997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Multi-function wheel upgrade for 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
I got my MF steering face plate today and I just got off the phone with Suncoast. They recommended this installation by the local dealer since it involves airbag and its needs activation of function. I would love to try the install myself( I'm very hands on) but I need more info before I proceed.

John

Old 11-18-2009, 03:11 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
defff need multi function , Cant wait to see/hear your results so I can place my order too, the steering wheel looks much cooler with the multi function buttons

Last edited by PersianGodFatha; 11-18-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Kaz
Kaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the rough
Hey guys I just completed the multifunction swap myself this week. It can definitely be a diy job just requires some patience in removing the pieces. I will post some pics for you on where to pry the silver plastic T piece off the wheel. Dealer shouldn't charge you very much to activate the multifunction via PIWIS.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Kaz
Hey guys I just completed the multifunction swap myself this week. It can definitely be a diy job just requires some patience in removing the pieces. I will post some pics for you on where to pry the silver plastic T piece off the wheel. Dealer shouldn't charge you very much to activate the multifunction via PIWIS.

do the buttons light up? cant wait to see pics...

Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Kaz
Kaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the rough
Yes buttons light up

Old 11-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Kaz
Originally Posted by greenpdk
I just ordered one too. Thanks for the find. If anyone knows the install steps, please post.

1. Park car with steering wheel straight.

2. Remove Keys from ignition.

3. Disconnect negative Battery Terminal

4. There is a small hole under the steering wheel. Push an allen wrench until you feel it touch a piece of metal then slowly advance further until airbag pins are released

5.Pull out the airbag and you will see three connectors (two that attach to the airbag and one which is ground wire for the horn. Disconnect all three. Put airbag in a safe location. Disconnect orange clip connecting steering wheel to steering column.

6.Remove the steering wheel with an XZN triple square socket and 5” extension for your ratchet. You can find the socket at SnapOn Stock#: BLPXZNM389. You need the #12.

7.Hold the steering wheel and loosen this bolt. Carefully remove the steering wheel. Don’t twist or rock the wheel…take it straight off. This is really important so that you don’t lose the alignment of your wheel. Another method others have used is to use a marker at 12 oclock on both the steering wheel and the column after you remove the bolt to reorient you when putting the wheel back on.

8.Release the spring pictured below by pushing down on spring with screw driver

I didn’t take a picture of the next step: push up the metal ring that the spring is attached to so that it can clear the metal notches at the base of the steering wheel that are holding it in.

9. Remove the pdk switches. You will need some force in this step. I put a knife in to separate the two pieces.

10. After you separate the two pieces, the part facing the rear will come off and reveal the following picture.

11. Unscrew the two torx screws holding the black plastic piece down. Pull off black plastic piece.

12. Next few steps require releasing the 8 rivets which anchor the Plastic T piece to your steering wheel. Be advised that you have to pay very close attention to not damage your steering wheel. I used a knife but made sure to wrap it with cloth tape (my pics below don’t demonstrate that so make sure you do something to protect the leather on your wheel from getting damaged.) Make note that there are a total of 8 anchor points which hold the plastic T-piece to the steering wheel as you can see in pic below. 3 at 9 oclock 3 at 3 oclock and 2 at 6 oclock. I recommend also looking at your new T piece to familiarize yourself with all 8 locations.

13. Release the two rivets at 6 oclock

14. Release the three rivets at 9 oclock. In this step you should work on the two that are closer to the center of the wheel first. To achieve that put in a lever as far as you can as pictured below and slowly wedge back and forth until you feel that they are released. You can only go from the bottom side for good positioning.

15. Release the outermost third rivet on the same side that you were working on.

16. Repeat steps 14 and 15 for the three rivets at 3 oclock.

17. Now that all 8 rivets are free you can slowly pull out the T piece. Make sure your metal ring at the center is pushed all the way up so that it can clear the steering wheel.

18. Pop in the new piece and you’ve got yourself a new wheel.

To replace your steering wheel onto car:
  • put steering wheel back on steering column. Torque center screw to 37 ft lbs
  • reattach airbag to the three harness wires that you removed earlier
  • After you put the wheel on, and reattach the negative battery terminal, you need to start the car. It will give you a PSM failure and probably an airbag light. Multifunction wont work until dealer activates via PIWIS.

Last edited by Kaz; 11-19-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:59 AM
talkinghead is on a distinguished road
Nice work Kaz! Definately not for the faint of heart!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Great write up Kaz! The install is fairly challenging that's why we have been suggesting to take it to the dealer.

We will certainly tell customers to check out your write up if they feel like doing the install.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Another Thumbs Up for Kaz...great writeup. I like to think I can take on various projects, but this is one that I'd rather pay a professional to get it right.

Now I just have to decide whether or not to get mine done!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
I bought the entire steering wheel and did it back in April. Doing it with this upgrade saves money on the purchase but costs more in labor. My swap was $20 and took my tech 5 minutes, and the entire steering wheel is in tact and never disassembled. So for those that bought the whole wheel, don't feel bad. You ended up paying maybe $400 more but you have a wheel that can actually be re-sold on Ebay for probably at least that much when you are done with the car and your wheel is completely intact and never disassembled.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Great write up. Now I know I don't have the nerve to do it myself. I vote for a sticky...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Nice write up - doesn't look too tough. Much simpler than replacing the hand brake and shifter which I did do myself. Some trim tools and patience should get it done. I could have saved at least $700 doing it this way - not going to lose sleep over it, but I wish that alternative had been there earlier. Oh well.

It's a good upgrade though - I really am enjoying having it.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:56 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
Nice write up. Does the wheel really need to come off? I was told it could be left on? Probably much easier to work on if its off? Dont suppose you took a shot of the bolt that holds the wheel on? Sounds like its the same bolt from the 997.1. cheers, Z

Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Kaz
Originally Posted by zschicago
Nice write up. Does the wheel really need to come off? I was told it could be left on? Probably much easier to work on if its off? Dont suppose you took a shot of the bolt that holds the wheel on? Sounds like its the same bolt from the 997.1. cheers, Z
No wheel doesnt really need to come off but I think the job becomes exponentially more difficult to perform with it on.

Yes the bolt that holds the 997.2 pdk steering wheel on is the same as the 997.1.

I can help you with the install if interested just bring me some beer and we're in business.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Kaz
No wheel doesnt really need to come off but I think the job becomes exponentially more difficult to perform with it on.

Yes the bolt that holds the 997.2 pdk steering wheel on is the same as the 997.1.

I can help you with the install if interested just bring me some beer and we're in business.
Kaz, Ill get you alllll the beer you want for some install help...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multi-function wheel upgrade for 997.2