997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Disconnect battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
simrohor is on a distinguished road
Disconnect battery?

I will be out of town for 30 days and since my car is in the driveway and not inside a garage, a battery maintainer or tender is not feasible.

So, I am planning to disconnect the cable from the ground/negative terminal, keep it securely away.

Other than losing radio, clock, seat memory settings, are there additional downsides to disconnecting the battery?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
yes, you will not be able to open the trunk when you get back...you will have to use another battery (doesn't always work) or the pull wire in the wheel well (not always easy to find)

Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the response.

Not wanting to go through the procedure on p. 262 of the manual, and keeping the luggage lid unclosed (with a microfiber cloth around the locking mechanism), I should be fine?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
as long as the car is covered in case it rains

Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up in your first e-mail. You saved me from major ownage.

I used to routinely do that to my E46 M3, use my key to unlock and open the trunk at the back. Whew.

Yes, I will wash, disconnect, secure the lid, put on the OEM cover.

Best regards,

Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
A neighbor of mine, for one year, used a solar car battery charger on his son's car while he was in Iraq. He place it on the dashboard between the glass and the sunshade. Because everything was inside he did not have to worry about the Florida rain. Here is where he purchased his from: http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/

Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Very interesting. Certainly worth getting it for shorter stays out of the country but I prefer to keep it covered for longer durations.

Unless, of course, I find a way to secure the panel onto the OEM cover? Himm.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Sew the soft fuzzy side of VELCRO on the cover & the loop side on the solar panel.
Check out this VELCRO web site:
http://www.hookandloop.com/extra/velcrofaq.html

There is also a VELCRO Brand Fabric Fusion Tape that is heat activated thus no sewing needed. Just iron it on. It bonds permanently and actually strengthens with washing.

Last edited by na011; 11-11-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-11-2009, 01:18 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by simrohor
I will be out of town for 30 days and since my car is in the driveway and not inside a garage, a battery maintainer or tender is not feasible.

So, I am planning to disconnect the cable from the ground/negative terminal, keep it securely away.

Other than losing radio, clock, seat memory settings, are there additional downsides to disconnecting the battery?

Thanks in advance.
also, if you are going to open doors after disconnecting battery - do not forget lower windows a bit down.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I keep car in drvway. Run extension cord from nearest outlet. Use trickle charger w cigarette lighter connection as found on the compact oem unit or the like. Thin wire from lighter connector will pass out the door w no problem. Put the charger body and plugs in a waterproof container (my wife's tupperware) and put it under the car. Lock it up. Use car cover over the whole shebang. Voila....

Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Question: To use a battery tender with cigarette lighter adaptor, you must connect it to a cigarette jack inside the vehicle that STAYS HOT when the ignition is off in order to chg battery. Does the cigarette lighter stay hot???

Old 11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
EvilBoffin is on a distinguished road
Be it good or bad, both 12V outlets in a 997 DO stay 'hot' and connected to the battery when the ignition is off.

I know this 'cause I haven't hardwired my V1 yet, and must use the lower passenger footwell outlet to power it for now, which means I have to remember to turn the detector on/off manually each trip.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 AM
RH512 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gpjli
I keep car in drvway. Run extension cord from nearest outlet. Use trickle charger w cigarette lighter connection as found on the compact oem unit or the like. Thin wire from lighter connector will pass out the door w no problem. Put the charger body and plugs in a waterproof container (my wife's tupperware) and put it under the car. Lock it up. Use car cover over the whole shebang. Voila....
The Porsche charger is made by CTEK and equivalent to the MULTI US 3300.

From their website
"Being approved for outdoor use and being extremely durable makes them flexible, practical and correctly designed for safety. That they can then be left unattended for long periods makes them really simple and convenient, in addition to extremely practical."

With your tupperware container should be more than adequate.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Yes. Ctec is waterproof but I wouldn't want it sitting under water for too long. The box lets you protect the connection btwn the charger and the power cord as well. You need to make an entrance/exit hole for the wires at the top just below the cover. Your wife won't want it back after that