997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche 997-1 to 997-2 drl / led front light conversion instructions needed. HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
The rear parking distance sensors have changed between 997.1 and 997.2. The sensors, wiring, and control unit have been changed, so we haven't found a way to make them work yet. I'm sure it could be fitted with custom fabrication, but we only want to offer plug-and-play kits.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seskiyapan
Rear bumper is somewhat different from the gen 1 and I do believe that it is better to buy it. If you examine the pics of both bumpers, you will see that very bottom part between exhaust tips is different and the finish of the gap where the number plate goes is different too other than the headlight finishes.

I am doing my 05 C2S rear and front facelift tomorrow, I will post pics.

One question to Suncoast, why dont you guys have the rear upgrade for the rear with PDC ? Mine is going to be done tomorrow with PDC.
Can't wait for the pics!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:02 PM
petporcheman is on a distinguished road
there is a thread where they change a turbo 997.1 bumper to a 997.2 bumper and just remove the brackets on the inside of the bumpers and replace them with the 997.1 brackets for the sensors on the new bumper. they just chizel them off the urethrane and glue them on the new bumper. is is on a thread and the name of the owner is jason tang. the work is done at motorsport unlimited in issaquah washington. look pon google under rear bumper convdersion 997.1 to 997.2 porsche

Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
thunderbolt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by petporcheman
there is a thread where they change a turbo 997.1 bumper to a 997.2 bumper and just remove the brackets on the inside of the bumpers and replace them with the 997.1 brackets for the sensors on the new bumper. they just chizel them off the urethrane and glue them on the new bumper. is is on a thread and the name of the owner is jason tang. the work is done at motorsport unlimited in issaquah washington. look pon google under rear bumper convdersion 997.1 to 997.2 porsche
Here you go - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/213708-diy-swapping-997-1tt-taillights-newer-997-2tt-led-taillights-my-turbo.html

Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 AM
mapounet is on a distinguished road
Hello, this good to know ... Because I just bought the new sensor and loom. I didn't try it yet. I will keep you post.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 AM
monster1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mapounet
Hello, this good to know ... Because I just bought the new sensor and loom. I didn't try it yet. I will keep you post.
Hi there, yes I did the same when i did my conversion! you cannot use the later Gen 2 park sensors, they operate completely differently and the car will not recognise them, return them thats what i did.

You need to remove your original four sensor brackets from inside your old bumper, they peel off quite easily, and re-stick to the new bumper, i used a powerful doublesided sticky tap, and then reuse your old sensors!.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Hello monster1,
Many thanks for your reply. Too late I already bought it from eBay, never mind. I am doing the front 997.2 GT3 to 997.1 S bumper conversation using OEM parts only ..... it is a real pain, you have to change the entire front car almost .... the bumper is not the pb .... air duct, inner wing has to be change too because the bolting is not the same. And you end up spending lots of money!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I just converted my front bumper to 997.2 GT3 and rear 997.2. In résumé, here the main issue.

1) Rear Bumper
- Almost a direct swap.
- Need to change the top bumper holder because the holes are not in the same place.
- PDC is not compatible with the new one (bought the entire new one and loom and it do not work). You have to unglue (double tape) the old PDC support and double tape them into the new one.
- The plug light is almost the same, you just have to trim a small piece on the light side. I try to find the correct plug to fit it but end up triming it. Here the pinout:
a) Old Pinout:
pin1: Brake Light
pin2: Ground
pin3: Reverse Light
pin4: Turn Signal
pin5: Fog Light
pin6: Driving Light
b) New Pinout:
pin1: Fog Light
pin5: Brake Light
- Rear Control Unit has to be change to new one 997.2 and it is under the driver seat.

2) Front Bumper
- You need to change all the air duct.
- You need to change the side lower part (the thing that is under each wheel arch and goes under the radiator.
- If you upgrade to center radiator, you need to change to 997.2 GT3 Center radiator which is a 996. 997 will not fit with the new center airduct.
- Front Light need rewiring (easy). And it works with old control unit too! If you do it yourself leave the maximum lenght on the old loom because you will need it.
Pinout:
pin 1: Driving Light
pin 2: Fog Light
pin 3: Ground
pin 4: Turn Signal
Side Repeater is a direct swap. You just need to buy the new bumper loom to do the wiring
- Light washer need to be change too, it is not the same. Need to buy extra tube because it is longer.
And that's all. I don't know if I forget something ..... Enjoy.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 AM
FerrariKid is on a distinguished road
mapaunet thanks for the post really interesting post on doing the conversion.
A couple of points - did you have to recode the front or rear modules or were they simple plug and play after the wires were changed around?
also do you know if this is the same for a 58 plate gen 1 as for a 2005 gen 1 997 as a few people seem to think the rear light plugs and modules are different after 2008.
Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi FerrariKid,
About the Coding:
- Rear: Need coding with new Control Module (Activate LED via PIWIS).
- Front: Need Coding only if you need DRL, if you don't need it just do the wiring and it works without coding.
- What is 58 Plate? You mean number plate light? Plug is the same if you reuse from the old bumper loom. About the Rear Light Plug .... Just get a Dremel and trim the small bit ... that's all. It takes 5mn to do it.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM
I forgot to tell you that if you have a car after 2007. You do not need the new rear control module mine was 99761826004 (2005). You will need at least 99761826008 version I think. I also bought the new front control module 99761851201 but I didn't put it because everythink works fine at the moment. I got everythink recode by Porsche for free. It tooks them 5mn to do it.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 AM
The real pain about the rear bumper is to swap the PDC holders and swaping the Control Module because you hace to remove the driver seat. The rest is quite straight forward. The front 997.2 GT3 Bumper is the real pain because some of the parts is not in the PET and you might buy the wrong parts. And I also have the third radiator because I only treck my car and you need the 996 radiator kit to be able to fit the central airduct etc .... I start it, finish it but cost a lot of money for the front bumper. No worst it, just put the GTS front, much easier.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Djork will become famous soon enoughDjork will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mapounet
Hi everyone,

I just converted my front bumper to 997.2 GT3 and rear 997.2. In résumé, here the main issue.

1) Rear Bumper
- Almost a direct swap.
- Need to change the top bumper holder because the holes are not in the same place.
- PDC is not compatible with the new one (bought the entire new one and loom and it do not work). You have to unglue (double tape) the old PDC support and double tape them into the new one.
- The plug light is almost the same, you just have to trim a small piece on the light side. I try to find the correct plug to fit it but end up triming it. Here the pinout:
a) Old Pinout:
pin1: Brake Light
pin5: Fog Light
b) New Pinout:
pin1: Fog Light
pin5: Brake Light
- Rear Control Unit has to be change to new one 997.2 and it is under the driver seat.

2) Front Bumper
- You need to change all the air duct.
- You need to change the side lower part (the thing that is under each wheel arch and goes under the radiator.
- If you upgrade to center radiator, you need to change to 997.2 GT3 Center radiator which is a 996. 997 will not fit with the new center airduct.
- Front Light need rewiring (easy). And it works with old control unit too! If you do it yourself leave the maximum lenght on the old loom because you will need it.
Pinout:
pin 1: Driving Light
pin 2: Fog Light
pin 3: Ground
pin 4: Turn Signal
Side Repeater is a direct swap. You just need to buy the new bumper loom to do the wiring
- Light washer need to be change too, it is not the same. Need to buy extra tube because it is longer.
And that's all. I don't know if I forget something ..... Enjoy.
This is such great information! Thank you so much. One question I have is mounting the 997.2 front lights. I plan on putting 997.2 front lights onto a 997.1 Gt3 front bumper like this:

I have the bumper and the lights already but I noticed the lights don't mount to the bumper on a 997.2 but it seems to mount onto the frame or something? What part do I need to mount the front DRL lights? Will I need any other parts?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 AM
shumy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by suncoastric
The rear parking distance sensors have changed between 997.1 and 997.2. The sensors, wiring, and control unit have been changed, so we haven't found a way to make them work yet. I'm sure it could be fitted with custom fabrication, but we only want to offer plug-and-play kits.
I saw at your website that you are selling a rear bumper set with the LED's to convert the 997.1 to 997.2.you are saying that you only want to offer plug-and-play kits. Is this the case or do I have to find someone for custom fabrication for this kit?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Prinz is on a distinguished road
led front wiring diagram updates

Hi everyone , I am currently updating my porsche to the gen2 leds front , and was wondering does anyone actually know what colour of wire goes to where in the new loom ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997-1 to 997-2 drl / led front light conversion instructions needed. HELP