997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Removing the ignition key while engine is running

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
csm356 will become famous soon enough
Question Removing the ignition key while engine is running

A couple of times, quite by accident and with surprise, I've removed the key from the ignition while the engine was running. I suppose the ability is by design, otherwise why would the manual have a warning against doing it?

"Never remove key from the ignition lock or turn
the key off while the vehicle is moving."
[ Owner's Manual 5/05 p81]

The warning is against locking the steering column while driving(!!), but the times I've done it, I've been parked. It was more a motion of not turning the ignition all the way off before pulling out the key and....I've got the key in my hand but the car is still running!

Do I just have a marginal ignition switch?

My 356 did this as well before I replaced the key with a separate ignition saftety switch and starter button (track). But that is a 50-year-old lock and I figured the interlock was just worn.

Though it seems I've answered my own question, I really do wonder if this is in fact by design on the 997? Seems frought with peril and I don't see much use for it given there aren't any external key openings besides the door.

I note the extensive steps you have to go through to remove a key that is trapped in the ignition from, e.g., a flat battery. Get out probe tool "A" from behind the cover, turn key, pry tiny plastic bit "B" off of ignition bezel, poke probe into opening, etc. All that also suggests that if you can take the key out at any time it is by design and not accident.

Still... Just seems very odd.

I did it again today and it seems related to having opened the door first, but I can't reproduce it! Haven't tried all combinations of foot on pedal, door open/closed, steering column position, shifter(tip) position, etc.
But I'm getting near to doing the full documented experiment.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:03 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I may be wrong, but I do not think I can pull out the key without rotating it left and shutting down the engine.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:24 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by adias
I may be wrong, but I do not think I can pull out the key without rotating it left and shutting down the engine.
Let you know in 10....

Correct - before the key will come out, the engine shuts down and...the key cannot be removed if not in P.

Maybe you want to ge that checked out.

Last edited by stevepow; 12-04-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
sullivas is on a distinguished road
My manual says the key is not removable with the engine running.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:02 PM
shumphries is on a distinguished road
The manual warning is to not remove the key while the car is "moving," not while the engine is running. If you want to push/pull the car while the engine is off, you should have the key in, so you can control the direction you push/pull it. Just a guess.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Time for a new ignition switch. No modern car in proper working order will let you remove the key the while car is running.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dadio
Time for a new ignition switch. No modern car in proper working order will let you remove the key the while car is running.

My 550i let me keep my key in my pocket - always. Although you could put the key in a slot to start the car, but I rarely if ever did it - no idea if once you do that, if you can then put it back in your pocket without stopping the car. A Lexus loaner we had recently was the same - key stays in pocket, button starts/stops the engine...maybe coming to a Porsche near you soon - - wouldn't surprise me.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Weasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really nice
Originally Posted by stevepow
My 550i let me keep my key in my pocket - always. Although you could put the key in a slot to start the car, but I rarely if ever did it - no idea if once you do that, if you can then put it back in your pocket without stopping the car. A Lexus loaner we had recently was the same - key stays in pocket, button starts/stops the engine...maybe coming to a Porsche near you soon - - wouldn't surprise me.

Ditto on my M6. It'll also let me lock the car once I've stepped out with the key in my pocket and closed the door...while the engine is running. May not be the safest setup, I know... but it sure comes in handy for short 2-minute errands around the neighborhood that ordinarily wouldn't give the engine a chance to fully warm up before multiple shut downs.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 AM
fontana302 is on a distinguished road
The BMW doesn't have a key like a Porsche, that's comfort access in the BMW. The so called BMW "key" doesn't need to be inserted to start the car, nor pressed to unlock the doors if you are outside the car, only needs to be in your pocket for both.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I liked the comfort access feature on my 335i. It would be nice to have on a Porsche. But, then again, it's just one more electronic item to go break.