997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Narrow vs. Wide body 997/911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Perfect5storm is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by autobahn it
44mm - 1.75 inches? Is that 1.17 inches wider per side... or total of 1.75 inches wider?
less than 1 inch wider per side hardly seems like it would matter.
44mm is total. Widebodies also about 10 mm lower. Combined with the width difference you can notice a difference even if your not sure what the difference is.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Weasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really nice
Is the WB 44mm wider in track width too -- or is the track wider by some other amount? Wondering if a 15mm spacer on a WB puts the rear wheel in the same place as it would on a NB relative to the outer edges of their respective rear fenders.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 PM
akim47 will become famous soon enoughakim47 will become famous soon enough
it's weird... for some reason, you can tell the difference, as subtle as it may be...

however, have you guys ever thought that there is something inherently weird about having wider rear wheels on an all wheel drive car???

Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by akim47
it's weird... for some reason, you can tell the difference, as subtle as it may be...
It's the extra material you see outside the tail lights on the wide bodies, see above comparison.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM
52topps is an unknown quantity at this point
Which models have teh wide body?

So in the future I would like to buy a 911 Porsche. 997 and 991 fall under 911 correct. Either way I'm confused about the whole family tree of vehicles.

I would like a wide body. Wide body refers to the extra wheel well sticking out in the back both sides, right?

So does each year have a specific 911 that has the wide body? OR is only certain years. How do I get a wide body? Someone please list the specific years and or models that have the wide body.

I don't need a collectable. I'm looking for a fun vehicle to drive during the summer from May 1 to Nov 15 and then it gets put away. And I want it to be a Porsche. I also want to pick up my daughter at school for lunch out with her dad. ME! The pick up location is right in front of the big lunch room windows at her school I want to have fun with my new toy.

Also is it bad to buy a 911 with say 70K,80K,90K or 100K on it? Especially if all the maintenance was done and it can be proven that it was done.

Thanks

Rob

Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
991 series cars and 997 series cars are both 911s. The 997 launched in the US in 2005, replacing the older 996 series. The 997 was replaced by the 991 in 2012.

Wide body 911s are typically the AWD variants (but not always). In the 991 and 997 series, these include the Carrera 4, the Carrera 4S, the Turbo and the Turbo S. In the 991 series, the Turbo and Turbo S are even wider than the others, more of a mega-wide body. The wide body refers to the entire width of the rear of the vehicle, including the rear track, the rear fenders and the rear bumper. It has nothing to do with making the wheels stick out from under the fender; you can do this on any car with wheel spacers (not sure if that's what you meant or not).

For reference, this configuration has not always been the case. In the 996 series cars, the Carrera 4 is a narrow body car. The Carrera 4S and the Turbo are wide body cars. There are several other variants out there: the GTS models are wide body cars, but they are RWD as opposed to AWD.

There's nothing wrong with buying a 911 with 70K+ miles. With proper maintenance, these cars are designed to last for many, many miles. Just do your homework and get a good pre-purchase inspection before you buy to try to mitigate the risk of any major problems.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM
What a mess trying to figure out what is wide bdy and what is not. Im writing all of this down.

So......
NB Carrera, Carrera 4
WB Carrera 4S, Turbo

WB C4, C4S, Turbo, TurboS GTS

WB C4, C$S
Mega Wide Turbo and Turbo S

Does this look correct. Please tell me if I need to add stuff.

Also I can't afford a turbo. My buddy says a turbo on a car that gets almost 400HP isn't needed. Your thoughts.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Also which wide models have the cool fin in the back that goes up and down. Im actually very mechanical and can fix almost anything on a car. Im a jeep owner that should say it all.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM
sleepy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 52topps
Does this look correct. Please tell me if I need to add stuff.

Also I can't afford a turbo. My buddy says a turbo on a car that gets almost 400HP isn't needed. Your thoughts.
Your list is missing the Targas for the 997 and 991.

It used to be very simple with 997s -- AWD models were all WB and RWD were all NB. Later in 997's product cycle, Porsche decided to mix things up and offered a few RWD models with WB -- GTS, GT2s, GT3 RS, Speedster, and Sport Classic.

Turbos have very different power delivery than the naturally aspirated Carreras. The Carrera engines' power curve is much more peaky. Some like it this way as an invitation to rev the engine sky high, but some simply like the low end torque of a Turbo. It's a personal preference so test drive both.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I live at roughly 8,000 feet of altitude, so I've always been partial to turbos. You never really need a turbo, it's a personal choice. Most 911s have a rear wing that extends at speed, although the turbo has a wing that can be seen in the retracted position as well as the extended position. The exception would obviously be a car with a fixed rear wing, like a GT3.

Overall, your list of narrow body vs. wide body cars look pretty good with the exceptions being listed above.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:25 PM
I added the Targa to the 997 list and the 991 list.

So what would be my next step in this search? I don't mind flying to another state to get the vehicle or test drive it.

i don't want a fixed tail fin. I would like people to see it when it goes up and down. What speed does the fin go up and the fin go down.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:56 PM
It goes up at 120 kmh (approximately 76 mph) and down at 50 kmh (approximately 37 mph).

I would search for specific models and specific features. Do you want a coupe or a cabriolet? Do you want a manual transmission? If not, do you mind Tiptronic, or would you prefer PDK (PDK is much better)? Do you want AWD or RWD? You should also identify other options you may or may not want, such as: Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE), Sport Chrono Package, Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB), etc. Once you've done this, then I'd search on autotrader.com, cars.com, and The Mart on the PCA website. You can also search here and on rennlist.com.

I would look for cars with service records, among other things.

Good luck - the hunt is really fun.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:57 PM
I want a coupe, automatic, PDK, and AWD,

O I need the sport exhaust.
I would like the ceramic brakes, aren't they the ones that come in the pretty red color.

Also what is sport chrono package?

Also what is the mart.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 AM
Do a little reasearch on 997 option packages and colors to help you decide what you like. There are many options available. Once you know, then you can start your search.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
From your questions, it's clear you need to spend some hours here and on Rennlist to understand the different models, their differences, which years have which issues, braking options, etc

Red brakes are steel, yellow calipers signify the carbon ceramics, unless someone painted their calipers yellow, but the rotor material is visibly different, plus the PCCBs have aluminum hat's, whereas the OEM steel rotors are one piece. There ate two piece steel rotors with aluminum hat's though, like from Girodisc, dba, and many others. You're going to need a thorough PPI on anything you're considering buying.

Different models also have different stock suspension heights. If you want awd, PDK, and WB, you need a 2009 or newer 4, 4s, turbo, or targa. With PDK, make sure it has at least the Sport Chrono package (there's a SC+ version as well). Full leather is also a must have option IMO which doesn't make everything leather but adds the doir panel tops, dash top, and some other areas.

Avoid cars from cold weather climates if possible to avoid a potential bore scoring issue.

Good luck with your search.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Narrow vs. Wide body 997/911