997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

sticky pcm radio knobs (997)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
sticky pcm radio ***** (997)

Has anyone had to replace the 2 ***** on the 997.1 PCM because they were getting a little sticky / tacky?

I take it the sun, heat, and humidity degrade the material. They aren't cleaning up very well. (I'm ordering new dials from Suncoast.)

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
No but mine are the same way and have thought about ordering new ones. Since I bought the car used I dont even know what they are supposed to be like fresh. Some input once you have the new ones would be great.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
plantagenet is on a distinguished road
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have this issue on my car and was just wondering if anyone had ordered these and whether they were easy to install or not?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
evhudsons will become famous soon enoughevhudsons will become famous soon enough
When I got my car it was the same thing too, but I thought there was just some grunge on there. It was really sticky and tacky. I just took a moist rag and carefully wiped it clear unit it wasn't sticky anymore.

I do have the wearing off the paint of the fan switches but I found the thread to have it repainted.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Many have done it. Get them Suncoast or Sunset Porsche. Takes all of 20 seconds to replace them.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Gary B has a spectacular aura aboutGary B has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mshanler
Has anyone had to replace the 2 ***** on the 997.1 PCM because they were getting a little sticky / tacky?

I take it the sun, heat, and humidity degrade the material. They aren't cleaning up very well. (I'm ordering new dials from Suncoast.)
I've only had my 997C2S two months but noticed the radio **** being sticky. Thanks for the info on the replacement.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
OCT
OCT is on a distinguished road
i took them off and rub with alcohol
They are really nice plastic looking now...

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
disfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to behold
Do the ***** just pull off? Mine are sticky too. It seems like they have a rubberized coating that fails. If I rub with alcohol will that coating come all the way off? What is left behind just the black plastic underneath?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM
OCT
OCT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by disfin
Do the ***** just pull off? Mine are sticky too. It seems like they have a rubberized coating that fails. If I rub with alcohol will that coating come all the way off? What is left behind just the black plastic underneath?
yep, just pull off.
I did rub the coating off
And it's just hard black plastic underneath.
It's better than sticky sticky.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 PM
2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold
When I first took delivery from Florida to NC my dials and my ac unit controls were like this. I made the dealership replace both, the dials just pop on and off, but the entire ac control unit had to be replaced.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
disfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to beholddisfin is a splendid one to behold
Mine had the ac unit replaced already while still under warranty luckily. Only the two little ***** need to be replaced at this point. Now that I know it's an easy replacement I'll add that to the list, thanks.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 AM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !

I have an 06 Cayenne and the radio ***** were sticky and you could no longer see the paint markings. Was going to order new ones, but decided to try and clean them first. Used 409 first, then a vinyl cleaner and then 303 Protectant. Came out looking just like new. Think most of the stickyness (is that a word?) comes from dirt, oil from your hands, etc.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Just grab & pull them off.
It's just the plastic breaking down back to its basic component. Oil.
It happens most frequently with the "soft rubber like" plastics.
Doesn't seem to be any time period as to when it will happen though.
Just buy new ones.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM
BigEd is on a distinguished road
I had one that was sticky and the other not. I pulled it off and doused with rubbing alcohol. Little rub with my thumb and rinsed with the alcohol again. Looks and feels just like the one that wasn't sticky now. Worth a try.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
If cleaning them doesn't work, we have brand new ***** ready to be purchased. For more information Click Here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sticky pcm radio knobs (997)