997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help removing rear seat backs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
cfos is on a distinguished road
Help removing rear seat backs?

Hi all,

Trying to install a Britax Roundabout in the rear and would like to remove the rear seat backs. I was able to pop off the plastic cover in the side wall, but need a larger torx screwdriver to unscrew the bolt. Any recommendation on a specific size? I got a set at Home Depot, but apparently need a larger one.

Also, having trouble popping off the plastic cover in the middle of the back seats -- you know the cover where the bolts from each back seat meet?

I've tried searching these forums, but haven't found anything that can help. I have the 997.2, but it seems to be the same as the 997 for this.

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 PM
MattAu is on a distinguished road
You got to remove the bolt on the side first before you an remove the middle. At least that's how it works on my 997.1 cab. By the way, I have a Britax Roundabout and it won't fit in the rear of my 997.1 cab. I use another brand and it barely fits.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM
It fits if you remove the base. Thanks for the tip. I tried a few larger allen wrenches and was able to get the bolt off and then the seat back slid off. Got the center plastic cap off but now struggling to remove the bar.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I just did this tonight actually. I did it in the following order..

1. Took the plastic cover off the bolt that bolts the seat belt into the bottom/side, then removed the bolt and let the belt hang in the back.

2. This is where I hit my bump in the road. My torx screw was already a little rounded off on my driver side and I couldn't quite find a torx head to fit in it. Mine seemed like the correct size was right in between 40 and 45, but the 40 just continued to strip the screw and the 45 was to large. After wasting an hour going to and from Sears hoping they made 42 size torx head I came home and gave up on trying to remove the torx screw w/o completely stripping it (i'll buy new screws when needed) I then took the 45 and hammered it hard enough to get a tight fit into the torx screw where I then just took my 3/8ths ratchet and was able to loosen it. I did this to both sides and after finally getting the process right on the driver side the passenger side took me about 30 seconds.

3.The torx screw goes through a little rail bracket so once I removed the torx screw I pulled up enough to get the upper part of the seat off the rail. I then pulled the seats off the mounting bar or whatever you would like to call it.

4. At this point both seats are off and just the bracket that sits in between the seats is left. If you pop off the plastic cover from that you have exposed the thing that the seat sits on so its able to flip down (referred as the mounting bar in step 3) All you have to do to remove that is take an allen key and loosen it and your done.

Its actually quite an easy procedure, hope this helps a little bit. Wish I could provide pictures for my write up, but I didn't think about it as I was doing it.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I may have mentioned it but I had to use the allen wrench to remove the side bolts and can't seem to make headway with the torx bolt and bar in the middle. Did you have to add a heck of a lot of pressure? I almost feel like I can just as easly break over that middle bar. Argh!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:45 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Easy approach is to get a hex / torx bit (or sets) that works with your socket/rachet wrench, you get much more torque on the screw. Torx bits for socket sets are available at Home Depot, Autozone, Northern Tools & Harbor Freight among others.

Last edited by obsessed; 11-04-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:00 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
great pic, thanks CFOS, the pic help me imagine how a baby seat would fit in the rear of my car, now i know.... thanks... rep points added..

Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by obsessed
Easy approach is to get a hex / torx bit (or sets) that works with your socket/rachet wrench, you get much more torque on the screw. Torx bits for socket sets are available at Home Depot, Autozone, Northern Tools & Harbor Freight among others.
Intended to mention I got mine out with T40 bit on side bolts (fit was a bit loose as mentioned by Misanors4) and 4mm hex bit for center attachment.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
MattAu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cfos
It fits if you remove the base. Thanks for the tip. I tried a few larger allen wrenches and was able to get the bolt off and then the seat back slid off. Got the center plastic cap off but now struggling to remove the bar.
I removed the base, the middle centre and the rear back and it doesn't fit. I am pretty sure the coupe has longer or deeper rear seats than the cab because the cab has to accomodate the roll-over protection device.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:33 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cfos
I may have mentioned it but I had to use the allen wrench to remove the side bolts and can't seem to make headway with the torx bolt and bar in the middle. Did you have to add a heck of a lot of pressure? I almost feel like I can just as easly break over that middle bar. Argh!

Fellas, don't be like me. Be VERY careful with the middle bar that connects the back seats. If you dont have enough room to pull the seats by releasing them from the lateral supports, this little bar will break. It is incredibly brittle, I hope not that expensive, because I'll need a new one.

The cab has a different inclination on the back seat making it harder to fit any given seat. I use a graco in my 997.2 it sorta fit well. I added a Porsche seat (Britax in reality) in my deal and that one fits like a glove, quite amazing, with the seats on.

I hope that helps.