not seem to want to help me find out what the standard is but even the microscope test shows a large number of pipes.

It is a very rare issue which is why P and I just dont see eye to eye on it. They can be rather stuborn in my opinion. But of course so can I. Who the hell actually gets a 3d image of a part vs. just paying the 6k?>

At least I get my car back today after a month. New tranny, Engine only has 300 miles on it, new clutch, new slave... I think I got everything

Holy crap would I be screwed if I ever took it to the track. I think one should assume the car is 150k not 100k.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
So does this mean you are having your own failure analysis done on the part?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by mattyf
So does this mean you are having your own failure analysis done on the part?

Yes it does. Parts fail at some small rate, that is a simple yeild rate fact. This part rarely breaks and never at 2800 miles. PCNA does not want to be cooperative, so yes I will do it on my own.

I did not spend 100k to shell out 6k in 5 months, have an engine replaced, and spend over 49 days without my car that I bought to enjoy.

Last edited by Yossarian; 12-29-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: typical typo
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Casting grade for a defective part, why go there? It should never-ever break! Hows that for a specification? If they have replaced an engine at 2800 miles surely this is a simpler warranty issue. I hope you get it sorted out soon. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Casting grade for a defective part, why go there? It should never-ever break! Hows that for a specification? If they have replaced an engine at 2800 miles surely this is a simpler warranty issue. I hope you get it sorted out soon. Good luck.

Sadly, pcna has chosen to take this one all the way. I agree with you but this is part porsche ownership sometimes.. or at least it seems that way to me.