997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Any of your friends get 997S fever ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Any of your friends get 997S fever ?

Sometimes the car comments from non Porsche owners are amusing . It's not always the envy expressed on the drive the 997 to work thread .

There are some people who simply have no interest in cars . They know what a Porsche is and may have seen the 997S in traffic or on the streets . Sometimes their reaction is " I can't . it costs too much . I have kids . I am too old. I am too heavy . My back hurts . I like a big car. I need a truck to drive even though never haul anything . I want to save gas with an economy car . After my kids finish college .. when I am too old , too heavy .. etc"

They either miss the calling or they simply never had it . And by the way that's OK . Some people have other priorities .. like landscaping ,home improvement . travel, clothes , or saving for the rainy day and watching reality TV.

But then out of the blue .. comes one with 997S fever . It's a person who loves the car and wants one . Some buy it while others just short short of buying it.

I have one friend who really really wants one . He has taken the time to learn everything I could answer . For two years he has looked at the car , got the brochures , and wrestled with buying it . The only thing that stopped him was that he needs a daily driver , bought it first and now waits -- he has to be ready .

For some the build up of owning the car only heightens the actual moment when the word "yes" is said to the sale.

Any of you guys notice any of this with others? I even find that the ones who would never buy it .. still pause for a moment to think . One thing is unanimous though -- they all show a lot of respect and admiration for what the car is in its category.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Jetpilot3 is on a distinguished road
I agree...

Life is way too short not to have this car as a daily driver. Enough said.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:20 AM
vexed is on a distinguished road
I was one of them until last year. When I bought my prior car I drove a 997.1 and talked myself out of it as not a practical DD. In the intervening 2 years my business partner who has a 2006 C4S slowly but surely worked on me, giving me brochures, telling me how he carried his teenage son in the back...

I would come here and read about the 997s. I would always look closely when I saw one go by.

Last year my wife reminded me "get it before you are too old to enjoy it..." Took one home (which I ended up buying) told the kids "see if you fit in the back" and here I am.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
I dont have many close friends that have one. I think there are car guys who like sports cars and othes who like sedans and SUV's. My one close buddy has a 911 and a Ferrari and we talk cars a lot. He got his Porsche within a few months after 1 got my third (maybe I influenced him )

We both have a bond that way. My other buddies drive X5's or 5 series BMW's and would never buy a Porsche. They like them but dont get it.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
...There are some people who simply have no interest in cars...
I would have a lot more money in the bank, were I one of them.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I wish I knew of friends who suffer from 911 fever. I would love to treat such cases. Unfortunately none of my friends can justify mustering 100 to 120 K for a car. None of them are car enthusiasts. That is why I visit this site more often than their homes. Even the folks in the upper echelon who I know would rather buy a Lexus/Acura (for the "value for money") if they truly want a non-Honda/Toyota vehicle. For several of them BMW is the ultimate sports luxury car. They classify my car as an exotic sports car. Wonder what they would call Maserati/Ferraris, Lambo's and Aston's.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
even worse, I have friends who go gaga over seeing my porsche, and as soon as I start explaining DFI engines, brakes, and other 911 attributes, their eyes glaze over and they become completely disinterested! For them, it is the image that gets the blood pumping. Truth be told, I simply don't understand THEM!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:24 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Many Porsche owners are just like your friend - for many people, justifiedly so, a sports car purchase is not an impulse buy. One day he will have one.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
My friends are either into cars or simply looks at it as a means to get from A to B. Not many in between. The ones who aren't into cars are heavy into sports and working out (either weights or MMA).

Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 07speed
My friends are either into cars or simply looks at it as a means to get from A to B. Not many in between....
Same with my friends. I once tried explaining that it made going from A to B more exciting, and that running errands all of a sudden became a joyous experience...and they looked at me like i was high. haha.

-Alex

Old 01-23-2010, 04:00 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
\

You got that straight! First there was my Cayenne S, then the Boxster RS60 Spyder (which was too small for me), and now the 997, which fits like a glove.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
some of my friends are so disinterested that they've never cared to ask for a ride. One of them is my crewman on the racer. When i'm with them we never talk cars.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I have thought of this as well but I also feel that owning thse cars has provided a lifetime memory . I am not sure if the financial hole created by owning them would surpass the emotional void of going through an entire life wanting one and never following through.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I wish I knew of friends who suffer from 911 fever. I would love to treat such cases. Unfortunately none of my friends can justify mustering 100 to 120 K for a car. None of them are car enthusiasts. That is why I visit this site more often than their homes. Even the folks in the upper echelon who I know would rather buy a Lexus/Acura (for the "value for money") if they truly want a non-Honda/Toyota vehicle. For several of them BMW is the ultimate sports luxury car. They classify my car as an exotic sports car. Wonder what they would call Maserati/Ferraris, Lambo's and Aston's.
I know quite a few in the Lexus /Acura category . It's where an understated vehicle provides value, reliability and above average customer service . It's as if they think of everything except that the car itself is actually priced high in terms of how mediocre it drives . It's as if their effort to add a little spice to being rational loses sight of any joy from driving . They may feel that spending extra to buy a Porsche or BMW is wasted but I feel that the price above a standard Accord or Camry to buy an Acura TL or Lexus Gs is actually the greater loss .

How would such an individual view a Ferrari ? I can only guess and say that it would be viewed as a complete waste of money . It might even bother them to think of it. They woild think of every practical thing which could have been bought in its place .

Ironically .. these same individuals think nothing of taking an expensive vacation . It's money spent far quicker than a Porsche could depreciate if one does travels twice a year in high end style. So it's not that they fear spending money .. they simply overlook driving as something worth spending money on.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Many Porsche owners are just like your friend - for many people, justifiedly so, a sports car purchase is not an impulse buy. One day he will have one.
He knows that for his budget it might be a once in a lifetime purchase . Someone more impulsive might know that another porsche is attainable. So I think that for him it's a matter of picking the right car and he was almost ready. Then PDK came out .

There is one other thing which lingers in his thoughts . Back in 2003 when my 2002 996 had the entire front end torn off by theives to steal the xenon lights he saw my car. It shocked both of us . It took me a long time to heal too but in his case the thought of something like this happening to a once in a lifetime Porsche is too much to handle. He has voiced this to me. Even now .. many years later. So he bought the daily driver and he's almost ready .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any of your friends get 997S fever ?