997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Home-made Ramp for Oil Changes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Vinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to behold
Talking Home-made Ramp for Oil Changes...

I decided to make my own ramp for lifting my CS2 high enough just for me to be able to take the oil lug nut off and for a regular oil emptying pan to fit under the car. Worked pretty well! And only cost me less than 40 bucks and about 2.5 hours out of my day today.

I bought a couple of 1ft x 12ft lumber and had they guys at Home Depot cut them for me in 3 feet sections:

Then I set my saw blade to a 45 degree angle cut:

Then I stacked two of them on top of each other, setting the top board back, sorta like a step:

I used 3 inch deck screws to secure them to each other:

The ones for the rears are pictured here. I screwed a piece of tire stops to the rear. Didn't have to do them for the ones for the front tires:

Once done, I tested them and they work great!

Vince

Last edited by Vinnysca; 06-28-2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
good project and nice write-up...rep to you sir

Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Rep points. Excellent idea!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:05 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vinnysca
I decided to make my own ramp for lifting my CS2 high enough just for me to be able to take the oil lug

Vince
OMG Vince, sorry man but here is what you really needed:
http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Rhino-Ra...7687066&sr=8-1

your DIY stuff is great but those rhinos are pretty well built too.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Vinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
OMG Vince, sorry man but here is what you really needed:
http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Rhino-Ra...7687066&sr=8-1

your DIY stuff is great but those rhinos are pretty well built too.
I saw those a while back, but didn't think they would clear the front plastic fenders. I get a kick out of building something and this surely was a worthwhile Sunday afternoon project.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice work. I've seen variations with 3 boards for increased height but those look great. Well done.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:00 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
It is a great idea and very good write-up......I do it every time I need to jack my car up.With side-skirts and being lowered....it is a must to get things up before that jack will even go under!
I personally use 3 boards as posted above.......

Stacy

Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, that is how i do oil changes on all the rear engine stuff. Luckily i had built ramps to get my car on the trailer, so they can double as oil change ramps. When you are done, stand them against the wall and secure with a bungee cord and they don't take up any space either.

P.S. Since it is flat wood on a smooth garage floor, you may find they slip if using them for other cars (usually i had the problem with 944/928 when trying to drive forward up on them), and the boards would slide across the garage if you didn't hit them with speed. It just takes a couple of rubber pieces (old mud flap pieces work good) glued to the bottom to cure that.

The rhino's are notorious for that, a lot of cars you can' get up on them because the ramps want to keep shooting out from underneath as you try and get up on them. Threw out my set years ago.

Last edited by IAPorscheDoc; 06-28-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
Yup, that is how i do oil changes on all the rear engine stuff. Luckily i had built ramps to get my car on the trailer, so they can double as oil change ramps. When you are done, stand them against the wall and secure with a bungee cord and they don't take up any space either.

P.S. Since it is flat wood on a smooth garage floor, you may find they slip if using them for other cars (usually i had the problem with 944/928 when trying to drive forward up on them), and the boards would slide across the garage if you didn't hit them with speed. It just takes a couple of rubber pieces (old mud flap pieces work good) glued to the bottom to cure that.

The rhino's are notorious for that, a lot of cars you can' get up on them because the ramps want to keep shooting out from underneath as you try and get up on them. Threw out my set years ago.
I had a set of Rhino type ramps in the past and they were bad at sliding around, especially when there was a bit of rain involved. If you are looking for some rubber to prevent slippage, go to a printshop (not photocopying) and ask them for an old blanket or two.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Quik lift of Broken Arrow, Okla. has great lift for under 1K that will get the car up just far enough for removing wheels and tires and oil changes.... I spend most of the winter under the car on a creeper cleaning the undercarriage.. My wife has woken me up more than once while I was sleeping under the car...

Last edited by jakesdad; 06-29-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jakesdad
Quik lift of Broke Arrow, Okla. has great lift for under 1K that will get the car up just far enough for removing wheels and tires and oil changes.... I spend most of the winter under the car on a creeper cleaning the undercarriage.. My wife has woken me up more than once while I was sleeping under the car...
LOL.....I thought I was the only one who did this come winter time,GLAD to see there is TWO crazy people out there!
Congrats on a clean car.......

Stacy

Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
LOL.....I thought I was the only one who did this come winter time,GLAD to see there is TWO crazy people out there!
Congrats on a clean car.......

Stacy
Yeah Stacy, but your wife doesn't wake you up, she lets you sleep there under the car all night. LOL

Last edited by keninirvine; 06-28-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Vinnysca,

I'd say we had the same car but I don't recognize the wheel emblems... I bought a PRG launch car last Sept. and your car is as close to mine as I've seen.. Just now getting used to the exterior color and have tried to get some black into the interior to break up the beige a little...

Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by jakesdad
Vinnysca,

I'd say we had the same car but I don't recognize the wheel emblems... I bought a PRG launch car last Sept. and your car is as close to mine as I've seen.. Just now getting used to the exterior color and have tried to get some black into the interior to break up the beige a little...
Hey man,

I agree about breaking up the beige interior a little. In fact, I was looking at possibly changing the seatbelts to RED to match the brake calipers. But, I am weary of taking the interior panels apart myself. Even though I have the panel removal tools already. If I can find a diagram somewhere that tells me where the snaps are, then I may want to take this on. Hmmmmm. We'll see.

As far as the racing green exterior, I can't tell you how many times I get compliments on it from pedestrians. Glad I got this color instead of the common white, black or red.

I will be taking on removing the bumper after work today. I will go to home depot first to get a black mesh screen to see if I can put them on as a protective grill mesh to prevent leaves and debris from getting in. I don't know if I should apply the mesh in the front scoops though. Because I know that smaller stuff can still fly in through the mesh and if I have them all covered, then there is no way for me to even snake in my shop vac to clean inside of it.

I'll keep you guys posted. Shouldn't take me long I don't think.

Vince

Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Vinnysca
Hey man,

I agree about breaking up the beige interior a little. In fact, I was looking at possibly changing the seatbelts to RED to match the brake calipers. But, I am weary of taking the interior panels apart myself. Even though I have the panel removal tools already. If I can find a diagram somewhere that tells me where the snaps are, then I may want to take this on. Hmmmmm. We'll see.

As far as the racing green exterior, I can't tell you how many times I get compliments on it from pedestrians. Glad I got this color instead of the common white, black or red.

I will be taking on removing the bumper after work today. I will go to home depot first to get a black mesh screen to see if I can put them on as a protective grill mesh to prevent leaves and debris from getting in. I don't know if I should apply the mesh in the front scoops though. Because I know that smaller stuff can still fly in through the mesh and if I have them all covered, then there is no way for me to even snake in my shop vac to clean inside of it.

I'll keep you guys posted. Shouldn't take me long I don't think.

Vince
I suspect that it would be a good idea to take pics from beginning to end...
Not much for your benefit but for ours

Suncoast had the black Porsche mats on sale for 40 bucks... The very same mats that were shipped with the car... I ordered another pair after I saw the quality of the mats....They were the exact mats cut and fit as the originals....