997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is a tire plug OK?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:38 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Is a tire plug OK?

I had my left rear tire plugged due to a nail puncture. I have tire insurance but should i worry about it or leave it alone? I don't feel like dealing with my dealer, loaner car etc.

Also I noticed how quickly the shop plugged my tire and i couldn't help but wonder if i should buy the same kit since i don't have a spare.

I found this kit on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T...826318&sr=8-10

Isn't that better than that goo stuff we have in our trunk?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:46 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Imho...

Originally Posted by akacaj
I had my left rear tire plugged due to a nail puncture. I have tire insurance but should i worry about it or leave it alone? I don't feel like dealing with my dealer, loaner car etc.

Also I noticed how quickly the shop plugged my tire and i couldn't help but wonder if i should buy the same kit since i don't have a spare.

I found this kit on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1288826318&sr=8-10

Isn't that better than that goo stuff we have in our trunk?
Don't use Slime or any other liquid patching agent... They ruin wheels.

I don't think anyone uses straight plugs anymore because they can leak.

A plug/patch is what they probably used... and they are a-ok.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 PM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
I keep a plug kit like that in a bag in the car - used a couple of times when a puncture occurs ...good enough to get you to your shop for a new tire

Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
ggregory is on a distinguished road
Absolutely!

I've had my share of tire issues with the 997, 4 flats in 1 year. Wrote a entire post on the problems I've had with flats.

A $30 tire plug is one of the best solutions possible. Purists will scoff, but if you plan on "normal" driving I don't see ANY problems whatsoever.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Ruby13 is on a distinguished road
Recently picked up a screw in my fairly new (2M miles) Yokohoma S drive rear. My indie plugged it and I then had it driven down to Florida 1400 miles and did not lose a pound of pressure. Screw was between two treads and not near the sidewall. I've had sidewalls go on low profile tires and had covered by insurance as they will not hold a patch.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I had a couple of flats back when I had Pirellis on. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it with a plug (multiple times). I even tracked the car without any issues... I'm pretty sure you'll be safe

Old 11-04-2010, 02:57 AM
jplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the rough
I plug my tires. Why? Because I like money AND I don't drive high speeds? Why don't I drive high speeds? Because I like money. Traffic tickets and insurance!

Anyway. I keep a plug kit and spare in the car. I have been driving on plugs since I was a teen. I am 51. I have never had a plug leak.

I also own several BMW's with run-flats. I defiantly plug them. Why? Because if they leak, you will not experience a blow out!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 AM
stilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud of
If there is any sidewall damage I replace the tire. Otherwise in my experience a plug works fine for my driving style & budget.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 AM
00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough
I've had many plugs placed on the porsche tires with no air leaks. I dont believe that you have to change the tire just bc of a nail or screw in the tread area. I dont track my cars so I cannot say that it is safe or not for tracking, but normal day to day driving I've had no problems with plugs.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
I have plugged tires in the past and, apart from the patch falling off if done badly, the biggest problem I have seen is when a broken part of the foreign object gets pushed into the tire when putting the plug in. I had a close call once when a piece of nail/screw got into the tire and it completely shredded the inside of the tire within a few hundred miles. I was very lucky to catch it.

My point is that plugs are not inherently bad but that if you use them, you probably want to take the tire off the rim anyway just to make sure there is nothing in there. And at that point, you might as well put a "real" vulcanized patch from the inside. I've used patches on the street and never had any issues.

That being said, I think a plug is perfectly fine as a temporary measure, just to limp until you get a more permanent fix, and way better than putting the "goop" in there.

So, IMHO, in order of preference:

1. Changing tire is the best (and what Porsche recommends), the problem with that approach is uneven thread wear, which is why it is the best solution commercially (buying one tire often seems to degenerate into four tires in my case).
2. Installing a patch is perfectly OK for street driving as long as the puncture is not near the sidewalls - but I am not sure I would want to carry that risk on the track though...
3. Putting a plug from the outside is just so-so because it can fail at higher speed and temperatures and because of the possibility of leaving foreign objects in there.
4. The goop

Just my 0.05,

T.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like I should look into getting it replaced if my insurance covers it. I have a scratch on one of my other wheels too so ill get them both fixed at once. Both should be covered by my wheel and tire insurance.

Originally Posted by 996PCarGo
Don't use Slime or any other liquid patching agent... They ruin wheels.
I don't think the product I linked to above is slime. Thats just the company name. It is a tire plug kit with rubber cement.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
If you have insurance, it is a no brainer IMHO.

T.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I agree that if you have the insurance get the new tire (if it covers it), otherwise get the tire removed and have a patch put on the inside of the tire and it will be fine.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Placed a call with my dealers service department 3 hours ago. Still haven't heard back from a service manager. I called a couple of days ago too and got the service managers voice mail. Receptionist isn't able to answer my questions.... I wasn't kidding when I said I don't feel like dealing with my dealer. Seems like their Porsche department is lacking. I have no problems with MB or Lexus from same dealer.

With Lexus I used to get Lexus loaners. Now with Porsche and MB I have to get an Enterprise car because Geico does not cover their loner cars.

I am going to give Porsche of Manhattan call and see if they are any better.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Anybody with comments on the using the pump that comes with the 997.1?

thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a tire plug OK?