997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Quick review - Cargraphic/Tubi/Gundo Mufflers and Fabspeed x-pipe/ AWE cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Quick review - Cargraphic/Tubi/Gundo Mufflers and Fabspeed x-pipe/ AWE cats

Well, i've been through a couple of exhausts in the past couple months and thought i would share my experience up to now

I started with a set of Tubi's w/stock cats, sounded good....but not great (at least for me) In my hunt for a bit of grunt i bought a set of Cargraphic mufflers and a set of Gundo's, as well as a set of AWE cats & a the Fabspeed X-Pipe 200 cel cats. Here's my quick 12 cents;

btw 'scoring' is based on my own personal experience, nothing scientific....

My car is a 2006 C4S w/X51 headers

Tubi Mufflers - I found the sound to be a bit on the high note, sounded good, but not what i was looking for. On a cold morning they did sound really nice, but as they warmed up I felt like i was driving an Italian car (i guess the are made in Italy ) - Didn't feel any power gains of any sort. For me, these were a 7 out of 10, nothing wrong, just not for me

Cargraphic Mufflers - Holy Crap......sounds freakin amazing.....i can't say enough good things about them, from build quality to the phenomenal sound that comes out of them. Sounds kind of like my 993...sweet sweet sound - Didn't feel any power gains but didn't care, these are an 11 out of 10 for me

Gundo's - Sounds amazing, I really like the sound and can't believe this noise comes from a set of stock cans with a 2" pipe added. I would have kept them, but couldn't resist the Cargraphics. No power gains, but these score a 10 out of 10 for me

AWE Cats - Changed the sound of my car, sportier, not lower just louder by maybe 10/20%, loved them, went on really easily, and felt a bit of a power gain,these sounded great with the Gundo's but they complemented my Cargraphics very very very well. I'd give these a 9 out of 10

Fabspeed X-Pipe - Changed the sound of my car, again sportier, not lower, just louder by maybe 20%, almost like the AWE Cats (but didn't sound as great) - Didn't feel any power gain whatsoever, which surpised me a bit, not sure why. I'd give these ones 6 out of 10

So unfortuately I installed the AWE cats before the Fabspeed's, I sold the AWE cats to a friend of mine who wanted to try them and now he loves them, so my current setup is the Cargraphic Mufflers w/the Fabspeed X-Pipe which does sound good, no drone and can be pretty tame as long as you don't open it. I will be on the hunt again for some AWE cats as i really did like them

Lesson learned---.........Cargraphic's & AWE Cats.......but that's just my taste

Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Wooo hooo!
Awesome self-inflicted Guinea-pigging, my friend! Your subjective review is right inline with what I expected, so I am surprised you sold the AWE's before trying the FS cats. AWE are the ticket, if I come across a set I'll grab 'em for you.

As for the cans, the Gundo Hack is a 10/10 and Cargraphic an 11/10, pretty amazing, eh? When you consider the Gundo's can be done for $100-$150 vs. $1,700 for the Cargraphics, it's even more impressive.

Have you installed the EVOMS CAI? That'll change the sound (for the better) a bit, too.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 03-24-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
My neighbors love me......luckily i have a guy with 3 Harley's who live across the street....so he still qualifies as the 'loud' guy on the street

Hopefully he doesn't move,,,,,otherwise i'll become "That guy"

Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
Wooo hooo!
Awesome self-inflicted Guinea-pigging, my friend! Your subjective review is right inline with what I expected, so I am surprised you sold the AWE's before trying the FS cats. AWE are the ticket, if I come across a set I'll grab 'em for you.

As for the cans, the Gundo Hack is a 10/10 and Cargraphic an 11/10, pretty amazing, eh? When you consider the Gundo's can be done for $100-$150 vs. $1,700 for the Cargraphics, it's even more impressive.

Have you installed the EVOMS CAI? That'll change the sound (for the better) a bit, too.
CATTMAN

You're right on the money.....the Gundo's are great, again for a set of stock can and a 2" pipe how can you go wrong???

I was VERY lucky, as I picked up both a set of Gundo's & the Cargraphic's from a fellow member for a freakin amazing price, he must have felt sorry for me

I did install the Evoms CAI, i really like it and it added a nice touch, you can really hear it sucking in the air at high RPM's,,,but honestly the Cargraphics drown out everything with its glorious sound

Last edited by w00zie; 03-24-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Either of you guys still have the Gundos and want to sell?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 PM
PM sent

Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Sometimes its the journey... not the destination.

Shoulda tried the tubi's mated to the fabspeed x-pipe... that's what I have and it sounds amazing. Of course, I prefer the higher pitched exhaust sound.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by w00zie
I will be on the hunt again for some AWE cats as i really did like them...
There's a guy here in the UK with a pair of AWE cats for sale on a local Porsche forum:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=52517

Shipping is not expensive to the US so maybe you could cut a deal?

Last edited by Ian_UK1; 03-25-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Youyou is on a distinguished road
I'll buy the Gundo's.
Pm me if they're still available.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 AM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Sometimes its the journey... not the destination.

Shoulda tried the tubi's mated to the fabspeed x-pipe... that's what I have and it sounds amazing. Of course, I prefer the higher pitched exhaust sound.
The new Tubi for 997.2 comes with crosspipe.
Guess I like a high pitch. My Tubi definately sounds better after it has warmed up.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I love my Tubis...

Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Gundo's just got more expensive, I think.
CATTMAN

Old 03-25-2010, 06:14 PM
superman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nice
+1 for Tubi....love the sound! curious about adding the awe cats and/or the x51 headers but i dont want it to get too loud

Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'm running the Fabspeed x-pipe and mufflers, equal length headers and the Fabspeed CF Maxflo Competition Air intake (new) and it sounds outstanding. Very hard edge at high RPM/WOT. Couldn't be happier, though, from what I've read, I'm glad I have never heard the CarGraphic up close.
What is surprising is how the sound changes for the better (louder and edgier) as the car warms up. It takes quite some time for the full sound to evidence itself.